• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forum upgrade tomorrow - round 2

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Forums will be down starting May 1st, 6pm Pacific time for about 30 hours to do a major update to the underlying Jive software.

Here's hoping it will go better this time...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Here's hoping it will go better this time...

Expect some users to freak out because the forum is now exposing their real name in the right margin (if a Top Participant), and in the heading line above responses (apparently it's only shown to them, if logged in).

I also saw one false error pop-up just clicking on this subject title in the discussions list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seem to be lots of small glitches and UI/UX detriments. Unfortunately, a number of the moderator capabilities have also been removed and delegated to staff, so it may be a while [like in 'til the end of time] before some of these get addressed.

Doing the Adobe shuffle:

One step forward, three steps back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I got an email notification of your response, which feature I had previously turned off. I guess I'll have to turn it off again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here in Belgium, the proverbial reference is the Echternach procession:

At one stage the pilgrims would take 3 steps forward and 2 steps backwards thus taking five steps in order to advance one

I see from checking wikipedia that the "Hopping procession of Echternach" is now listed as UNESCO intangible heritage … can you get the Adobe shuffle added to the list? perhaps with special mention for the developers-everywhere tendency to wander off down sidetracks and "correct" problems no-one's actually been having :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problems with the new lay-out except for one detail: THE TEXT IS BARELY READABLE UNLESS I SWITCH TO VERY LOW SCREEN RESOLUTION ON MY MAC. Why the hell was the font size of the actual messages - the content that interests all of us most - scaled down compared to the earlier CSS. If I hit the + button in my browser, some content runs off the screen to the right and also it keeps that setting for all websites. Please tell the 20-year old designer with perfect eyesight that not everyone has laser-sharp vision and correct the CSS so that normal people can actually read the content on the Adobe forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jang,

I'm totally with you on this. I have a hard time reading the screens as well. Welcome to the new age of applications designed for social networking by those most interested in only the social aspects...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the age when responsive design is everything, but some companies (who are BTW selling tools to make this work in just about any flavor you like) are NOT using their own stuff but relying on someone else to create their web presence (and not picking a good company, apparently). Would you buy bread from a butcher who goes to the supermarket to buy meat for himself? Would you buy shoes from a salesman who goes around barefoot? Do those managers really understand what message they are sending out to the world?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same level of confidence that one gets when you examine the PDF doc properties of the latest FM documents only to find out that they've been created using substantially older versions of FM...

From the discussions in the moderator's backroom,  the upgrade to use the Jive v.7 version out-of-the-box configuration was the best of the many bad decisions available to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is there any way to:

1. In the "Overview" tab, turn off all the not-this-forum junk between "Welcome! Please post here for unstructured..." and (but not including) "Recent Content"? There used to be.
  2. In the "Overview" tab, display the number of responses on a thread? (which we used to see) The "Content" tab may have this as one of the various inexplicable tiny icons with no tool tips or ALT text.
    Content tab, Details view resolves this one. However, in Details, there is no control over columns displayed. It would be nice to add a Latest Responder column, and delete the useless Bookmarks column, and the less than useless Likes column (and, for extra credit, delete the entire concept of Likes from the whole Internet )
  3. In any tab, display the UID of who last responded to a thread? (which we used to see) {alternatively, in the Thumbnails view, showing a snippet of the latest response, instead of the basenote text would be nice}
  4. Turn off the annoying tool-tip pop-up something or other during edit?

So far, "enhanced beyond repair" comes to mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Unfortunately, the main landing page for the forum now is also the main discussion page and moderators can no longer edit/customize any of these. Changes have to be submitted to staff, justified and then who knows how long it will be before things get changed. Right now, it's a bit chaotic with everyone screaming about lost functionality and all of the changes.

3. Gone. Also, the link to messages now seems to take one to the top of the thread instead of the last message, as before. Major complaints on this one. Hopefully, some of this functionality will get restored, but the base Jive software in v.7 has drastically evolved/shifted from the old Adobe customized 4.5 version towards that of a social network aimed for internal corporate use rather than Forums, i.. Adobe's now using the wrong software and trying to adapt it to a purpose for which it is no longer intended. Talk about a snafu...

4. Can you elaborate and/or provide a screen capture to show what you mean. I don't see any tooltips when I'm editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> 4. Can you elaborate and/or provide a screen capture to show what you mean. I don't see any tooltips when I'm editing?

When editing in a numbered list, during some cursor ops, a little white box with 3 numbered horizontal lines appears at left, obscuring part of the text window, and you can't explicitly turn it off. It may or may not go away by itself. Clicked on, it provide alternate numbering schemes.

Bullet format does the same.

Neither pop-up provides a method to return the list formatting to plain paragraph. Back-spacing at the number/bullet does the trick.

_______

They called it an "upgrade", but that was just a bunch of Jive.

Forum coders seem to be struggling to figure out what was known to Usenet newsreader coders 30 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Error,

1. Create a bookmark for the Discussions page instead: https://forums.adobe.com/community/framemaker/content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AG: > 1. Create a bookmark for the Discussions page instead:

Yep. Already figured that out. Actually using:

https://forums.adobe.com/community/framemaker/content?itemView=detail

Jang: > Welcome to the new age of applications designed for social networking by those most interested in only the social aspects...

We could do without both the Bookmarks and Likes columns on the Content>Details view.

If anyone can get these turned off, could you also get the whole notion of "Likes" deleted from the entire internet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Error7103 wrote:

If anyone can get these turned off, could you also get the whole notion of "Likes" deleted from the entire internet?

Like.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines