• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't start RoboHelp X5

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2007 Jun 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with the RH X5 for a long time but a couple of days ago when starting a project, I got a Windows installer window instead. It was trying to install something for about an hour but then said: can't connect to the server. Whar server? whar was it trying to install? I tried to reinstall the product several times but the result is always the same - installer window hanging:(
Any idea what can help? Would really appreciate your help

Elena

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a hunch. Do you have the "Automatically check for updates" option set and you are not using the latest patch build 5.0.2 Build 801? In this case RH is trying to download the latest build but fails as RH still tries to access the Macromedia website. Turn this option off and manually download the said patch from the Adobe website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I even can't open it to disable this option. When I click the RH icon to launch the tool, I have this installer window .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you are not using RH across a server or network? Have you looked at your task manager to see if that gives some clue as to what is going on? You could try uninstalling and reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, I'm not using it across a server or network.
I reinstalled it several times already with no success. I tried to install an earlier X3 version and launched it successfully but then installed X5 and again saw that Windows Installer window:(
The task manager doesn't say much to me either:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if the uninstall left some registry entries behind? Try following this link for details on ensuring no trace of RH is left after an uninstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2007 Jun 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cleaned up the registry following all the instructions but unfortunately it didn't help:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Elena -

Something is borked so time to try a work around.

What may be happening is this...

Your installation of RH X5 probably has some default settings regarding "Automatically check for updates" (under Tools > Options, General tab). If you are running RH5 Office, this setting is in TWO places, not one. You need to launch each executable (not at the same time) and deselect the update option in each.

To find your program installation path, right click on your launch icon then click on "Properties". The path is in the "Target" box.

I believe the default path is under "Program Files" but I'm not certain as I install to the path I want, not what Macromedia thought was best for me. Anyway, use Windows Explorer to find the RoboHelp installation directory. But first make sure you set Windows Explorer to see what we need to see - forget the Microsoft default settings as they don't know what is best for you.

> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the installed RoboHelp directory.
> On the Menu Bar, click "Tools > Folder Options".
> In the Folder Options window click the "View" tab.
> Under "Files and Folders > Hidden files and folders" click the"Show hidden files and folders" radio button.
> Deselect (no check mark) the three boxes that follow (Hide extensions..., Hide protected..., and Launch folder...).
> Click the "Apply" button.
> Click the "Apply to All Folders" button.
> Click the "OK" button.
> Click the "OK" button.

In the RoboHelp parent (installation) directory you will see two subdirectories: RoboHELP and RoboHTML.

> Click on the RoboHELP subdirectory.
> Scroll down and find "RoboHelp.exe".
> Double-click on "RoboHelp.exe" to launch RoboHelp for Word.
> A dialog window opens to create or open a project; click the "Cancel" button.
> On the Menu Bar click "Tools > Options..."
> In the Options window, General tab, deselect (uncheck) "Automatically check for updates".
> Click the "OK" button.
> Close RoboHelp Explorer.

Now for the second version...

> Click on the RoboHTML subdirectory.
> Scroll down and find "RoboHTML.exe".
> Double-click on "RoboHTML.exe" to launch RoboHelp HTML.
> A dialog window opens to create or open a project; click the "Cancel" button.
> On the Menu Bar click "Tools > Options..."
> In the Options window, General tab, deselect (uncheck) "Automatically check for updates".
> Optional: select (check) "Use Offline Help" to keep the app from trying to access Macromedia Help via the Internet.
> Click the "OK" button.
> Close RoboHelp HTML.

Close Windows Explorer (don't forget to re-set the folder views if you think Microsoft knows what is best for you).

Now try to launch your project as you normally do.

Let us know if that fixed the problem.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

In case everything suggested thus far fails, it's quite possible that something has clobbered something else on your system. In this case, you might try this link.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you All for the help and advice. Really hope that finally I'll make it work.
Regarding the Windows Installer updates, unfortunately it didn't help either. I upgraded to version 3.1, cleaned up all temp directories, tried several methods proposed on msn page - but still have this never-ending windows installer.
When I installing the RH, none of the Word versions it proposes to choose is applicable to me (XP, 2003, and 97). I have 2003. I use the default XP selection and say Ok to install the product whereas a proper version of Word is not installed. Probably this windows installer is trying to install Word XP on my machine? Though, when installing RH X3 version I have the same situation with Word and RH is installed and launched with no problem. I'm lost:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to deselect thi soption for RoboHelp.exe but can't do this for RoboHTML.exe. When I launch it, I have this Installer Window:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"none of the Word versions it proposes to choose is applicable to me (XP, 2003, and 97). I have 2003." - Do you mean 2007?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean that I have Microsoft Word 2003.
But RH has only the following options:
- Microsoft Word XP
- Microsoft Word 2000
- Microsoft Word 97

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a post about an installation problem it would have helped to mention that during installation you were selecting an "invalid" option.

See the Installation topic on my site. Perhaps that will help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. But the same situation for x3 version worked Ok...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: elena_f
You are right. But the same situation for x3 version worked Ok...

Hello Elena -

The installer for X3 wasn't as picky as for X5 (I despise the newer Microsoft installer for many reasons and now you have experienced just one of them).

You could try uninstalling your Word 2003 and install Word 97 or 2000, then uninstall RH and reinstall RH (and updates), then upgrade your Word to Word 2003.

Note that we use X5 and I installed it with Word 2000 then upgraded to Word 2003 with no problems, at least not with RoboHelp HTML (we do not use Word file import functions).

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but the problem is that Word 2003 came out after X5 was released. Peter's site says this and how to get around the problem. With RHX3 Word 2003 was not around so you wouldn't have had the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would never advise installing Word after RoboHelp if you plan to import from Word or use printed documentation. What Linux Rules has suggested is OK for the purposes of installing RoboHelp but not if you use Word with RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge
I would never advise installing Word after RoboHelp if you plan to import from Word or use printed documentation. What Linux Rules has suggested is OK for the purposes of installing RoboHelp but not if you use Word with RoboHelp.

Hello Peter -

True, one should not install Word after RH but we found an upgrade to Word (Office), as opposed to a fresh install of Word, does work for RH.

As I said, we do not use Word with RH, only that Word is required to install RH.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all a bit of a grey area. Adobe advise against it and so many time it causes problems. I've seen patches cause a problem that an uninstall and reinstall fixes.

Against that you've ignored one of the "rules" and it works fine. One day I sat down with a PC and broke nearly every one of the "rules". It all worked absolutely fine!

Also it's not true that Word is needed. It will install without a version of Word on the PC but not with an incorrect one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter -

I had forgotten that Word wasn't required if one doesn't author in Word...it was too long ago that I installed this version of RH. Thanks for the clearification.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,
the section on Word 2003 in yur article is mainly addressed to the audience who wants to use Word with RH and can't do that for some reasons. My situation is bit different. I just can't launch the product (specifically, RoboHTML). I already tried to install SP2 but it didn't help and that stubborn windows installer pops up anyway:(
I wasn't sure that Word was the problem since initially when i was installing x5 with Word 2003, it got installed with no problem. But now I'm ready to use any option. So, probably I should try to follow Linux Rules advice and install Word 2000...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2007 Jun 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not convinced this is a RH issue rather than some glitch with your PC to do with the installer. I believe that can happen if your profile has become corrupted or changed. Might be worth checking with IT.

However given it could be anything here's what I would do.

1] Uninstall RH as per the link Colum gave you. It's also in the topic on my site.

2] Install Word 2000.

3] Install RH.

4] Check RH works.

Dependent on what you need to do with RH, decide if you want to go for Word 2003. If you do:

5] Install Word 2003.

6] Run RH. In theory it should not work but I have seen it work OK.

7] If it does not work, then uninstall RH and reinstall it including the patches.

8] Check RH works.

Please post back how it goes. It's like watching a serial and we now want to know "who dunnit?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I'll try:) Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guessing you are UK based?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp