Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import topic from one project to another loses Index terms

Jun 19, 2007 Jun 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm separating one project into two...and I can import the topics to the new project fine, images come fine...but the Index terms are not transferring.

Is there anyway to salvage them? Is there a setting I'm missing? Thanks!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question - is it too late to just copy the project to a new name / location and then delete the files in each that no longer apply? I have done it this way - much easier to delete than to restore or re-add what is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer! Unfortunately that would be a far bigger task. I'm pulling out 1,000 files from a project of 8,000 files. It would be harder to copy and delete everything else. I'm guessing I'm in for a long process of re-entering the terms by hand....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't follow Lmarden's advice you could also copy and paste the revelvant part of the projectname.hhk file by opening them in Notepad. You have know what you are copying/pasting though and I'd advise taking backups first. The other way around it is to set the index to be non-binary and I think then the index keywords are imported. That has additional ramifications though. See the Help which explains it better than I can here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it would be harder to delete the files? Not to beat a dying horse - but if the files you don't need are in folders that are separate from the files you want to keep, it is a cinch to use the Topic tab to delete topics by folder. And the upside is that you keep your index, TOC, map IDs - all the stuff you run the risk of losing as you set up a new project. Either way, with a project that large, it'll be an effort. Good luck to ya!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum, I intent to look at the .hhk file before I enter these by hand...but didn't know that a setting of non-binary could offer relief. I'll look at what the downside is of that first. Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't delete the index terms from the files you are deleting...you end up with broken links for them...so I would need to delete the terms for each of the other 7,000 files one by one and then delete the topics one by one....right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would delete the topics, then go into the Index listing and delete the broken term connections - it's been awhile, but I think the broken ones appear in bold face. Again, quicker to delete than to add terms back in. For me, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...changing the Index to non-binary did not pick up the terms. Oh well...good try.

I think the .hhk is going to be my best bet. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying the suggested 'delete everything else' method too...those Index terms are a pain! But I can't delete an entire folder - I have to delete topics one-by-one...is that right? Am I missing the obvious? When I click a folder and try delete...nothing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're right - you can't delete the entire folder, but you can use the Shift key to select multiple files in the folder to delete from the Topics list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

??? Not working. shift+click...no go...shift+alt+click...no go... shift + anything is not working. ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh...wrong pane!! THANK YOU!!!!! got it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whew! scared me for a minute!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Old dogs...new tricks...THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp