• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newbie learning illustrator -why can't I paint?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Im trying to learn Adobe Illustrator, but I'm having trouble right from the start. I made a video to better illustrate my issue, which in short is that I'm not able to use the paint brush tool.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJesz-1ZFtU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

You didn't select a brush for the paintbrush, but a width profile. You have to select a brush tip in the brushes panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you RTFM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learning,

As you have realized, the Helpfile (the Fine Manual) is written by and for someone with a certain knowledge about Illy; some instructions simply imply something that a new user has no way of knowing. Illy herself is actually very helpful.

If the layer had been locked, that would have been a reason.

In a case like this, you may be stuck with corrupt preferences.

To try out whether that is the case without sacrificing your preference settings unnecessarily, you may close Illy and Move the folder.

If that does not help, you may move the folder back, and try the Other options; Item 7 is a lsit of usual suspects which may disturb Illy and prevent her from helping you.

Edit: Hi PrepressPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't select a brush for the paintbrush, but a width profile. You have to select a brush tip in the brushes panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping (except for the RTFM guy).

Monika was right, I needed to select a brush from the brushes panel. That's certainly confusing for a newbie, since looking at the top panel it looked like I already had a brush selected. My previous experience with other Adobe programs certainly didn't help me realize the problem there. Small things like this make the Illustrator learning curve quite steep.

As a side note to the guy who decided to reply with "RTFM": I'm not posting only to gain knowledge, but to also show the areas that produce problems for newbies in Illustrator. This kind of information might be usefull to Adobe if their goal is to make Illustrator more accessible for a wider range of people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with using the Help file

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry, there is nothing wrong with reading the manual. Some of us simply don't like doing that a lot. I'm more of a "hands on" person and many of the Adobe manuals are written in a very alienating way.

This situation is a great example of when the manual would not have helped at all, because I was under the impression I already had a brush stroke selected (as you see I'm selecting something right next to the stroke option that looks very much like a brush).

If the manuals rock your boat, great. For me the measure of a good intuitive program is that you can work with it without reading any manuals simply because it works in a logical straightforward fashion. When I buy a mobile phone its the same thing: I don't want to spend my time reading manuals, I wan't the phone to be logical enough so that I can find things on my own.

As I pointed out earlier, the reason for my post is not only to gain information for myself, but to produce information about the difficulties a newbie faces with Illustrator. I don't believe that second task can be accomplished by reading the manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my small part you are welcome, Learning.

I believe the need to select a brush is a new feature/bug.

At least in some older versions, a default Brush (such as 3pt Round) applies, which means that you (can) use the default unless some other has been chosen (when you apply the Brush, you can, or at least could, see it selected in the Brushes palette/panel).

Obviously I was fooled by that, unable to imagine such a strange change.

Maybe in the next version you will have to click a Start Drawing button to be able to start drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

At least in some older versions, a default Brush (such as 3pt Round) applies, which means that you (can) use the default unless some other has been chosen (when you apply the Brush, you can, or at least could, see it selected in the Brushes palette/panel).

that is still the case, Jacob. Unless you're working in a file that doesn't contain any brushes. Even choosing a width profile won't do any harm normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a relief, Monika.

But this would require actual deletion of the brushes, in other words an action (of destruction) on the part of the user, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case all I did was:

1. Open a jpeg image into Illustrator

2. Create a new layer

3. Select brush tool and try to draw

Maybe it was opening the jpeg image into Illustrator that deleted the brushes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learning Illustrator wrote:

In my case all I did was:

1. Open a jpeg image into Illustrator

That was the problem. This causes Illy to bypass New document profiles which contain the brushes. Sorry, you really really should take some courses or read the manual. Illustrator is a complex software which means you cannot just use it. At least not when you expect proper results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learning, Monika.

I am afraid we are back to the new feature/bug after all:

When I File>Open a raster image into my version of (the somewhat younger) Illy, I have an AI file with the name of the image, and with all the (default) Brushes to default/choose from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least since version CS2 (maybe also CS1) you won't have any brushes, swatches, symbols, graphic styles when you open a raster image (or PDF without AI part).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does it have to be like that? Does Adobe think a user who opens a jpeg into Illustrator doesn't want to use any brushes or is there some logical explanation for this kind of un-intuitive behaviour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't open a raster image in Illustrator, but place it.

This is just the way Illustrator works: file-related settings are in the New document profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learning, Monika, others,

So:

If you stumble upon a photograph looking through some obscure folder somewhere on the harddisk or in a DVD/Floppy drive, you will have to wakr Illy up, browse to wherever the photograph is, and File>Place,

instead of just opening the file with Illy, which in itself wakes her up, and relax while everything gets loaded in the right way.

Great change in CS(2).

Why have the option of opening the file if it fails to work properly?

This is just the way Illustrator works

And this part of the reason for my saying here, and in other threads, that you have to build a knowledge before you can use the instructions (and I am quite certain the issue mentioned here is nowhere to find in the Fine Manual/Helpfile).

I am afraid you are bound to get stuck quite a few times in the beginning, whichever way you learn to know Illy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request for Place In New Document, which brings up choice of profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

As far as I understand, it (still) works with Place, but no longer (for a long time) with Open (DoubleClicking from within Illy or RightClicking/whatever and Open With Illy, or whatever that is on a Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm suggesting: that when you right-click and tell Illy to open it (or, in this case, place it) you get the dialog with profile options, so it opens as a .ai set up as you want it rather than having it open as a .jpg (or whatever) document with no swatches, styles, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, Peter, but according to Monika in post #15 you get everything (still/already) when you use File>Place, so that the issue is only with File>Open or opening with Illy from the outside. Which is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL Jacob ... a start drawing button!! LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kara.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines