• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you make a custom database query?

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a web app with a custom field for "Job Title." How do I create a page with all the "Regional Managers"?

I know it's possible with a web app search form. I don't want a form. I just want the page with the results.

I know it's possble using Site Settings "categories." I don't want that, I want to use custom fields.

I don't want to download the entire database and have jQuery sort it on the client machines. It could fail if the database has thousands of records.

TOPICS
Web apps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can insert the module for a specifc list item if you want or if you want a page for a specific Regional Manager you just use the detail page of that web app item. The url of which is right under the item name in the admin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had pretty good luck with loading all the web app item entries into a container (I generally use a script tag with the type set as something innocuous like "text/data" or "text/string") and then parse the contents out as JSON and do whatever sort of filtering or sorting is needed, and then building the items on the page from that collection.

One of the issues you have to contend with using this approach is that a list of web app items is limited to 500 entries per page. If you're database is smaller than that, it's not an issue. Otherwise, you have to write something that looks for the pagination, and loads the additional data from those other pages.

This site Marriott Theatre relies almost exclusively on this technique for the majority of it's data. Take a look at the "Children's Theatre" & "Mainstage" pages as they are doing something similar to what I believe you are trying to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brice, thanks for your answer. That puts the burden of converting to JSON, filtering, and sorting on the client machine, right? I was kinda hoping for a server-side solution that wouldn't involve a lot of extra scripting 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct, everything is happening client-side.

Simple sorts and filters generally aren't that taxing & anything that is more complex is easily handled by underscore or lo-dash. Completely anecdotal, but I've never really noticed any sort of slowdowns or hiccups with this sort of approach.

Adding BC's category tags to each item probably isn't feasible, but I think it's the closest you're going to be able to get when it comes to a truly server-side solution.

That being said, I think the web app search functionality might be something that is worth playing around with. Rather than having a full blown search form on your page, I believe you might be able to rig something up in JS that uses the web app search functionality to give you back what you're looking for in JSON and then inject that where you need it without a page reload. Maybe something in jQuery like:

$.ajax({
    url: "/Default.aspx?CCID=12345&FID=567890&PageID={module_oid}&JSON=1",
    data: { CAT_jobTitle: 'Regional Manager'}
})
.done( function( results ){  doThingsWithTheResults });

...not 100% sure on the specifics of getting that to work, but I think the general principle is sound. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2014 May 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from BC does not return Jason for that sort of thing.

BC only returns JSON data on a post request to BC web forms, not anything else at this time. It returns the HTML response and to fetch that you would either have the search results on a different page to ajax in OR if using the PageID with that module account for partial refreshing of a web page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused. Does BC return JSON formatted data from a POST request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ONLY on custom web forms when you add the parameter, not on anything else at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines