Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 11 Trial closes immediately when opened

May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday, I installed a trial of Robohelp 11 on my personal Windows 7x64 machine in an attempt to learn the program for a potential job. 

Fresh install and when I opened the program, it immediately closes.  No error message.  I have spent probably 3 hours troubleshooting on my own and 45 min chatting with Adobe support.  So far, no resolution.  It is completely baffling me.  My userid on the computer is in the Administrators group, and I have no problems installing other software.  This is all that has been done troubleshooting:

1) I have changed the shortcut properties to run as Administrator (Shortcut tab-Advanced-Run as Administrator and Compatibility tab - Run this Program as an Administrator) as well as right clicking on the shortcut and choosing Run as Administrator. 

2) I have tried running in compatibility mode as XP with SP2 and 3.

3) I have completely uninstalled the program, downloaded it again, and reinstalled.

4) I have looked in Event Viewer and found no error or informational messages to point to a problem

5) I have turned on the hidden Administrator account (net user administrator /active:yes), logged in to it and launched the program.  In fact, this was the last thing the Adobe chat support rep suggested I tried before I had to end the session to meet someone for dinner last night.

Those are the main things I can think of that I've done.  I am at a complete loss.  Anyone run into this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This may be a silly question, but are you certain you have actually installed the application?

I ask because with Adobe apps such as RoboHelp, you perform a download. Then you run a file after you download. Sometimes folks believe that running the first file handles the installation. It usually doesn't. What usually happens is that you extract the installation files to a folder. You then have to visit the folder where the files were extracted to then run the actual installation for RoboHelp.

Apologies if you already were aware of this and have already done what was described.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm 100% positive it's installed.  The initial splash screen for Robohelp comes up (below) and then disappears after about a second or two.

robohelp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the level of information in your first post, I am assuming you would have mentioned if you had installed to other than the C drive.

I did wonder about an anti-virus program interferring but I think that would prevent Rh from opening rather starting it and then closing. It might nonetheless be worth disconnecting from the internet and turning off the AV.

Where did you unpack the download? Was it to a drive other than C? If it was, try moving the unpacked download to C and then installing.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I've tried disabling A/V.

I had initially downloaded it to my D drive and installed it to C.  I've since uninstalled completely, downloaded to C and installed to D.  Same thing. 

At this point, I'm just resigned to the fact that it'll never work.  It shouldn't be this hard to install a program.  I wish there was a Mac version of this.  I truly hate Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both cases you are downloading to one drive and installing on another.

Try one drive for both is what I meant.

Post back if still no joy.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try it tho I think I've already done that in one of my installs.

FYI, I just downloaded and installed and ran a trial of Adobe Captivate.  No problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the Rh download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robohelp is 658M.  Captivate is 1.18G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UGGGGGGGHHHHH.  I spoke too soon.  Captivate does the same thing but stays open longer.  When I open Captivate, it stays open for about 8-10 seconds.  But during this time, it is completely unresponsive.  I can't click on anything in the splash screen or any of the menus.  Like I said, this happens when I launch these programs using other profiles on here, so it's a system wide problem, not just my profile.  This is so frustrating.  I have no problems installing other software.  But Adobe products apparently DO NOT WORK on this computer.  Although Reader and Photoshop work.  Go figure.  I have no idea. 

I've tried disabling my firewall and A/V.  I've spent 45 minutes with Adobe support and frankly have no desire to continue on that course.  It is not a disk space problem either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to rule out a virus problem, I installed a different demo (Nero Burning ROM), and it runs fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have a TCS download right now. I will download Rh in the morning so

that we can be sure the download is complete. (Late here now.)

Which browser are you using for download?

No comfort to you but usually Adobe do get it going so there is something

odd here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Chrome.  I also just booted into Safe Mode and tried both programs.  Same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for fun, try Firefox. Any download size difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the download size published on Adobe's site and you do seem to have the full file.

I think the only step now is to first uninstall Rh using RevoUninstaller. It cleans deeper than any apps own uninstall and it has sorted out some knotty issues before.

Then perhaps we can have a screenshare enabling me to watch your installation. If you would like to give that a try, email me via my site and let me know what time zone you are in. I am UK based.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp