• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC loses links to render files?

Contributor ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render an area, save the project, close the program and load the project, and the previously rendered area comes up red again.  Alternately, close the project and reload it, and you may or may not be asked to relink.

Anyone else seeing this?  The render files are still there; but the links are apparently lost -- and irrevocably, once you close program.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 167 Replies 167
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "solution" noted in the thread -- create an empty sequence, save the project from that sequence -- doesn't work.  I wasn't aware that lost render links was a common issue in CS6, but it's astonishing to learn that the bug not only survived CS6 updates, but is present in CC.

How does Adobe propose that anyone work with a NLE which can't sustain links to rendered files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if I'd call it 'common'.  Maybe because most people just don't render very much anymore.  But I've had to render a sequence with some complex projects and have never lost any links.  It's an intermittent issue that only affects some, and right now I'm not aware of any definitive cause, why it happens for some people and not others.

By the way, did you read all the way through?  Preston claims his solution may not work the first time you try it, but should on subsequent attempts.

And do let Adobe know about the issue:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeated tries don't work.  In practice, this bug means it's impossible to screen a full-resolution version of the timeline for clients and/or collaborators, if is contains processor-intensive unacclerated fx or plugins -- at least,  not without exporting the material.

Not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't know if I'd call it 'common'. "

I would.

If it's an issue with 3rd party plug-ins, as suggested, Adobe and Red Giant (which I assume is one of the most widely used plug-in manufacturers) should probably get their **** sorted out.  It's getting pretty frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem for a while. I have NO Warp Stabilizer Files in ANY projects. I've saved empty sequences, new sequences, old sequences. All a failure. Today the program UNLINKED THE WHOLE TIMELINE while I was working on the same time-line!!!!!!! What am I supposed to do! I mean, geez, we're working people, I don't have time to RE-RENDER everything all the time, I have deadlines to respect!!! I'm running OS 10.10.3 with Premier Pro 2014 CC on a Cloud contract, so super up-dated. Hello? Hello? Does anyone at Adobe know how to solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this issue. I'm a new CC subscriber (not a new editor), no experience with previous Premiere versions. This is happening in every single project I've created since downloading the software a couple of weeks ago, leaving me to wonder if this is the way the product is designed to work. Not only are the render files gone when I save, close and reopen, but just switching to another program on my computer temporarily (multitasking) is enough to cause the renders to go away. Coming from FCP, this seems really abnormal.

Specs: mac OS 10.7.5, - 3.4 GHz Intel Core - 12 GB ram - AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics card -

The media (XDCAM primarily, but other codecs too) is stored on a NAS, and I'm putting my preview and project files there in the same folder. When I reopen the project, there's never been a dialogue asking me to relink files, there are just red and yellow bars on the sequence. I tried the empty sequence workaround described in Jim Simon's response and that didn't work for me. It literally just happened again while I was typing this and rendering. When I went back to the sequence most of it was rendered but two clips weren't. Another time I rendered, and immediately after the render window went away, the bars started changing from green to red or yellow.

Is there anything else I should know or try? i will use the link above to report it.

PS hi everyone. I have a feeling I'll be around a lot.

PPS I just got the "serious error" message while testing these workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jill,

I was wondering if you had any progess with the issue of render files disappearing as soon as you render them/task switch etc. It was pretty painful rendering a whole time line for a clip that was needed for broadcast thinking we were killing it timewise then seeing all our render files disappear before our eyes.

- I was also working off a NAS setup at the time (NAS was a Sonnet RAID connected to a mac mini connected via AFP)

- I had a custom sequence with Prores Renders (as our output was prores 1080i60 for ingest into EVS servers for playout)... I am trying to establish if it is a codec specific thing? Or if it is just something to do with working on a NAS.

- It happened sporadically on differen machines with different projects open

- It also happened when preview files and media caches were set to the local drive, and only the original media was being referenced from the NAS.

- What were your preview files set to?

Has anyone else had this issue? To have your renders disappear on exit and re-entry into the program is bad enough, but to have them sporadically disappear as soon as you have rendered your sequence is just heartbreaking! Especially after the render of a 52 minute show that you need to export that day

Sorry for asking more questions than providing answers.. but I want to try and get some more info around this issue..

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I responded on this thread, as requested upthread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5501463#5501463#5501463

I too was wondering if the NAS was a potential problem. My preview files were set to be saved on the NAS with the media. I tried having media cache saved locally, and also with original files, and that didn't seem to affect anything.

I haven't had time to troubleshoot fully, but I believe that unchecking a media preference, "write XMP ID to files on import" resolved it for me. If it turns out that doesn't fully solve the problem, I'll report back here. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here... Premiere CC Renderfiles are "lost" after closing/reloading a Project.
Never happened with Premiere CS6!

Any solutions meanwhile? Strange bug

cheers!
Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**** UPDATE ****

we found out, that only clips with "warp stabilizer filter" lost their link to the renderfiles after restarting premiere.
our sequence contain different types of mediafootage (Canon H264, RED-RAW, DPX)
all canon files (60% of the timeline) with warp stabilizer lose their renderfiles.

seems to be a bug?

regards
dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened for me on a new project. Rendered to view, output, sent to client. Got feedback the next day, opened project, all clips that had color adjustment effects were unrendered. Two transitions had Impact plugin effects. Since I was only changing a small portion of the video, I just made my edits and only re-rendered the new edits. However if I was showing to a client who was present I would need to re-render the whole sequence. This is just strange.

Mac OS 10.7.5, Premiere 7.0.1, network storage, "save media cache files next to originals" is checked, what else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what else?

We don't know yet.  There is no well defined cause for the problem.  It just happens for some users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some third-party effects and transitions are known to cause Premiere to re-render each time a project is loaded. I'm not directly involved with the investigation of this issue, so I don't know a) which effects & transitions have manifested this problem, or b) whether we've determined if the fix needs to come on our side (in the API that allows third parties to interface with Premiere) or in the code for the 3rd party effects/transitions.

We'd be interested to know whether the problem persist if you've removed the 3rd party effects/transitions. If so, please report  which ones seem to be involved in this other thread about the problem: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5501463#5501463

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's some progress at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is unfortunate if this is the case, since the only reason you would need to render in Premiere is due to third party plug-ins.  And the reason we're using thrid party plug ins is mainly because Adobe doesn't provide these effects in the software.  So we're stuck re-rendering all the time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Mark's test of removing the third-party effect to see if the render holds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats my point.  If I remove third party plug ins I have no reason to render, but I also don't have the video that I want either.  For the record I'm using Magic Bullet Colorista II with the Adobe unsharpen filter on ProRes 422 footage.  On the other hand, I would love to use SpeedGrade CC on this job but its a quick turn and no time to explore new warez.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remove third party plug ins I have no reason to render

The point here is only a test, to see which third-party effects are involved.  It's not a solution to the problem, it's just a way to get more information about the problem.

By the way, I know that Colorista isn't one of those that trigger this phenomenon.  If you're losing renders, it's for some other reason.

And definitely give SG a look for future projects.  The color work plays real time in PP, no render needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also something to note, maybe its been addressed on another thread, I noticed no difference in time between exporting a sequence with Match Sequence Settings + Use Previews and when NOT using Previews when pushing export renders to AME.  It would stand to reason that apparently the render files arent seen anywhere outside of Premiere.  Just now I exported a 3 minute sequence with Match Sequence Settings + Use Previews WITHIN Premiere and it finished in under a minute - way faster than queueing in AME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same thing when I use warp stabiliser on HD timeline (although may be other effects too) - I don't have third party plugins that I am aware of. Using PPro CC ver 7.0 - high spec Mac running Lion. Takes about 30 minutes to re-render each time so a significant time-waster. 

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, definitely losing render files with the latest version 7.1 with no plugins. Saving to an empty sequence has been the workaround that I've been using for a while that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Specifically with footage that I have replaced with after effects compositions in which I have applied the warp stabilizer effect in after effects.

17" MacBook Pro late 2011

2.3 ghz i7

8gb RAM

Mac OSX 10.9.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any news guys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines