• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot generate PDF directly with RH11.

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH and Word 2013. My project publishes to Word with no problem. When I publish directly to PDF, I see this error 

Any ideas on what to do?

Starting to build Printed Documentation...
Printed Documentation processor 11.0.0.179

Building D:\RH_output\Robohelp11_acceptance\PDF\v0291\Printed_Documentation.doc ...

Preparing to create Printed Documentation...
Clearing output folder...
Preparing files for Print Document...
Copying files...
Updating files...
Finished preparing in 4 seconds.
Preparing environment...
Printed Document Generator Environment: Word 15.0.4551,  OS 6.1.7601, RAM 1024 M Bytes
Building Printed Documentation 'Printed Documentation'...
Building Single Document 'Printed_Documentation.doc'...
Building 'cover0291'...

lots of processing and building

Saving 'Printed_Documentation.doc'...
Updating Index...
Updating Table of Contents...
Generating 'Printed_Documentation.pdf'...
Failed the generate PDF file 'D:\RH_output\Robohelp11_acceptance\PDF\v0291\Printed_Documentation.pdf'...
Failed to save 'Printed_Documentation.doc'...
Cleaning up temporary files...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you also have an earlier version of Word installed?

Are you seeing an Acrobat ribbon in Word (all versions if more than one)?

Is the project also on the D drive?

If you generate the Word document and then select Adobe PDF, does that work?

Do you have standalone Rh11 or is it part of TCS5?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers.

Regards, Joanne

Do you also have an earlier version of Word installed?

Joanne>> I have RH9 and Word 2010 on my PC, but am testing RH 11 and Word 13 on a virtual machine. It is RH11 and Word 2013 that have the problem.

Are you seeing an Acrobat ribbon in Word (all versions if more than one)?

Joanne>>I don't see the acrobat ribbon in Word 2013 but do in 2010.

Is the project also on the D drive?

Joanne>>Yes, but in different folder.

D:\RH_local\Robohelp11_acceptance\xxx

and

D:\RH_output\Robohelp11_acceptance

If you generate the Word document and then select Adobe PDF, does that work?

Joanne>>I can export from Wrod 2013 to PDF but can't save as PDF

Do you have standalone Rh11 or is it part of TCS5?

Joanne>>Standalone, sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that the PDF Add-in is not being seen on your 2013 machine. I had 2010 and 2013 on the same machine and removing 2010 fixed this issue. However, you have one version on your machine and the other on a virtual machine, effectively two machines.

Getting the ribbon to show on the VM is the objective. Try reinstalling first and make sure the add-in option is ticked.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am not able to generate to PDF on RoboHelp 11. How do I install the PDF add-in? I don't see any Adobe tab on my Word 2013 ribbon.

Thanks in advance for your time.

regards,

ShƩba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you select PDF in the Print Dialog? Do you get the Failed message as above, does it stall? what does it do?

Once you have generated the Word document, if you then print, do you see PDF as an option? Is there more than one PDF writer shown in the list of printers?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I uninstalled and re-installed RH11 as per the adobe support technician's advice.

However this has not resolved the issue.

PDF.png

When I use the 'Printed Documentation' layout to generate a PDF I still get the 'Failed to generate Printed Documentation.

see screen shot

I don't have more than one PDF option. When I open Word, I do have a Save As PDF option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2014 May 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I uninstalled RH11 and then re-installed and the Add-In was ticked. It did not work.

I have now uninstalled Acrobat Pro and it is still not working.

I can see the Adobe PDF Creation Add-ON XI on my installed programs so I am very confused why it is still not working . (I did reboot the machine).

Thanks,

ShƩba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the virtual machine that has the problem, as I understand it.

Maybe the problem was having the boxed ticked when Acrobat was already installed on the virutal machine. I can only suggest you now also uninstall Rh from the virtual machine and make sure that Control Panel has no reference to Acrobat or Rh. Then install Rh again with the check box ticked, or install Acrobat and then Rh without the check box ticked.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I don't know what you mean by the virtual machine. My IT guy came and looked at my machine and said there is NO virtual machine.

I have now uninstalled everything. Reinstalled RH11 and ticked the Acrobat Plugin and still no joy.

How would I find the Virtual machine, where would it be on a Windows 8.1 machine?

Thanks,
ShƩba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

The problem has been resolved. I did not need to re-install Office/Word. There is no Virtual machine on my laptop so the answer was to install the Acrobat Pro XI update. The Acrobat supplied with Tech Comm Suite is not compatible with Word 2013.

regards,

ShƩba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was someone else in the thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Okay no worries. I am also looking for an answer to using DUCC with WebHelp Pro. In your website you mention that DUCC can only be used for WebHelp.

I have spoken to Neil Perlin who is also helping me in this area. With RH11 is there a work around for using the DUCC with a WEBHELP Pro output?

We love the DUCC feature but we also collect monthly stats from RH Server 9 and we don't want to lose that ability.

Any light you can shed on this will be much appreciated. Thanks.

regards,

ShƩba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ShƩba

Because Peter is counting sheep at this moment, I thought I'd jump in to say that unfortunately WebHelp Pro and RoboHelp Server do not support DUCC. It's high on the wish list and hopefully we will see this in a future release.

john

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. It is indeed really unfortunate because we want to use the DUCC feature.

Currently I am having to make do WITHOUT my RH Server 9 reports because one of the scripts that we use (Glossary Tool Tip) does not work with WebHelp Pro.

We love the Tool Tip but at the cost of losing out on the RH Server reports.

Maybe I should look into some other stats software and ditch RH Server 9 becuase even if the script problem is resolved, the DUCC won't work. šŸ˜ž

regards,
ShƩba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ShƩba and John

WRT the "Script" used, to my knowledge it's simply a script that you run in the editing environment to make the conversion. Are you saying that after running that the tooltips don't work once uploaded to the server environment? Or are you saying that because the primary layout is WebHelp Pro, the script won't run?

My thought is that if it's the latter, you might accomplish your goal by temporarily configuring WebHelp as the primary layout, run the script, then configure back to WebHelp Pro.

Then again, I'm not well versed in the "Pro" side of things, so I may be like a dog barking up the wrong tree!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your input.

What happens is that I run the script (with the output selected as WebHelp Pro) it fails. So then I run the script as Web Help and it works. Then I 'copy' the WebHelp output to the RH Server 9 environment because

it will not let me 'publish' directly to the RH Server. So the Tool Tip works but then I lose the benefits of obtaining reports from RH Server 9 because the project is not able to load into the RH Server 9 admin console.

If I generate the output directly without the script as a WebHelp Pro , I can see the project loaded into the RH Server admin console and then I can obtain the reports. In this case though the tool tip does not show up. Glossary terms expand out instead.

regards

ShƩba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ShƩba and Rick.

At first I thought maybe the script doesn't support WebHelp Pro for some reason. However, I see it listed as an SSL choice in the Script Code (line 278). I'm going to query Adobe engineering to see if they can double-check the script. BTW, ShƩba, unfortunately you cannot "copy/paste" the WebHelp output code to the Rh Server environment. Unlike traditional WebHelp, the Pro version must be "published" from your Rh client app. It contains some necessary code to work with the server application.

Hopefully, engineering can offer some suggestions.

Thanks

John

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ShƩba, what you wrote sounds like you feel you have to leave WebHelp selected as the primary layout after you run the script. All the script should be doing is massaging the code a bit.

Have you tried resetting back to WebHelp Pro after you run the script? If you did that, you should then have what you want and be able to generate and publish to the Server.

John. agree or disagree here?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John and Rick,

Thank you so much for your replies. I have run the script with WebHelp Pro output but I get an error. John is right, I can't copy the output it has to be 'published' to the RH Server. For that, the script can't be run which

means the Glossary Term then appears as a expand out text.

John - thanks for looking into this with the Adobe engineering team. I shall eagerly await their response.

Once again gentlemen, thanks for your help on this. Much appreciated.

regards,
ShƩba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...just got confirmation that engineering is looking into it. I'm sure they will get back to us reasonably soon.

Thanks

john

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John and Rick,

A quick update, I managed to run the script and publish directly to RH Server 9. However, now the search function does not work. I have contacted tech support and they are looking into the matter.

So basically I run the script and select WebHelp Pro output as the primary layout. I then select 'Tool Tip' and once it is published I can now finally see the project in RH Server, I view the project and then I enter a search term

and it comes back with an error. So the reports are not going to work since all the terms entered return no results.

Interesting turn of events. I believe Adobe were aware of some search defects in RH Server 9 but I am waiting for confirmation on this.

regards,
ShƩba

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2015 Feb 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please see whether this solution works.

Re: Cannot generate PDF with RH10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp