• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 install on case-sensitive file system - can't choose different drive (Mac OS)

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my macbook pro to a new drive and 10.6, and chose 'case sensitive' HFSX, 'cause I'm a heavy command line user and wanted the maximum BASH experience.

I'm trying to install the CS5 demo to try some web design tools, and the installer immediately says "Installation to case-sensitive drives is not supported. Please choose a different drive location to install." So case-sensitive drives aren't supported; crappy but fair enough.

The error message leads me to think that I can just choose a non-case-sensitive drive to install to, but I never get a chance to pick one - I click on the installer and it goes straight to the error message.

So - how do I pick a different drive to install to? Am I just an idoit, is there no way to select a different drive, or will it not install on a system that even BOOTS from a c.s. drive, regardless of the format of the drive that CS5 is installed to?

I called the support number, and the poor fellow on the other end suggested I re-download the demo, and if the new download fails call Apple support to report my 'drive error'.

I'm hoping to avoid an entire backup-reformat-restore and lose CLI compatibility just to try some demo software.

ch

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Adobe applications should be installed on the boot volume, the same volume where the OS resides.

If you absolutely want to avoid a reformat of that drive, then you have to create a separate, dedicated bootable volume on a different drive where you can install and run Photoshop.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, I know.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not happy about it, but figured it'd be fastest to just suck it up and reformat the drive. Sucks.

I used the Snow Leopard install disk to create a backup image on an external drive, formated the internal as NON case sensitive, then did a restore COPY (not ERASE, which just changed the internal drive back to case sensitive and made me have to start over). What a waste of time.

😞

ch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another reason to NOT buy this crappy software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can only aggree... crappy software!! I just blew couple of hunred euro on a eclipse plugin from adobe!! stupid company policy.Cause last version worked flawless on case sensitive drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I can be happy that I actually first downloaded the trial version despite having tested the software on other computers already. Having it completely fail to install on a case sensitive file system sadly needs to turn my choice from a "definitely buy" to a "too buggy to spend money on".

All the "good" reasons given for case insensitivity still don't render void all the good reasons other people have to use exactly that. And I find it quite "interesting" to be told as a (potential) customer that it's my fault when a customer makes the perfectly valid request, that the product should run on the system it is advertised to work with...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop clearly states that it can't be installed on a case sensitive file system.

We are still working with Apple to resolve the tool chain problems that prevent us from doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it however does NOT clearly state the "boot" volume must be case insensitive. cause otherwise you could just throw in a extra drive or sparse bundle and you would be good to go.

I mean seriously requiring a complete re-install of the OS to run an application is crazy.

well I moved on and abandoned flash / flex for HTML5.  so long adobe and good riddance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Photoshop clearly states that it can't be installed on a case sensitive file system.

Where does it say that my root directory has to be of that type? Providing a free partition is much easier than requiring the whole OS to be modified.  Subsequently tried to install it on an additional HDD - but I don't even get that choice.

If I go by the system requirements description no such limitation is mentioned. Only after I downloaded the trial package and ran into that problem I even became aware that such problem can exist - something I'd not have thought of possible before actually seeing it.

http://store.adobe.com/store/de/popup/software/creativesuite/designstandard5/systemreqs.html also mentions the case insensitivity requirement after the required hard disk space. It probably could and should get its own separate main entry in that list for its severity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was originally posted 5 years ago.

You reported a year ago 'toolchain' problems.

Adobe does not care about end users.

Period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2012, adobe does not support case sensitive file systems? wow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had my credit card ready, fortunately I downloaded the trial first, and discovered the case sensitive install issue.

There is no exuse to not have fixed this by 2012!

Another adobe fail

I am not going to reformat my drive just because of you.

My deployment enviroment are linux servers, so my development machine (mac) requires case sensitivity!

Will start looking for an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that the tool chain in question, is supplied by Apple.

Not all issues are in the developer's control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, as that maybe but the beta and previous versions did nor care. still pissed that I paid for a piece of software I was never able to use. On the up

side I did not waste time on this dead technology. flash is dead and good riddance adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Cox,

Would you mind explaining a bit more about the "tool chain" problem and why it's an Apple issue? Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple suppplies the build tools: compiler, linker, package building code.

Apple supplies the OS loader that loads the code.

Those parts are not under the control of the third party developer.

And those parts, don't always get it right, especially when building larger applications that have to be built in parts on multiple systems by multiple teams.

We're still trying to work with Apple on this, but it's always 2 steps forward and 1 (or more) steps back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you be specific about what the real issue is/are? Is it an Xcode issue? I would really like to understand what exactly the problem is, if that's possible. Other than Adobe, do you know of any other applications that have this problem with case-sensitive file system installation and correct running.

Even at the 2 steps forward and 1 back, you will evenually get where you want to go, as progress is made every step of the way - just half as much as you would hope 😉

Thanks again...

-Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we know of other cases. No, we can't say much because of NDAs.

And yes, we are still trying to make progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Cox, as a developer, that excuse is a really bad one.

If a toolchain is inhibiting you from preforming a function in some way, you work around it. That's one of the fundamentals of good developent.

I know I don't have all the information, but bottom of the line, you dont put a problem like this into a released product of a multi-milion dollar corporation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are just my wild ass guesses...

Photoshop is incredibly complex, not only because it's a huge, feature-rich app, BUT ALSO because it's built to run on two different operating systems (or 3 times that if you consider all the ones released during its lifetime), AND ALSO because it's been maintained at a feverish "add new gee whiz features as quickly as possible for the next major release" pace through 13 releases, NOT TO MENTION it's been maintained over 2 decades by hundreds (thousands?) of different programmers, not all of whom speak the same language.

It just might not be *quite* as simple as you think.  Times ten.

Okay, maybe my guesses are not so wild.  This is 35 years of solid software engineering experience talking, much of which was in big companies.  Yes, I already had 15 years experience when Photoshop was first invented.

And c'mon, Chris is certainly not allowed to tell us all the "dirt" about Photoshop - we're privileged he expresses as much as he does.  Most big companies would not say anything at all (most don't), and those others would just toe the line "it's perfect, what's the matter with you?".

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a valid reason for trying to install on a case sensitive drive, besides some arcane developer crotchitiness?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because some of us arcane developers write software for UNIX systems, also if you develop on a case-sensitive drive by default all your code will ALSO run on an insensitive system. Also very usefull to find issues in web applications that get deployed to NIX system.  Looks like adobe sacked there arcance developers and left all there products as steaming piles I don't buy the toolchain line (well maybe for photoshop) but definately NOT THEIRE ECLIPSE PLUGIN which worked flawless in BETA then the final release would not install. BASTARDS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add that I finally found an upgrade that cost like 230USD, converted.

This was OK.

I am pleased to say that CS6 is quite fast, and stuff like that, and some of the UI is nice too, crop seems quite intuitive, with the new 'way'.

However, I am still bitter about the case-insensitive problem.

I've upgraded machines over the last 5 year stand off with Adobe, but now that I found that the work-around I had (load off a disk image) was so slow compared to a real install, I finally let go and reverted to case-insensitive.

I'd prefer Adobe not be the only software maker that could not sort this out in a subsequent update, but then again, they're still trying to offload Flash on the remaining unsuspecting plebs on the net... So there.

I still like Photoshop but that's about all. (bring back Freehand!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't buy the excuse!

Here is the hacking:

http://arcticmac.home.comcast.net/~arcticmac/tutorials/cs5instructions.html

There is nothing related to toolchain.

Now I understand how Adobe hates Apple. And I see why Flash is dying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The toolchain is the problem - the case of many frameworks doesn't survive the tools, can't be updated correctly, etc.

We keep trying to make it work, and the tool supplier (Apple) keeps coming up with new ways to prevent it from working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines