Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing pdf is very slow on network printer

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I print to the network printer in the office it is printing very slow. It lasts a long time before the print job has been sent to the printer, after sending the print job to the printer it lasts a very long time before the printer prints. It prints page 1 and than I have to wait 2 minutes before the second page prints.
Version of adobe reader is 9.1.

Can someone help me with this issue?

I am desperate.

TOPICS
Print , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 08, 2010 Apr 08, 2010

If Adobe Acrobat Reader prints slowly try the following:

1.             Open a PDF file

2.             From the menu, select File > Print

3.             From the dialog displayed, click on the Advanced button at the bottom

4.             On the Advanced Print Setup dialog, make sure that “Let printer determine colors” is CHECKED.

5.             Click OK and OK to print the document.

This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer hardware specs, OS, network, driver?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2009 Apr 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -did you ever get an answer re slow printing - my adobe is slow to print also.  I do not see many helpful replies on the BB system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2009 Apr 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

/michael Kazlows question applies to you as well. Without more info, we can't do anything except take some lucky guesses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a user who is seeing this very same problem, but with Acrobat Pro 9.  The problem just started when he upgraded his apps to the CS4 versions.  He completely uninstalled all of his Adobe products and then reinstalled them, but the problem persists.  He is running Mac OS 10.5.  Whenever he tries to print a pdf, the computer hangs while spooling.  The Force Quit menu says Adobe stops responding, but it will eventually print after a very long time.  When it does start to print, it only prints about one page per minute.  This is happening on two networked HP printers, a LaserJet 4250 and 4350.  I tried to print as image and that speeds it up somewhat, but it is still very slow.  I also turned off the RAM Disk setting on the printer, but that didn't help.  Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as the person that original put of this post...But the Adobe very that we have on  office service is

Adobe 5.0 , tried to update ...in the help take bit it didnt give me this option.

I think we are running Windows Server 2000.  Can anyone help. Please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2010 Apr 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.             Open a PDF file

2.             From the menu, select File > Print

3.             From the dialog displayed, click on the Advanced button at the bottom

4.             On the Advanced Print Setup dialog, make sure that “Let printer determine colors” is CHECKED.

5.             Click OK and OK to print the document.

This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great directions thank you. I actually thought something was wrong with my printer but it

prints normally now. Thanks a bunch.

Damon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!  Glad to hear it.  If this works for others I'd appreciate hearing about it.  I may have to deploy this setting change to 1000's of PC's at my company and I'd like more evidence that it works and doesn't cause other problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually getting this same issue.  I have a Ricoh C4500, I'm running Windows 2003 Server, with the printer shared (All other printers on this server print PDF's just fine).  I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 4GB RAM, i7 (Dell E6410).  I've unchecked all options except "Let printer determine colors".  It sits at 64kb / 237kb and takes about 2 - 3 minutes per page to print.  I made the same selection and added "Print as Image" and it sat at 64kb / 3.11Mb.   Still same issue.  I've recreated the port on the server, I've deleted the old printer and readded it from scratch.  I've tried PCL5, PCL6, PS Driver, PS Universal (which locked up the printer properties page and I had to remove and recreate a new printer setup), I've tried C4500 Universal drivers, HP Universal Drivers and it's still not working.

Any thoughts would be great!

P.S. We did get it working once, on a local machine I copied a local driver PCL5 onto the machine and mapped the printer.  It did print.  However in trying to put the Win 2003 Server driver on the server for PCL5, no change and no go.  Then I put the shared printer back up and no changes.  Thanks ahead of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this problem with one specific PDF printing from Windows 7 to a Toshiba eStudio 451c.  It is 134 pages so I'd expect total printing time to be a while but this is taking 2-3 minutes per page, that is actually printing the page takes seconds but it sits and 'thinks' between each page.  I've tried the above changes and selecting gray scale, still takes the same amount of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2014 Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat 10.1.9 on OS X 10.9.2

I had the same issue with my Xerox 3615 printing one page per minute when using Acrobat.

I followed the steps outlined here (slightly different for Mac - you have to make sure print as image is not selected and then choose color handling: same as source)

I'm back to printing at normal speed.

No side effects noticed yet from the changed settings.

Thanks a lot for this advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am responding to you here because I can't find a way to start a new issue.

I have a similar problem. I am using Acrobat Reader 11, with a Mac Mini, OSX 10.5.5, and an HP 8720 all in one Inkjet printer. The problem is that (only) when I print from Adobe, the printer pauses and hesitates. It takes 2 minutes 44 seconds to print 4 double sided pages using Acrobat. I can print from any other source (chrome browser, your webpage, 34 seconds to print 4 double sided pages). I have Microsoft office suite installed, all the programs print normally (Excel, Word, etc.)

I have already done the hot reboot on the printer, and I've checked for current drivers, and firmware for all three programs. I'd be happy to do all that again. I just hope that we can get a dialogue going to fix this problem.

There are numerous posts of this or a very similar problem. Do you know of a standard list of actions for me to try?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to pop in and say that this advice worked great!

We recently upgraded to new computers with Windows 8, and could *not* figure out what to do about our pdfs printing so slowly all of a sudden! 

I had to install an actual copy of Adobe Reader rather than the Reader app that came with Windows 8 (because there's no apparent way to change any settings on that app), but this solved it.  Haven't used it enough to see if there are any side effects, but so far so good!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ctwilson7 - Thank you! Your setting change instructions solve a long-standing and vexing problem with slow pdf printing on my office printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. 1.             Open a PDF file
  2. 2.             From the menu, select File > Print
  3. 3.             From the dialog displayed, click on the Advanced button at the bottom
  4. 4.             On the Advanced Print Setup dialog, make sure that “Let printer determine colors” is CHECKED.
  5. 5.             Click OK and OK to print the document.

This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am actually very thankful to you for this. If you dont know anything and you ask your IT peoplr, they have millions of reasons in their knowledge to pacify you with some reason or the other. I just did follow few steps written by you in response to someone'e query and it DID SOLVE MY ISSUE. thank you much. its a great way to start a day now 🙂 strength to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad that this helped others, but unfortunately for us this made no difference.

After reinstalling Windows 10 on all machines PDF printing became extremely slow. Like 5-10 minutes for a single page. It also clogs up all the other files in the queue.

Because it was working before with the same hardware and OS, this must be due to a setting or driver issue.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. 

/David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to solve this after all.

I changed the driver from Ricoh class driver to PCL6 V4 Driver for Universal Print and speed is back to normal.

/David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David - THANK YOU!!!!

I tried the color management settings, port changes, and such listed above and none of that worked.  I installed the PCL6 V4 Driver for Universal Print and I am golden!!  You have no idea how happy this makes me .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issue as well and will try the advise given as i too have alot of

changes if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had a luck in fixing this?  I'm having the same problem printing from Windows 7 Pro to a Canon 4045 using a PCL kit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines