• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 13 will not work in different browsers

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use several browsers on my Windows XP laptop but predominantly Firefox.  Prior to the last Flash release I was able to access and use Flash from any of he browsers.  Since the last release there is an option to install either for IE or for other browsers.  When I install the "other browsers" my Firefox works fine but I cannot access things that need Flash in IE and vice versa.  In prior releases they worked seamlessly.  Can I go back to a prior version of Flash?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

UPDATE:  I followed instructions here https://forums.adobe.com/message/6318781#6318781 and that worked !

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problems using the latest Flash Player version on IE, Firefox, or Pale Moon.

If you want to revert to the earlier version, uninstall the current version, then download and install the version of your choice from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html#Flash%20Player%20archives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on an XP machine?  I'm thinking maybe it is related to the ending of Windows support for XP?  I'll try to uninstall and revert back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several XP-SP3 systems; all work fine with the latest Flash Player version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bees Knees,

There are two versions of Flash Player, ActiveX for Internet Explorer and Plugin for other browsers.  Based on your comments you've installed the Plugin but not the ActiveX.  This is why it won't work on IE.  Please go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer and select the version for Internet Explorer.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Maria.  But each time I install the IE version, the Firefox plugin no longer works.  Am I doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to install both ActiveX and plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BeesKnees,

As Pat mentions, you need both the ActiveX and Plugin installed to use IE and non-IE browsers.

What do you mean by "But each time I install the IE version, the Firefox plugin no longer works."?  These are two independent files and installing one will not automatically remove the other. I'd like view the contents of your FlashInstall.log file, located at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.  I imagine the file is fairly large by now, and unfortunately, the forums don't allow for attaching files.  If you have a location online somewhere you can post the file to for me to access that would be great.  Otherwise, post the contents of the end of the file, for the last several installs/uninstalls you performed? In the log file, each install/uninstall begins with =0==== followed by version and date=== and ends with ===X=== followed by version and date ===. Also, please post the list of files at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.

Thank you in advance.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - I went back again.  And it is not that it uninstalls.  When I try to install the IE version it gets to the end and then says "Error:  Failed To Register".  So I cannot install it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:  I followed instructions here https://forums.adobe.com/message/6318781#6318781 and that worked !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2014 May 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi BeesKnees

I'm glad it worked out for you.  The help page page Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows addresses multiple issue, including the 'failed to register' error you were getting, however, sometimes using the MSI installer, instead of the EXE, seems to do the trick.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines