• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unresponsive plugin Shockwave Flash

New Here ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I receive the message "Unresponsive plugin Shockwave Flash" and my computer freezes.  This usually happens when I try to watch a YouTube video.  I am using Firefox with Windows Vista.  I have uninstalled old versions and installed the latest Adobe Flash 13.  I have checked to see that the plugin is enabled in Firefox.  I have followed all the suggestions and for a time it works, but after a while I get the "unresponsive plugin" message and my computer freezes up.  This is beyond frustrating, please help.

Pat D. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike, but this did not work. I reset Firefox as instructed, but I sill get the unresponsive plugin when I navigate to any page that has an automatic start video.

Any other suggestions?

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give Flash Player and Shockwave a full clean install.

There are two Flash Players for Windows (three if you count Chrome's PepperFlash plug-in)

ActiveX is for IE - IE needs it because it uses 1993 ActiveX controls for security, which is not really secure at all, and complicates everything you do with IE.

The standard plug-in is for Firefox, Opera, Safari and several other lesser known browsers like Maxthon and Seamonkey.

If you use IE and another browser, you need both, and they both need to be up to date. As I mentioned Chrome has its own which updates through the browser.

To make sure you're up to date for both, download the following:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Flash Player Uninstaller

Also, download these:

Shockwave Player Uninstaller

Shockwave Player 112 FULL installer (ther browsers)

You'll need to install Shockwave with the FULL installer for IE too, but there isn't a direct download for it. You'll need to go to: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/otherversions/ using IE AFTER everything else is done.

Save all the files and close your browser.

Run the uninstallers first (both of them)

Go to: C/Windows/System32

Delete the Macromed folder.

Open your Registry Editor (Start>Run or press the Windows key + R and type 'regedit' [minus the quotes] and click OK)

In the Registry Editor, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

Delete the Macromedia folder (Right click and choose "Delete").

Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software and delete the Macromedia folder there too.

Close the Registry Editor and empty your recycle bin.

Run the Flash Player installers, and then the Shockwave FULL installer you downloaded.

Lastly, open IE and go to: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/otherversions/ to download and install the Shockwave FULL installer for ActiveX (IE).

For Firefox, I recommend FlashBlock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/) It'll prevent ANY Flash content from loading until you allow it manually. It can get to be a pain, but you eventually get used to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are You Kidding me right now!

This is beyond Stupid and frustrating!  so even after you do all of what you have stated you still have to install a flash block and get used to manually playin or stopping flash!

why isnt there a patch or update for this, i have litteray been dealing with this problem for 3 months to where i almost just use my tablet instead of my computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Know what?

I'M  S I C K   O F   T H I S   S H I T!!!!!

Get a Mac!

They work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2014 May 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a helpful suggestion. I can't afford to scrape my system and buy an expensive Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These instructions were a bit overwhelming, so I decided to try something simpler. I uninstalled my Xfinity toolbar and that seems to have worked - at least I was able to view the video that had been causing the latest crash.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines