Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.ipa package is not working properly with the distribution profiles

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have this .ipa package for an application for iOS specifically the iPad. Everything works with my developers certificate. I am able to sync with iTunes and download the app successfully with everything working.

When I publish with my distribution certificate and distribution provisioning profile (In Flash, iOS deployment type:  Apple App Store) although executing successfully without errors, my output .ipa package is half the size of when I use the developer's certificate and developer's provisioning. The second issue that I notice is my app's icon is not installing in the iTunes, when I drag the .ipa to iTunes with the distribution profiles. The app also does not install on my iPad when syncing with iTunes. In the iPad, the app's icon stay dark and the text says installing, but it never gets to it.

Working with Flash Pro CC and AIR 13.0.0.95 for iOS, latest updates have been installed.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to the page where you made your provisioning profile, you’ll see that under Distribution you have a choice of Ad Hoc or App Store. For testing on your device you would want to use an Ad Hoc one, then when that works make a final build with the App Store version, and then you can submit that file.

In Flash Pro you would still build for App Store in both cases, no need to choose Ad Hoc, it seems not to matter.

I believe it’s normal to not see the app icon in iTunes. When you build and submit for the App Store, one of the included files is the iTunes artwork sized file, and that’s what will be used by iTunes when it’s downloaded from the App Store. So long as you see the icon when you sync, you should be ok.

Also, using either Xcode or the iPhone Configuration Utility to get the app onto your device is a lot easier than syncing via iTunes. You could also do Test Movie/On Device via USB in Flash Pro, and that would build the IPA and also install it at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Colin. I guess Apple Development's website is down currently under maintenance (https://developer.apple.com/membercenter/). I was going to try getting the Ad Hoc profile for testing. I will try later in the day.

So, I need to do an Ad Hoc profile first? Shouldn't the .ipa work when distributing of type App Store is selected since this is the final output. Why would the .ipa file be about 9 MB in Distribution, and approximately 18 MB in Development?

Testing in the devices while developing is very easy, I have experience testing on iOS and Android devices via USB in Flash Pro.

My app made it all the way to the App Store and then I removed the app because it was not working properly. What is weird, is that with my development profiles everything works flawlessly. Now, with the same application just switching to distribution profiles, the .ipa output changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the file is bigger if you’re testing in development with interpreter selected. 9MB sounds small, you should check that you’ve included all your files.

An App Store build with a development certificate/profile will work on your device, but not for the store. An Ad Hoc distribution profile with your distribution certificate, and as an App Store build, will work on your device, and will be identical to the one you’re going to submit. An App Store provision with the distribution certificate may not work on your device, because the provisioning profile doesn’t include test devices. But that’s ok, it will work when bought from the store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing in development was done in Device testing. I believe all files were included because when uploading with Application Loader I had only two errors that were due to Icons sizes: 76 and 152 which I included and the application submitted successfully.

When I try downloading the application from the App store, it downloaded successfully, but when opening it on my iPad, it was not working properly. I then remove it from the App store immediately. But you are correct, I never tested the Adhoc  deployment type. Now am stuck waiting for Apple Development - Member Center to come back up in order to create the Adhoc provisioning profile.

In distribution, I'm I supposed to manually put in the source files in Flash Pro - Included files area. Currently, I have the standard .swf and .xml files.

The launch image (Splash Image) is included in the .fla's library and starts as soon as the application comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would normally include all the splash screens in General too, otherwise the app will start with a black screen before then showing your library version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not experiencing any black screens. Do you think that by using the splash screen in the fla and not in the general tab would cause some type of conflict when using the distribution profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, having the missing splash screens wouldn’t affect the app, but if you were doing an iPhone app it would be enough for the app to be rejected. As you’re just doing iPad I guess it’s optional. People are used to splash screens though, so that when they first launch the app they see an image to do with the app, and not just a black rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Colin,

I tried what you had suggested as a solution. Created the Adhoc provisioning profile and used it in conjunction with the distribution certificate. No problems are detected and the .ipa outputs to my folder. From here, I am able to drag and install the app to iTunes where the icon appears due to the Adhoc profile syncing with the device. Once I download to the iPad, the app does not work properly.

The app starts perfectly, Splash image, then the Home screen. I can browse through all screens until I get to my last screen. In the last screen, I believe the app freezes up. I cant go back to the other screens and nothing works.

Like I said before, no changes were made to the code, and I have double checked my distribution provisioning profiles.

Now, I think I really need help here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a debug session? You can do that with the Ad Hoc profile and the distribution certificate. If you can test via USB that would be easiest. When the error happens something is bound to be traced into the Output window, that will tell you what went wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the device debugging method under the Ad hoc profile and the distribution certificate. Everything checked out fine. The application works good. No compile errors and on the Flash Pro - Output window, the trace description displayed normal operation of my app. After testing the app in my iPad, close the app and the debug

session terminated as expected.

debug session ended when close the app.png

Let me know what else you can recommend, I have tried everything so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing occurred to me, how much storage space is there on the iPad? Also, does the app work ok on any other device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Available capacity 21 GB. What I see in the output window is the "Fonts should be embedded for any text that may be edited at run time, other than text with the Use Device Fonts setting" output error.

I have try switching all text to Verdana to see if that helps, but I still keep getting the output font error. I tried embedding all text of Verdana, Arial, Gill Sans, and others but nothings dismisses the error.

The application works with the Ad-hoc profile for a while until I get to a configuration screen, I then try clicking on any of the available buttons and it doesn't respond and freezes the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font embedding is done by selecting one of the text fields and going into its Embed settings (assuming you’re not using device fonts). But that wouldn’t crash the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am aware of how to embed fonts. This Ad hoc issue is more complex than what I thought it was. I am still working on it. Currently, am researching and troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines