• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 101 question: How to make simple link to a dynamically numbered step?

Participant ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experts:

Below in blue is a crude reprint of a piece of procedure in a RH 11 topic. The numbering is done via multilevel list.

What I'd like to do is make a link to step 10i at the end of step 10 c, such that it will appear as "c. Skip to step i". But I can't find how this is done.

Note that I have a bookmark at the start of step i. However, when I link to the bookmark in step c, it looks like this:

c. Skip to step XREF_13924_g_When_Oracle_11g.

I found I can trim the link text so that just the step number "g" is shown. But note that the step number is "g", not "i". This appears to be because the bookmark was created when the step was "g".

In short, I want the link text to change dynamically if the step of the link target is renumbered, like the way  it works in FrameMaker. How can this be done in RH? Is there a DHTML trick of some kind?

Thanks in advance!

-Kurt

9.   Review and optionally change the settings you’ve just entered.

10. If you are installing a single-tier system, or the database tier of a multi-tier system, when prompted to insert the Oracle 11g installation DVD, do the following:

a. If you’re installing from a DVD, put the Oracle database/Weblogic DVD in the DVD drive and press Enter.

b. Mount the DVD:

# mount /media/cdrom

c. Skip to step <link_to_step_i.>.

d. If you’re installing from a downloaded ISO file, open another console by holding down the Alt key and pressing the F2 key.         

e. Log in as root.

f. Mount the Oracle 11g ISO file:

# cd /u0x/tmp2/

# mount -t iso9660 -o loop x86_64_FULL.iso /media/cdrom

g. Switch back to the first console by holding down the Alt key and pressing the F1 key.

h. In the first console, press Enter to proceed with the Oracle 11g database installation.

i. When Oracle 11g has finished installing, unmount the DVD (or ISO file).

# umount /media/cdrom

(Stay logged in to the second console.)

11.   If you are installing a single-tier system, or the application-tier of a multi-tier system, when prompted to insert the Oracle WebLogic server installation DVD, do the following:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just ensure the bookmark is simply a bookmark and not a piece of selected text that made a bookmark. Then when the step changes, move the bookmark.

But this looks like you may be using RoboHelp for Word? If so, I have no idea how you would handle it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick-

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not useing RH Word, just WebHelp. I've imported an FM document, and it looks like the FM cross reference bookmarks got converted to RH bookmarks with names like. "xref...". Anyway, I deleted this, and created a new bookmark. If I use the default name, it looks like this:

c. Skip to step 5.7_Install_Instructions#When_Oracle_11g_has_finished_installing__unmount_the_DVD__or_ISO_file.

Now, I could of course manually type "i" and make a link out of it:

c. Skip to step i.

However, this "i" is static. Suppose I insert a step earlier on, thus renumbering the step to "j". Would I manually have to change the text in the link for "i" to "j"? I'd be surprised if RH doesn't have a way to put a <stepnum> field in the link, or some similar automated solution.

Thanks.

-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

When you create a bookmark the way I mentioned, you should end up with a little white flag. You are then able to click and drag the flag where you need the link to be. Even if the step is *I*, you would just drag the bookmark to the location where the step would be.

And where you have the link the user will click, you would instead of saying "Step I", use more descriptive text. Such as: Click here to skip to assembling the subframe.

Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick-

In some cases, I can see where one would want a link such as your example "Click here to skip to assembling the subframe." It seems to me that this would be fine for linking a step to a procedure. What I'm interested in is making a link from one step to another step.

Below is a screen shot with the white bookmark flags you mention. (Plz ignore text coloring.) It's got now the white flags you mention. The "h" is static (my current issue). What, if anything, would you do in this example.

BTW, I come from a FrameMaker world, which is of course the tool to use for printed media. I realize there could be new ways of writing procedures that I'm not yet familiar with.

Thanks again.

-Kurt

RH_link_example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp