• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links not working after updating from RH8 to RH 11

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated a .hpj RH 8 project to RH 11 html but I am having a lot of  trouble with  most of the links. For example, most of the links in my Table of Contents, in the Index and in the topics themselves do not work.... I have looked on the forum but haven't found anyone yet with the same problem.. Thanks so much for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does RoboHelp provide a clue to what is going on? Does your TOC show red

crosses? Do you have lots of broken links or missing topics?

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No broken links are in my Broken Links folder. Below is what my table

of contents looks like. I know how to relink the topics but I was

wondering if there is a step I was missing in the update from RH8 to

RH 11. I have a few much bigger help projects to convert and I don't

want to have to redo the table of contents for each of those

projects... if I don't have to...

Thanks,

Emacs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the camera icon in the web interface version of the forums to post screenshots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No broken links are in my Broken Links folder. I know how to relink

the topics but I was wondering if there is a step I was missing in

the update from RH8 to RH 11. I have a few much bigger help projects

to convert and I don't want to have to redo the table of contents for

each of those projects... if I don't have to...

My TOC doesn not show red crosses. Next to the Topics in the Table of

contents is a small blue circle...

Thanks so much for your help..

Nicola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browser are you using to display your help? If Chrome, try another browser and see if that resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't use the browser to to display my help. I generate an html file, .chm.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Where is your CHM file when you are trying to use it? Is it by chance on a network drive? If so, copy it to a local drive and see if your situation changes at all.

Screen captures of what you are seeing would possibly be helpful here. Use the browser to reply and use the camera icon to insert the image.

Click the image below for larger view

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's on my local drive.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue after upgrading from RH 6 to RH 11 (I'm trial testing this version).  The issue is when viewing TOC in the Robohelp Manager - this is before compiling.  The topic on the TOC is represented by "globe" icon and clicking on it will display the TOC Page Properties with option to select the topic to link.  I can view the TOC in RH 6 just fine. 

This happens to most of the topics and there are just too many to redo them.  Below is a screenshot. 

Thanks in advance for any advise.

TOC RH11.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthermore, when viewing the Topic Links for these topics.. they are pointing to URLs or to a CHM file.  Any reason why?  When these TOC topics have been linked to each topic in RH6, I used the specific topic link in word document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Were you the author of the older CHM file or are you new to the mix?

Do you have one of the older CHM files to examine?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I didn't start the project but I have been working on it (updating) for a couple of years or so in RH 6.  Yes, I do have an older copy or the CHM files (or I can compile a CHM file using RH 6).

Thanks for the reply,

Era. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So one thing that would be interesting to see is exactly where the links are pointing in the original file. An upgrade shouldn't be re-pointing any links. So I'm naturally suspicious. Are you absolutely certain that the links that are causing issues weren't pointing the same way in the old project?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding screenshots and for the particular topic that I chose, the only difference is that the topic has mid-topics in it as shown in RH 6 but none in RH 11.  As mid-topics are represented by hash (#) character in RH 6 and seems that this is considered as invalid/illegal character in RH 11 (there are broken links in RH 11 for my project due to # character considered as invalid character) - could it be the cause?  If so, is there a work-around?  The # character is valid character in RH 6 and there are so many mid-topics in my projects.

rh11 chmlink.PNGrh6.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, when I upgrade.. I used the Open file function on this one.  There are broken Links that not that many. 

Then, I created another project from the backup of the original and use the Import (WinHelp Project) to see if this process will improve my current testing situation.  It didn't.  There are more Broken Links than the 1st lot of upgrade. 

Before I downloaded the trial version of RH 11, I read that upgrade from RH 6 is available and they are compatible.  I read in RH 11 help file but I can't find topic about preparation of RH 6 projects before upgrading.  Could you please point me to any materials that discuss this?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Post 10 in this thread you say "When these TOC topics have been linked to each topic in RH6, I used the specific topic link in word document."

Please show us exactly how you are doing that.

Also if you create a similar link afresh in Rh11, does that work and does the HTML look any different.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rh6 new link.JPG

The screenshot above shows how I add new topic to the TOC in RH 6 and link it to a topic in a document.

rh11 new link 2.JPG

The topic highlighted above has working link in RH 6.  But has none in RH 11.  Adding the link in RH 11 shows no difference as shown in screenshot below.

rh11 new link.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh RoboHelp for Word.

Well, good luck with that! I'm out.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported the Robohelp for Word in version 6 project to RH 6 HTML.  I also, fix the broken links in RH 6 HTML.  Then upgraded the HTML projects to RH 11 and I still have the same issue on the TOC topics - missing links.  I don't think it has something to do with the project being for RH for Word at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are the links being created as remote URLs if the topic is another topic in the project? (Did I miss something in the thread?)

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what my question is, Peter - the reason for my post here.  Why the links are pointing to remote URLs?  And why is it not happening to all the topics in TOC?

Is there any specific instructions/manual to upgrade for RH 6 to 11 that I can refer to? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I think the issue here is that you not only upgraded from RoboHelp version 6 to RoboHelp version 11, but in that process you also switched the authoring environment from RoboHelp for Word to RoboHelp HTML. And something about that process has really caused things to go wonky. Without knowing exactly the steps you followed during the process of "upgrading" the project, it's going to be really super difficult to say what is breaking and where the break is occurring.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, I did several different processes for testing the upgrade as follows:

1. Upgrade from Robohelp for Word 6 to RH 11.
    • Took a copy of our existing project and save locally.
    • Launch RH 11.
    • On RH 11 Starter window, click on Open under Recent Projects section.
    • Locate the UserManual file.  The file type is .hpj.
    • A pop-up message appears that there is already an .XPJ file.  Should I use the XPJ and not the HHP?
    • I tried using both - XPJ and HHP.
    • A pop-up message about upgrade will be displayed.
    • Click Yes/Ok.
    • The workspace is then displayed.
    • The TOC topic links are missing and opening the topic properties will display the remote URLs link.
  2. Upgrade from Robohelp HTML 6 TO RH 11.
    • Took a copy of our existing project and save locally.
    • Convert the Word documents to HTML in RH 6.
    • Launch RH 11.
    • On RH 11 Starter window, click on Import>More.
    • Locate the UserManual file. 
    • A pop-up message appears that there is already an .XPJ file.  Should I use the XPJ and not the HHP?
    • I tried using both - XPJ and HHP.
    • A pop-up message about upgrade will be displayed.
    • Click Yes/Ok.
    • The workspace is then displayed.
    • The TOC topic links are missing and opening the topic properties will display the remote URLs link.

It could be something to do with the file types.  Upgrading to RH 11 is already going to create more work for us for the context-sensitive configuration.  I wouldn't want to restore the TOC topic links manually if I don't have to.

Thanks for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way for me to send/attach series of screenshots (posted in Word) for the steps taken to upgrade the project?

Saving every screenshots and uploading each one of them is a bit daunting and will surely flood the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp