• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Re-Compile ONE Component in Real-Time Without CF Restart?

Explorer ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way? 

I've seen tricks for restarting the application, but I suspect this still kills all active sessions, and we have quite a few going on.

I just have one CFC I need to recompile to get some changes in place, but I don't want to upset the entire apple cart.

Is there a way?

RLS

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the code may be sufficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish it was; if that were true, I wouldn't have asked this question. Changes I make are not immediately reflected on our busy system.  I found a reinit routine that someone wrote that works, but apparently it only works for the person who ran the reinit. Only a cf restart takes care of the whole shebang for everyone. RLS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another obvious suggestion: using cfcompile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have quite the memory, there, BKBK. I'm sure I ran into this long ago and just simply forgot about it.

Will try! Thanks!

RLS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, BKBK, it was a good thought, but that still doesn't update the Services dynamically.

RLS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about opening the modified CFC in the browser, as you would a CFM page? It will force ColdFusion to open it with cfcexplorer, and to compile it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this idea and will give it a shot next time for sure. It would be so nice to find a way to do that without having to restart CF in Production to make a hotfix.

I will review those settings to see what the impact might be.  I wouldn't want to affect long-term efficiency for short-term occasional satisfaction.

BKBK, thank you very much for your help and suggestions!

RLS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another suggestion. It might help to uncheck the following settings in the Cache page in the Administrator:

Trusted cache

Cache template in request

Component cache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The first one  is already not checked, wondering if it should be.

I see that none of them require a restart. It could be that unchecking them, exercising the component, then re-checking them could perhaps cause them to recompile.

Thanks again!

RLS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation