• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can a Mac Mini run premiere and After effects using 1080p video?

New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi friends,

I am looking to get another computer for video editing. Do you think a Mac Mini with these specs:

2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB

1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Will be enough to run premiere and after effects easily without minimal lag? I pretty much always use video shot from the Canon mkiii and convert to ProRes or H.264 and the files are usually pretty heavy......

Don't have the cash to buy a gangsta tower or Imac. I have a Mac monitor so just wanted to get a mac mini.

Thanks for any advice!

J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jrjl wrote:

I am looking to get another computer for video editing. Do you think a Mac Mini with these specs:

You're going to have a rough time with a Mac Mini because it doesn't have a discrete GPU (nVidia/AMD).  It relies on the Intel 4K integrated with the CPU.  Given that, you'll get absolutely no help from the hardware MPE in Pr.  Everything will be software-only, and fairly slow at that.

Minis are crap, really; good for small file servers if you can attach a ton of external disk; good for print servers, etc.  They're not good for computationally-heavy tasks.  Save your sheckles and get a 15" Macbook Pro with a discrete GPU (it means spending some more money).  It'll run Pr a lot better than the Mini does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jason,

I have an imac from mid 2011. So I think maybe I should look into getting a solid state hard drive or more ram instead of the mac mini. Or getting that laptop.

Cheers!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jrjl wrote:

I have an imac from mid 2011. So I think maybe I should look into getting a solid state hard drive or more ram instead of the mac mini. Or getting that laptop.

I'm not sure how well that iMac is going to serve you due to the storage limitations of it.  If I'm not mistaken, a 2011 iMac is prior to Apple's shift to Thunderbolt.  It means that external storage will be limited to USB 2 and/or Firewire, neither of which are any good.  With Pr, you generally want several storage volumes (scratch space, media, output, etc).  That's much harder to accomplish with the older iMacs.

If you can stomach selling the iMac and investing that money into a new Macbook Pro along with an external Thunderbolt 2 RAID array, you'll be much better off.  But, that solution isn't cheap...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice. That would explain why my new Lacie Thunderbolt drive does not make bringing files across any faster. I thought because my imac had a thunderbolt port, that it would be set up for thunderbolt. But it's not even set up for usb.3.

I better start saving. I might be able to cough up enough for a second hand macbookpro (2013) hopefully. Can't do new

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

Sorry, but I need your help again.

Just got my hands on a refurbished 15inch macbook pro Feb 2013.

8gb Ram

2.4 GHz i7

NVIDIA GeForce GT650m 1024mb

I have CS5.5 running on it, and just tried rendering out a 1920x1080 sequence (About 5 minutes of footage, with only a few fx and titles etc) All my footage is coming off a LACIE Thunderbolt drive.

IT'S RENDERING SOOOOOO SLOW...... It's killing me.

Any reasons why this is? I thought this thing would boost compared to my stock 2011 iMac 12.5 inch.

Thanks in advanced!

Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamie -

Jrjl wrote:

NVIDIA GeForce GT650m 1024mb

IT'S RENDERING SOOOOOO SLOW...... It's killing me.

Do you have the nVidia CUDA preference panel installed?  Did you remove the cuda_supported_cards.txt file from the Premiere Pro installation directory?  Without doing those steps, you won't be able to take advantage of the nVidia GPU in the laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You really need 16GB of ram on the MacBook. Check under Project preferences and General to see if the MPE is set to hardware mode.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moved to the Hardware forum.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines