Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Macromedia Projector Has Stopped Working" During Software Install

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2014 Mar 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening!

I have a customer whom, when trying to install software for their HP Scanjet 3000 s2, they receive the "Macromedia Projector has stopped working" error message once the .exe starts.

To note:

- Indirect (suspicious) software identified as potential malware was removed from their system

- The CD being used works fine on other systems for installing the software

- Used the following steps to complete fresh removal of Flash: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

- Installed Flash fine without issue, no resolve

- Unable to disable Data Execution Protection for the setup.exe file on the HP disc to possibly bypass this error

- Booting to Safe Mode with Networking allows setup.exe to start, then halts and disappears

- Customer also tried downloading Flash Player 12 Projector, however they noted this did not do anything for them

Are there any other ways to work around this error message?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2014 Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like DEP may still be the culprit. That or the installer is using an outdated and incompatible version of Projector in the installer. The fact that it refers to "Macromedia Projector" is the clue. It hasn't been called that since 2005. Check the disc to see if there are MSI installers or is you can run the setup.exe's from the disc instead of using the HP Interface.

On a personal note. I and my family have owned about half a dozen HP printers and have NEVER used the HP software for any of them. It's bloatware, screws with OS printer settings, and is basically unnecessary. There are plenty of free scanning apps out there.

Also, Photoshop, Fireworks, and Acrobat have native scanning buitl in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Mike,

The HP software is actually fairly new, for an HP Scanjet 3000 S2 just a few days old. We were able to confirm that it worked fine installing on another system, so fortunately we at least know the media is good.

The big "hiccup" is that for the scanner to function as my customer needs it to, the install process for the HP software requires a software install first - we have been successful at using an indirect setup.exe file and Add Device in Windows to install each separately, but they won't talk to each other that way.

To further complicate things, HP appears have pulled driver/software install support for devices like this to only allow access when providing the serial # of the device, with no direct downloads available. I am waiting for the customer to try reaching out to HP, however in the mean time am scratching my head at this Adobe issue.

And thus, that's what brought me here, of course!

I'll mention the other scanning software options to them as well - from what I understand they "needed" the HP software (HP Easy Scan) to use it for their needs on a workstation-turned-server.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All very valid points.

Being a Mac user, I've ALWAYS gone with Canon print, scan, photo and video products, because they've a long history of comaptibility with Macs. I have a Canon Pixma MX922 All-in-one, a Powershot still camera (dated, but still good), and a VIxia HF R400 camcorder.

I should note that I also have five Windows machines (XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 8,1) and they ALL work with each piece of Canon equipment. While the camera and All-in-one came with proprietary software, I installed it on each system using the individual installers (setup.exe), and everything still works when launched.

I find it ironic that HP makes most of their stuff for PC's and yet they have most all of their software troubles with PCs. Most Mac users who use HP printers and scanners use the native drivers in OS X, and choose not to run the HP software, because most times it won't install, or if it does, it doesn't work anywhere near as well as OS X scanning and printer apps do.

In 2009 I got my dad a new e-machine to replace one he got in 2002. His HP All-in-one had died also, and he was about to replace it with another when I convinced him to switch to Canon. He'd had years of trouble with his HP software: the scanner would drop after every use and he had to reinstall so often that he actually copied the installers to his desktop so he wouldn't need to mess with the CD-R anymore. He was delighted when he plugged in the Canon and it rans throiugh the Windows hardware wizard, and his new All-in-one was all set to go, with Photoshop Elements or Acrobat Pro.

I know none of that helps with the situation, but perhaps the customer might consider dumping a customer and hardware unfriendly company in favor onme that actually makes the effort to get and keep things working.

From a Flash Player standpoint, the best I could recommend would be a clean installof FP and Shockwave. You probably know the routine, but here is a full clean install:

Download the following:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Flash Player Uninstaller

Also, download these:

Shockwave Player Uninstaller

Shockwave Player 112 FULL installer (other browsers)

You'll need to install Shockwave with the FULL installer for IE too, but there isn't a direct download for it. You'll need to go to: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/otherversions/ using IE AFTER everything else is done.

Save all the files and close your browser.

Run the uninstallers first (both of them)

Go to: C/Windows/System32

Delete the Macromed folder.

Go to: C/Windows/SysWOW64

Delete the Macromed folder.

Open your Registry Editor (Start>Run or press the Windows key + R and type 'regedit' [minus the quotes] and click OK)

In the Registry Editor, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

Delete the Macromedia folder (Right click and choose "Delete").

Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software and delete the Macromedia folder there too.

Close the Registry Editor and empty your recycle bin.

Run the Flash Player installers, and then the Shockwave FULL installer you downloaded.

Lastly, open IE and go to: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/otherversions/ to download and install the Shockwave FULL installer for ActiveX (IE).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues with the same scanners.  Purchased two scanners for Win 7 workstations.  One install immediately.  The second had this issue of "Macromedia Projector Has Stopped Working"  Tried above suggestions without success.  Any more suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mexico2 wrote:

I am having the same issues with the same scanners.  Purchased two scanners for Win 7 workstations.  One install immediately.  The second had this issue of "Macromedia Projector Has Stopped Working"  Tried above suggestions without success.  Any more suggestions?

Are these HP scanners?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, HP Scanjet Pro 3000 s2.  Installed the first on Saturday without issues.  Spent over 8 hrs on Sunday attempting to install the second.  Both workstations are running Win 7 and are the same brand of computers with identical hardware.  Obviously, there are software differences.  Was able to have Win 7 recognize it on the second computer and install with its software and installed the HP software by using an executable program on the install disk. The HP program then ran but could not find the HP scanner hardward under "select scanner" tab.  Therefore the functions are not fully working.  Haven't tried varios software options (single or double side, searchable, archive PDF etc) 

Prior to turning the scanner on and having win 7 do the install, I attempted removing and reinstalling Macromedia (flash 13x and shockwave 11 or 12x) per instructions above serveral times without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhere... buried in the HP software, is the Flash Player Projector (the stand alone player). The HP Graphical User Interface (GUI) uses the Projector to open the menu for the scanner.

See if you can find it and replace it with the latest: Flash Player 13 Projector

That link ISN'T an installer. It's an exe. Just copy it to the location where the other Flash Player is, in the HP software folder somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had time to follow up with your suggestion.  But I may have uncovered a new twist.  The user of the problem computer has been getting a pop-up regarding Adobe Flash Player Settings.  It references local storage. "z.cdn.com is requesting permission to store information on your computer   Requested: Up to 10KB   Currently Used. 0KB"

Googling the z.cdn,com links to virus questions and an Adobe message.  I don't understand the Adobe response and don't know if this is a virus or a flash player need for utube.

All help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"CDN" is a Content Delivery Network. Microsoft, Adobe, HP, Roxio, Corel, Oracle... many, many companies use CDN URLs to download drivers, updates, firmware etc. Most likely it's HP trying to install updates to the GUI.

If you feel you can trust it (and me), add z.cdn.com in the settings manager: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html from that "trouble system". Once the install is done, delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was able to resolve the issue with the help of

[personal contact info removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that a cute front end the hp uses but its not needed

unzip the file from hp

run upzstub that should start the install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines