Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CRM form creation

Contributor ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to Business Catalyst and I'm trying to create a CRM Form. The following set of system fields come ready under the contacts area when creating a regular web form:

Title

First Name

Last Name

I need to add another field to this block, ie. "Middle Name", so I created this as a custom CRM form. When I went back to my original regular form to insert the "Middle Name", I wanted to insert it between First Name and Last Name but there doesn't seem to be a way to insert it where I want it.

I have the same problem with the next block of information, ie. I use the following system fields for the home address:

Home Address

City

State

Zipcode/Postcode

Country

But I want to insert a Home Address2 field underneath the first Home Address input field. Again I created the custom CRM form with just this one field, i.e. Home Address2 but like the "Middle Name" mentioned above, I'm unable to insert it under the system "Home Address" field that's already in the form.

So can anyone tell me if I can solve the above problems or would I have to create a separate CRM form containing all the fields in each block. For example, I'd create my own customer Home Address form with the following fields:

Home Address

Home Address2

City

State

Zipcode/Postcode

Country

If the above is correct, then wouldn't that mean that the data would be stored at the bottom of the contact section in the backend instead of up the top as if I had used the regular contact fields?

Appreciate any advice offered.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. It won't appear with the default address fields, but will instead appear at the bottom with the other extended CRM fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply,

So just to clarify, are you also saying that even thought I created a 1 field crm form containing just Home Address2, that I can't insert this below the default Home Address field that is part of the default contact field? I mean are you saying that I need to create a separate crm form if I want this to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct to your first one. The second, I wouldn't recommend creating entire sets of custom address fields just so it looks good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok but I'm not creating the entire set of custom fields just so it looks good. I would only be doing it because there's no way to insert the fields that I need within the default set so I don't know what other option I have. If I stick with the default sets then it's going to look like this:

Title

First Name

Last Name

Middle Name

Home Address

City

State

Zipcode/Postcode

Country

Home Address2

Can you let me know why you don't recommend creating entire sets of custom fields?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can customize your form layouts all you want. It's where the fields are displayed in the admin that you can't customize.

The reasons it isn't good to create duplicate fields, include:

• confusion from people using the CRM later on
  • waste
  • the original fields are tied into the system, and have module tags ( {tag_firstname}, {tag_homephone} ) you can use throughout your site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be a bit vague but I obviously don't understand how it works properly. You just said that you can customise your form layouts all you want but this is where the problem is. I need the custom "Middle Name" field to be placed between the first and last name fields but as I said it won't let me do this when I create a web form. If I try and drag the custom crm field up into the system contact fields it won't go there so how can I customise it? Do you mean that I would have to go into the html?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in the html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok I got it now. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines