• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player installing Adware...Coupon Dropdown

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I installed Flash 15, I am now seeing hyperlinks from "Coupon Dropdown" on pretty much every web page I go to. When I uninstall Flash 15 they go away, but if i reinstall, they come back. Is there someway to install Flash 15 without these highly annoying hyperlinks everywhere?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, Firefox 17.0.1, Flash 11.5.

Could some virus need Flash 11.5 to operate(show the hyperlinks and popups when I hover) and that is why it appears Flash is the cause?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen such a thing; can you point us to a website where this occurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only send you screen shots. It will happen on ANY site where the proper keywords appeear. It's even happening on this page. The post where I stated my operating system, browser version and Flash version, the word "Windows" is a hyperlink to one of these ads and goes here.

http://www.certainhelper.com/results1.aspx?keywords=windows

1-Fullscreen capture 12112012 95001 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1-Fullscreen capture 12112012 100440 AM.jpg

you can see the coupon dropdown text when i hover over the link. if i uninstall flash 11.5 all these go away. let me know if you need more info or adaware logs or something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1-Fullscreen capture 12112012 104924 AM.jpg

Another example with the drodown box that appears

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most definitely not Flash Player related.  I suspect you received malware from another installer.  I would suggest running multiple passes of a malware scanner, such as Malwarebytes as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, If it isnt Flash Player related, why do the hyperlinks disappear when I uninstall Flash? and then return when I reinstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very mysterious, but I would definitely first perform a malware check before anything else.  It could be some malware that makes use of Flash Player somehow.  Which in turn could indicate a vulnerability in Flash Player.

Did you install the latest Flash Player that was released yesterday?  See http://forums.adobe.com/message/4913847#4913847

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I had this problem too. Flash Player has nothing to do with CouponDrop Down ads, trust me, except that this piece of **** is distributed in very misleading ways, and presented as Flash Player update. See yourself:

fake_flash.jpg

I got Coupon Drop Down after installing this fake Flash player. It wasn't even a flash player but a web browser extension. Under web extensions it was listed as Codec-C or something like that, or maybe it was Codec-M. Did some research and found even more programs that might cause CouponDropDown ads to show up. Here's the list: http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2013/01/remove-coupondropdown-pop-ups-uninstall.html

So, as I said, Flash Player has nothing to do with this malware, make sure you don't have any of those programs listed on the page I gave you. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up Neil!  They definitely go out of their way to mimic our UI.  I can see how many users would assume this is our software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What doesnt make sense to me, is that when I uninstalled Flash, the ads would go away. I then went to adobe website and reisntalled from there and the ads reappeared, so somehow it was linked to Flash. This issue actually killed my HD, and I had to buy a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect they are rewriting the html displayed on the page and the html code that has been added uses Flash Player.

Sorry to hear about your HD though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have had adware installed with Adobe Flash Player.  The anitivirus notified the threat, but then I realised the computer slowed and on Ebay fancy adverts rang out jolly tunes with movies!  I had to uninstall the Adobe flash and run various antivirus/anitmalware to get rid.  Still getting invites that look like Adobe to install flash.  So dare not install Adobe Flash again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you seeing this, specifically?

fp-pro.jpg

Flash Player PRO?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines