• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory Capacity when using DHTML Hotspot/pop-ups

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2007 Jun 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Robo v5. I have begun reformatting my predecessor's topics to make them more robust and have been exploring the Robo Help. Perhaps I am not technically-savvy enough to use these features properly, so if I am, please just advise me and I'll see if my boss will send me to some official Robo training. Our end users seem to like what I've been doing, however, and it is indeed making our Help System more usable.

What I'm doing is embedding screen captures as pop-ups using the "DHTML - Create Drop-down Hotspot and Text" menu option. The links work and all of that is good, however, in my larger topics, I'm noticing issues when working in those topics. 1 of 2 things occur frequently enough to be a nuisance:

1. The topic just "dies" - the cursor freezes and my scroll bar cuts off the bottom portion of the topic. None of the data is lost, but I have to close it and reopen it. Part of the topic just disappears including the workspace it occupies.

2. I run out of memory - I actually get a dialog that says "Insufficient Memory" and the topic aborts automatically. Again, none of the data is lost, but I have to reopen it. Sometimes, this occurs every couple of "saves".

In my smaller topics, it's a non-issue.

Is this related to the number of Hotspots I'm embedding or is it an issue with my Local Drive or what? I truly appreciate any guidance here! Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi spiraljoe. Can you give us an idea of how many popups you are using, the file sizes of the screen shots and the overall size of the topics? I used to have to have a topic with around 40 drop down text items (containing only text) that once expanded offered further drop down text items. It was a project requirement where the Project Manager decided he knew how best to write the help That topic took an age to display even though there were no images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding.

1 - is 1.8KB and contains 12 pop-ups, some of which are pointing to the same image.
2 - is 2.7KB and contains 50 pop-ups, some of which are pointing to the same image.

These topics also have images embedded within the actual topic and not as a pop-up. Another thing I'm using are image maps (which I didn't mention before 'cus I didn't think it would matter).

Are there other options for using images that reduce the size of a topic? I found that using pop-ups make the topic easier to read (they previously were entirely too monsterous because the screen captures were within the text. I now use only the primary ones in the body of the text and embed the subsidiary ones as pop-ups.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also hide my screen shots in DHTML drop-downs. Not at all to the extent that you do, though. I can see how there would be a memory drain.

You may have to consider putting your subsidiary images on new blank topics - just the picture - and then link that topic to the appropriate text in the primary topic. As you configure the link, you can set up the image topic to appear in a new window, which the user can then close when they are ready. Not as elegant as the drop down, but less of a memory drain per topic.

Just my $.02.

-Laurin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it is the combination of popups, image maps and image file sizes that are causing the problem. The options are to upgrade your PC (although this may not be practical) change the image format (GIF or JPG are best) or try a different method. If you have popups linking to the same image how about creating a new topic, adding the image to it and linking to the new topic. You can add the link as a popup or to open in a new window. As an aside there is a train of thought that you should never use screen shots in help unless they add value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! Sorry Laurin. Great minds think alike!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you Colum and Laurin! It's comforting to know I'm not doing anything wrong necessarily! And believe me, I subscribe to the notion of including only those screen shots that add value! That's why I've been removing so many superfluous ones. The pop-ups are just a beautiful tool when teaching since it's static (I also link very frequently used ones from individual topics).

Appreciate the feedback! Have a great Thursday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's OK Colum - it's always good to get confirmation that a suggestion is a good one. As for the screen shots in help thing, I agree that especially if the topic is mapped to a form in the application, you shouldn't have to put the image in. But, unfortunately, our client base is fairly non-technical, even techno-phobic to some extent, so they like pictures. Hiding them in the DHTM (or linking to an image topic) is a good compromise. Plus, I use the same topics for training and printed docs, so the pics are needed then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I know what you are going through. At my last job we had a client whose sales staff didn't even know how to switch on a laptop! It was one of the hardest projects I've ever worked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp