13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 11:31 AM by A.T. Romano

My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer

MGW of Boulder

How do I prevent this from happening.

Premiere Elements 11, MS Windows 7

I am working with 8 mm movies converted to HD (1920x1080) at 15 fps.  As I proceed along the timeline with my various editing tasks, I notice that the image is more and more zoomed in and the upper and lower edges are getting pushed out of the view.  Eventually the right and left edges get pushed out of the view.

What am I doing to cause this slow zoom in on the image and how can I prevent it from happening?

I have:  done some pan and zoom on various clips, imported some still images, and made exposure adjustments on some of the clips.

• 1. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

What images did you pan and zoom and how - both stills and videos or just stills? Can the problem be directed to either stills OR videos? Or are both affected by the problem?

If you run the unedited Timeline content, do you see these problems?

What are the properties of your source media? And, what project preset did you or the project set to match the properties of the source media? If you are not sure, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and ther readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields appear to be grayed out.

It is my impression that 8 mm movies are 4:3 720 x 480 or the PAL counterpart.  How and why did you convert them to 1920 x 1080 16:9 at 15 frames per second?

Let us start here and then decide what next?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
            MGW of Boulder Level 1

I did pan and zoom of both stills and videos.  The problem shows up for videos.  However, I do not have any stills (yet) very far down the timeline.

I did pan and zoom via Menu Bar, Tools, Pan and Zoom.

Yep, 8 mm is 4:3.  That is what my images first show up as when imported.  Apparently over editing steps, the images down the timeline get pushed to a higher and higher zoom rate pushing the top and bottom out of the frame and eventually the right and left out of the frame.

The conversion from my 8 mm film was done by a “service” for me. I went to HD to give me flexibility for freeze frame extract of single frames.  The 15 fps is a close match to the original media speed (16 fps) and works well with the 29 fps of Premiere Elements.

The source media is AVI:

Frame Width      1920

Frame Height     1080

Frame Rate         29 frames/second

In 8 mm image does not occupy the entire frame since it has a 4:3 aspect ratio

The Project Settings are:

Editing Mode                     HD 1080i

Timebase                            29.97 frames/second

Frame Size                          1920 vertical by 1080 horizontal

Pixel Aspect Ratio            square pixel (1.0)

Timeline content does not have the problem before any editing is done.  However, as I do editing early in the timeline, unedited content down the timeline has the problem. 

It’s possible that inserting content into the timeline results in the problem.  I have inserted things and also slowed down the speed (via Time Stretch) of some video segments.

• 3. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
              MGW of Boulder Level 1

I did some more experimenting.

I had assume Pan and Zoom only impacted the current segment.  However, I’m not sure that is the case.  My use of Pan and Zoom may be what caused my problem.   It’s impact seems to be impossible to recover from.

• 4. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

Although your report suggests that your problems are related to your edits rather than a source media issue, I have my concerns on the source media and project preset side of things as well as you working with the Pan and Zoom Tool for applying pan and zoom effects to video.

The easiest to work through is to make sure that you are using the appropriate method for getting the best possible pan and zoom effects. In that regard, please review the contents of the following and especially the comments in it with regard to pans and zoom in a video clip with the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Pan and zoom to create video-like effect

After evaluating your pan and zoom effects, it may find it to your advantage to use keyframe the Motion Panel expanded Scale propertiy for zoom and the Motion Panel expanded Position property for pan.

Then there are the matters of what your source media are (what you are actually importing into the project) and how you are setting up your Premiere Elements project settings to match the properties of the source media.

We know that your source is 4:3 and you say that you are working with 1920 x 1080 as an avi file. How did you get from the 4:3 file to the 1920 x 1080 .avi file? And, what is the compression that you are using with that .avi file extension? When you are in your opened project and look under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General what do you see in the Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio fields?

Let us get in sync with the above details and then we will try to decide what needs to be done.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

I took too long preparing my post 4. I did not see your post 3 until I posted my post 4.

Please review the situation. I will be watching for your follow up. We probably want to proceed with making sure of the project set up and then doing the pan and zoom effects with keyframing the Scale and Position properties of the Motion Panel expanded and eluded to in the prior post.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                    MGW of Boulder Level 1

However, the first question that must be answered. 

Can the impacts of my previous Pan and Zoom work on previous segments be eliminated?

Can I find all of the Pan and Zoom actions and delete them?

It looks like effect of one of my previous Pan and Zooms is “leaking” into subsequent sequences and causing a “slow zoom” that builds up over time and blows part of my image out of the view.

I need to know if I need to “in effect” I must start my project over or if I can recover.

Only then, can I start to do the Pan and Zoom Properly.

• 7. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

If you seek recovery of you original video to which you have applied pan and zoom effects with the program's Pan and Zoom Tool, let us see if the following works.

1. Given your panned and zoomed video on the Expert workspace Timeline.

2. Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom to open it again.

3. Do the following for each of the "frames" that was added in generating the effect.

a. Click on the frame in the bin below the Pan and Zoom workspace Window to highlight the frame in the Window.

b. Look to the top right corner of the highlighted frame in the Window to find X for closed of that frame.

c. When you have closed each of the frames in the bin, click Done.

d. If all goes well, your video should be back to its original non pan and zoom state in the Expert workspace.

FrameRemoval.jpg

I have not found a Reset for this operation, so this is what should work for you.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...If you need a clearer view of the screenshot, please click on the screenshot to bring up the clearer view.

• 8. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

Sorry for the oversight in post 7. You could go through those frame deletions one by one, but there staring at me all the time was the "Clear All Frames" at the top right of the Pan and Zoom workspace.

Clear.JPG

We will be watching for the outcome.

ATR

• 9. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                          MGW of Boulder Level 1

Deleting and Clearing Focus Frames seems to improve my situation.  However, there appear to be some of their ghosts that remain.  It looks like I may need to delete part of my project and start over.

• 10. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

I am surprised that you are seeing ghosting in the frames cleared video back in the Expert workspace.

Any chance that you have fragments or other items on that Timeline that might be interferring from other tracks?

What happens if you do a Replace Footage on the thumbnail of the file in Project Assets.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Replace footage

You probably have decided already, but do the mini test run on your pan and zoom before getting into the grand project. The Pan and Zoom Tool is not that easy to use for the pan and zoom effect when a video file is the source. Keyframing Motion Scale and Motion Position may be use answer. But, let us see.

ATR

• 11. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                              MGW of Boulder Level 1

I am trying to avoid:

“What happens if you do a Replace Footage on the thumbnail of the file in Project Assets.”

Yes, some titles may carry the Pan and Zoom instructions.  I found that in one instance.

• 12. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                                MGW of Boulder Level 1

Well I recovered.  My images are all now all within the view.  The impacts of my poorly done Pan and Zoom appear to be gone.

I had to delete many segments and replace them.  I fear some of the Pan and Zoom residuals are still lurking in the project to bite me later.

At a later date, I will learn how to do Pan and Zoom more properly.

• 13. Re: My Frame Is Drifting (zoom in) And Blowing Edges Off The Viewer
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

I just went to reply to your latest message (post 12), when up popped a reply to you that never got sent. Strange. The after the fact message was

MGW

I was thinking in terms of replacing the copy of the file that is already in Project Assets with another copy from the hard drive save location of the original file. The expectation might be that a new file might not have the ghosts but yet would retain any edits existing for the Timeline file at the time of Replace Footage.

Regarding your message 12, great news that you have recovered from issues related to some panning and zooming with the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool. Good job.

When you are ready, you are just a post away for asking for further details on panning and zooming with the Pan and Zoom Tool and/or using Keyframing of the Motion Scale Motion Postion properties.

Best wishes.

ATR