• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange Characters instead of Expected Russian appear in Glossary Tab in 32-bit OS

Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 9.0.271.

I consider myself relatively well-versed in localization issues when it comes to generating an html help (chm) from RoboHelp, but this one has me stumped. In the Russian version of our main help file, the Glossary tab has strange ASCII characters in place of expected Russian characters when the help file is viewed on an 32-bit system, like this:

But notice RH's Glossary pod in the RH UI in the above capture. It displays the correct characters.

Similarly, if it's viewed on a 64-bit system, it displays the Russian characters properly.

• My system locale setting in Control Panel's language settings is properly set to Russian.
  • My .glo file when viewed in NotePad has its encoding set to UTF-8 (though I tried ASCII to no avail).
  • My language settings in RH are set to Russian at the project level and at the single source layout level.
  • My .hhp file has these glossary-related settings:

[OPTIONS]

Custom tab="&Glossary", HHActiveX.GlossaryPane

[WINDOWS]

HtmlHelp="Файл справки PC-DMIS","Core.hhc","Core.hhk","","intro.htm",,,,,0x400e1520,0,0x384e,[167,44,867,684],0x0,0x0,,0,0,0,[Glossary,HHActiveX.GlossaryPane]

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Or is this just a limitation of 32-bit systems and Russian characters that I'll have to swallow?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

I figured out the problem. Our product stopped registering HHActiveX.dll on 32-bit systems. When I manually re-registered this dll, the expected characters once again displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jared

This thread is not about glossary issues but it does contain some precise instructions from Bill Bloomberg about foreign language CHMs. I wonder if it might help.

Re: Is there a solution for Searching in Asian Pacific (double-byte) languages?

Also try this one.

Contents and Index tabs showing garbage characters in Asian languages (RoboHelp 10)

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out the problem. Our product stopped registering HHActiveX.dll on 32-bit systems. When I manually re-registered this dll, the expected characters once again displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp