• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

to change the path where the project files are stored

Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have recently upgraded from robohelp8 to robohelp11.

Just wondering if it is possible in any way to change the default path where the project files get stored.

At the moment it defaultly saves at 'C:\Users\username\Documents\My RoboHelp Projects'. Is there a way we can change this default path to a common location so that any user who logs into the machine can access the files.

Cheers,

Ankitha

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about when you create a new project, correct?

I just created one project and it came up with what I think was the last path used for a new project. I changed that and in two subsequent tests it went to the same drive letter followed by \NewProject.

Do be aware that whilst Rh11 allows you to work from a network location, it is one user at a time. It is not a substitute for source control.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

Just wondering how you were able to change the save path for the new projects?

And also, so you say - even though i have robohelp11 installed and running in an isolated server, it still allows only one user to access and edit project files.

Multiple user action is not possible at the same time??

Thanks for your responses.

Much appreciate..!!

Ankitha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I created the new project I simply typed a different path in the Default Path field. That seems to stick.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter was pointing out that just because RH11 allows you to store your project on a network location, it doesn’t mean that if you’ve got RH installed and I’ve got RH installed, that we can work on that same network project at the same time – that’s still a no-no & you need a Source Control system to be able to check out/in topics within the same project for multiple authors to work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. I omitted to cover that point. Rh11 installed on a server is not supported as it is the wrong operating system, plus it is a breach of the licence. As you have pointed out, it is only projects that should be on a network.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys for your responses.

Please excuse me for my questions. I tend to ask so many as i am quite new to Robohelp.

So does this mean windows server is a wrong operating system for RH installation. If yes, what is the recommended one - on client machine?

However in any case - multi user access is a no no .isn't it?

Regarding the project path thing - I did not have any such option to change my own path, was able to do that only when i was converting my project files into Microsoft HTML Help i.e. .chm file format.

Thanks for your ongoing support,

Ankitha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I just noticed that i was able to change the path for new projects. But is it possible to do it for existing projects??

I am working on existing project and want to change the project files to a centralized location, possible??

Thanks,

Ankitha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

But figured out the problem with project paths.

But can you please get back to me on my installation question.

Cheers,

Ankitha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What installation question?

I think there is still some confusion over what can go where.

RoboHelp as a program needs to be installed on the user's PC.

Projects can be stored on a network drive but note that it will be a bit slower and may not be acceptable if your network is slow. Generally it works OK if you accept some processes will be a bit slower. Although more than one user with Rh on their own PC can access the network project, working this way is only intended to allow one person at a time to access the project. If you want multiple authors on the project simultaneously, you need source control.

The outputs you generate from a project should be generated to the same drive as the project, wherever that may be. WebHelp can also be published (it different process) to a web server.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Peter that answers my questions.

Really appreciate for your time.

Cheers.!!

Ankitha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp