• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you use multiple RoboHelp Versions?

New Here ,
May 03, 2007 May 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been working on RoboHelp X5 for a while now. One of my co-workers needs someone to back her up on her projects going forward. Her projects are created and maintained in X5. The person she wants to train (so she can go on vacation for cryin' out loud) has version 6.
I'm gussing that this isn't an ideal situation but is it possible? If there aren't too many to mention, what are the pitfalls in doing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 03, 2007 May 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LadyWolf

As long as you don't use any version 6 specific features, you should be able to reasonably easily move projects. Basically, if you touch an X5 project using 6, 6 will make it its own by converting the project database file. Once this happens, you may no longer use X5 to directly open the project.

Here's a workaround. Edit the project using 6 and make the final step before you close to compile a .CHM using the Microsoft HTML Help layout. Back in X5, open the project via the .HHP file. This is a file type needed by the Microsoft HTML Help Compiler. RoboHelp should advise that it sees an existing .XPJ and ask if you wish to use it instead. Just ignore it and RoboHelp will open the .HHP and rebuild a new .XPJ file for you.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2007 May 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This looks like it will prove helpful!
If all doesn't work out I'll post back.... if it does, assume the best!!
Thank you again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2007 May 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,
Just been reading what you recommended to Lady Wolf. I use RH 5 (the olde one), on my laptop. But RH 6 at work here. So am running the risk of getting into the same situation.
Can the same technique be applied???
Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AlScott9028001

You should be fine with that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al

The license permits RH6 to be installed on two machines for your use so if your employers are happy, you could also install it on your home PC.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2007 May 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But to reinstall RH6 on another PC (using the same copy) you have to 'release' the # from the copy on PC 'A' so you can put the licenced version on PC 'B' - ie you can only have one licenced copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2007 May 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your licence allow you to install and activate on two PCs. It is when you go to put it on a third PC that you have to deactivate one copy.

That does not allow two people to use that licence. The licence is to one person but on two PCs.

My personal copy is installed on both my desk PC and my laptop and that is within the licence terms.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2007 Jun 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I've tried doing an install on a 'clean' PC - to no avail. It keeps saying that the number of licenses has been reached, even though I've used the same ID (user/organisation) details.......
Any ideas to what I'm doing wrong??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH6 definitely allows two installations so if you are getting that message as far as Adobe's database is concerned, it has been activated twice.

Are you absolutely sure the only other installation is your work PC? If it has been installed on another PC and then not deactivated, then that is the limit of two.

If you know what PC it was installed on and then uninstalled without deactivation, post back.

Otherwise follow this link and phone your local Activation centre. Explain whatever has happened and they will talk you through what to do.

http://www.adobe.com/activation/phonenumbers.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I know it's only on one PC here.- but I'll give it a try again. I've noticed they do say on their website not to use the number keypad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Egh? Can you point me to where it says not to use the numeric keypad?

For what it is worth, I had the same problem. Went to install a copy on a second PC and hit this problem. Adobe had a record of the second activation date and it didn't throw any light on it for me. Nonetheless they accepted my word.

Maybe the dates will mean something to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp