• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backing Up?

Participant ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering how to fully backup a BC site. In Wordpress I can creat automated backups of the site content and database. How do I do the same with BC, especially for the database content (ie: web app entries)?

What safeguards do I have if someone were to hack into one of my clients sites and delete everything?  A client asked the following, and I'm not exactly sure how to answer:

We need to talk about our security backup again, like if our site gets hacked, where's the kill switch, and where is this backed-up offline

Thanks!

Brian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

For disaster related issues we have full back-up of sites available.  We have daily back-ups if this were to ever happen. 

The main thing to point out is we do not restore if something was deleted accidently "user error". 

Therefore we highly suggest backing up locally with combination of FTP and exporting.  The migration article is the best reference to help keep local back-ups at this stage.

- http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/203/bc_2038.html

Hope this helps!

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that does help and is good to know.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if someone hacks into our site and messes it up or deletes data Adobe WILL update the site to the most recent daily backup. However, if myself or my client accidentally does the exact same thing, Adobe WILL NOT update the site to the most recent daily backup? In this case, we'd need to use the "archive and rollback" feature where available?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct we'll likely restore in that case.  Also note we haven't encountered such hacks as long as passwords are updated consistently and uses the best practice methods of combination of characters and length on top of you being aware of who you grant admin access to should help avoid this for the most part.  However if it is a hack outside of any control please raise a case directly to us and we'll help with the restore. 

Cheers!

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sidney, good to know and my client is happy to hear it.

Any chance the backup process could get easier in the future? Manually exporting data from web apps and the like sounds like a major hassle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2013 Feb 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something we are looking into for the future "local back-up tool" and already on our wishlist. 

Please check our BC Blogs for upcoming release notes and enhancement details.

- http://www.businesscatalyst.com/_blog/bc_blog

Cheers!

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sidney,

Is this true? I can't actually backup my site?

I'm in the process of building a site and I'm about to provide client access to add content. It would be really helpful to be able to provide some level of comfort to restore something if it's messed up. I appreciate I can set user roles so they can only edit components, but that doesn't help if they mess something up.

Please tell me there's a way I can backup and restore!

Regards,

Quaetapo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download all the images, css, javascript files, templates, html pages and so on via SFTP.

You can export web app and CRM data, products etc in forms of spreadsheet (CSV) as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checkout the Backup BC App - http://www.bcappstore.com/apps/backupbc - looks like it is the answer many of us have been waiting for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same guys fortunegreen, they released the in admin element of it today/yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't think so Mr Dilley.

http://www.bcbackup.com.au/ has been going for months and is not in the App Store. Australian based.

http://www.backupbc.com/ is US based and is in the App Store.

Cheers,

Penny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake, thought it was:

http://www.backupbc.com/

Did not realise someone in OZ land was doing it as well.

Both look to be missing the key trick though Hopefully will be able to release ours with that. Just depends on the eta of the BC offical one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynda, Liam and Penny,

Thanks ever so much for both your quick reply and, more importantly, an answer to my question.

Love your work,

Quaetapo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liam: can you explain this statement further? Both look to be missing the key trick though...

I'm curious to know what you mean.

Thanks,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backing up using SFTP and CSV export - is not even close to what is required to really back up a site. I had a client delete an entire site menu, including mega menu drop downs - I can tell you restoring that was no easy task.

Essential items that can not be backed up manually or by BCBACKUP:

Blogs
Catalogues
Menus
Literature

Announcements

Photo Galleries

And there is more.

I certainly hope Mr Liam Dilley and the team at pretty are working on something with the Key Trick involved.

I can tell you that I have heard directly from BC that no Backup system is in development at this stage.... so it could be years before an official roll out of one.

If you really want BC to develop a reliable system side backup utility - voice your concern via a ticket and be heard, it is the only thing that will influence their direction to develop it.

Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BC need some more features to do it right and Our method of backing is still... For us... More solid solution, faster and does not require 3rd party storage hosting to store it ETC but we are considering a more broader application for BC in the future that has some backup/version elements but more of a tool to manage your BC developments.

At the moment we are working on a few apps which are higher request features that we can do now while we wait for some more BC work to be able to offer a more rounded solution.

We have our google feed in testing on some client sites and looking good for a release pretty soon and we also not to far off previewing a very special app for partners we are very excited about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines