Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 11 is crashing when we save

Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Help! FrameMaker 11 keeps crashing when we update and save the book. It is only happening in a few documents, all other documents are working fine. Attached is the error message we get. FrameMaker Error.png

Any help would be great, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a MIF wash of the .book and component .fm files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you confirmed that you're fully patched up-to-date by checking the

downloads page?

Is it crashing one one particular file, or random?

Art Campbell

art.campbell@gmail.com

"... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and

a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson

No disclaimers apply.

DoD 358

I support www.TheGrotonLine.com, hyperlocal news for Groton MA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, IT checked for updates and did an unistall/reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My FrameMaker 11 also crashes after updating a book and saving. My internal errors are slightly different (see screenshot below). I have washed the book via MIF. Saved the individual files as mif. Added RAM to my computer (now at 8G). I also recreated the book and the TOC. Nothing helps. A coworker wonders if the problem is because the files in the book were creating using FrameMaker older than 9. Then the files were updated in FM 9. Then they were updated using FM 11. If that's the case, how do I fix the files so the book doesn't crash on save? My book has 160 files in it, so it takes too long to save each file individually.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2014 Jul 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once MIf washed it should make no difference. If you know that a specific document is an issue, you can divide the document into pieces to see where the problem is. Usually, it is a graphic, but it can be a font issue as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2014 Jul 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... wonders if the problem is because the files in the book were creating using FrameMaker older than 9.

You can rule out FM11 as the problem by downloading a trial version of FM12 and see how it handles it. If no error, Save-As FM11 and you may be good to go.

As Michael says, the MIF wash should wash out any issues in data structure; overlapping tags, that sort of thing.

Open book components separately to isolate the problem. Try turning off graphics and saving. Do a binary break down (save by halves, then halves of halves) until the problem is isolated.

It is possible for a document to acquire certain degenerate problems that will cause irremediable crashes on open. We see this rarely with the problem that causes frequent Error 7103 crashes (drag-resizing right-run-in anchored frames). I've also seen it as a consequence of structure damage caused by a crash due to a different problem, resulting in weird stuff like a document importing itself into a text frame in an anchored frame, with 99.9999% of it flowed out of sight.

If the save fail is to a network drive, rule that out by saving locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the FM files crash when opened and saved without the book open. It's only the Save All Files in Book option that fails, after updating the book. So maybe the failure is with Update Book? Updating the individual files does not crash. What's different about Save All Files in Book from saving each file individually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have just the Book file open and do an update, do you get a crash? Note: if the book component files aren't open when you do an update, FM does invisibly save the component files after updating. If all of the files in the book are open when you do an update, then FM leaves them in an unsaved state so that an Undo operation can take place.

Try the keyboard shortcut <esc> f S [this also triggers the Save All operation]. If you do not get a crash through this route, then perhaps something is corrupt in your menu configuration files, that is causing the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashes whether all files in book are open or not. With files open, I can update the book, but when I save all files in the book it crashes. If the files are closed, I can update the book, but it crashes when I save the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm beginning to suspect that the book file itself may be the culprit. Are you using any of the hierarchical book structures (folders/groups) or books with in books?

Try creating a new book file (again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<esc> f S crashes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines