• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG Converter Not Recognizing .CR2 Files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2010 Dec 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new Canon EOS 5D Mark II and CS3, so I cannot view the CR2 files from the 5D in Bridge in their native format.  I read all the posts and upgraded to ACR 4.6, then upgraded the camera profiles to those in the ACR 5.2 package (the one that includes the 5D Mark II).

I then read that I need the DNG Converter to generate DNG files from the CR2 files, so I have installed DNG 6.3.

Problem now is that the DNG Converter will not recognize any CR2 files on my machine, neither the new 5D Mark II CR2 files of my old Rebel CR2 files.  When I navigate to a folder containing CR2 files with DNG it says "No images have been selected" in the "Select images to convert" section of the GUI.

I have no idea what to do, I need to get the DNG Converter working to view the files from my new camera in Bridge.  Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 28, 2010 Dec 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are using version 6.3 of the DNG Converter, not an earlier one.  It's not tied at all to your version of ACR.

If you happen to be on a Mac, you should note that the DNG Converter does not work on individual files but on folders if you navigate from within the Converter itself.

Alternatively, you can drop the icon of the files onto the DNG Converter application icon in the Dock.

Knowing more about your setup would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows Vista and yes I do have the latest version (6.3) of DNG Converter.

When I select a folder containing CR2 files in step one of the DNG Converter the "Convert" button at the bottom of the DNG Converter GUI remains greyed-out.  Even though I know the folder contains valid CR2 files the "Convert" button will not become active, regardless of which folder I choose.

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "alternatively, you can drop the icon of the files onto the DNG Converter application icon in the dock"?  I'd like to try this but not sure what you mean by "in the dock"...

Thanks for your response, hopefully we can get this sorted out !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pink Lemon wrote:

…Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "alternatively, you can drop the icon of the files onto the DNG Converter application icon in the dock"?  I'd like to try this but not sure what you mean by "in the dock"…

Your ignorance is justified, as Windows doesn't have a Dock.    It's a Macintosh feature.

In Windows I guess you'd achieve the same by dragging and dropping the icon(s) of the DNG file(s) onto the application icon or a shortcut thereof that you place in a convenient place.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So still stuck...  Is there anyone from Adobe that can explain or hazard a guess as to why my DNG Converter will not convert any CR2 files?  If it is a single executable file as advertised, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work...  Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 30, 2010 Dec 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, does your directory have any unusual characters (e.g., unusual punctuation)? Or are you possibly selecting a path on a network drive? I am wondering if these could be preventing DNG Converter from recognizing your selected directory/path properly.

Once you have selected the path, the name of the path should appear to the immediate right of the "Select Folder..." button in Step 1. Only then will the "Convert" button at the bottom become active.

If the text to the immediate right of the "Select Folder..." button continues to read "No images have been selected", then either there are no recognized images in the selected folder, or there is something wrong with the folder (or entire path) itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2010 Dec 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MadManChan,

Thanks very much, that's very helpful...  I can get images converting now but only if the CR2 files are located in C:\ and only if the location to save the files is also C:\.  If I choose any other folder as the source or destination folder the 'convert' button stays greyed out.  I even tried creating a folder C:\DNG\ (even Windows 3.1 wouldn't have had a problem with that !) and it still won't work.  If I try to select C:\DNG\ (or any other folder on C:\) the 'No images have been selected' text remains and the convert button stays greyed out.

So the short of it is that I can now convert and view the DNG files in Bridge CS3.  But I'd really like to figure out the DNG Converter quirks so I don't have to operate in C:\ and thus run the DNG Converter as administrator every time I use it.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2011 Jan 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pink Lemon,

I found this thread when I experienced "about" the same problem. If I click the <Select Folder>, and browse to a folder that contains .CR2 files from my Canon EOS-60D, the DNG Converter 6.3 proudly declares, "No items match your search".

Then, I tried to drag a .CR2 file from Windows Exploder onto the DNG Converter shortcut-icon on my desktop, and it worked! I can also drag multiple selected files from within a directory, or a complete directory there, and it works. (I can NOT drag files onto the DNG Conv itself, just onto the shortcut icon)

I have Win7/32 and a funny thing is,that when I tested DNG Conv 6.3 on my old PC which runs Win XP/SP3, the <Select Folder> function worked without a hitch. I could even browse the very same CR2 folders on my Win 7 PC, over Wi-Fi, and it worked OK on XP.

So, the problem with Adobe's DNG Converter 6.3 (and new Canon .CR2's) seems to be OS dependent. It looks like it doesn't work correctly on Vista or Win 7.
Check if the drag system works OK on Vista, as on Win 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2011 Jan 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this actually worked for me too (I have Vista on my machine).  Still frustrating that the converter doesn't work as designed, but now at least I don't have to work in C:\ all the time and run DNG Converter as an administrator.

If anyone from Adobe is reading this can you please fix the OS-dependencies in the next release?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I had exactly the same problem with version 6.4. I've spent all morning trying to solve it, then found your post, and thankfully dragging to the desktop icon worked (I'm running Windows 7).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2011 Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad I have found this thread, I have wasted hours in the last few evenings trying to sort out this problem.

I have been using DNG converter 5.4 for two years to convert Canon G10 raw files without any problem. I switched to version 6.4 to convert Panasonic G2 raw files and have had little sucess. It worked once on the folder I set up for my first panasonic shoot. I have had no sucess for subsequent shoots in other folders. When I open the converter it has that original folder selected and I can make further conversions on the raw files in that folder but it cannot find raw files in any other folder. Not for the thousands of G10 files which I have converted or even the files in my first G2 folder if I move away from it and come back to it.

I am using Vista. I have notice something else that is unusual, Vista does not see the converter as a programme, it cannot uninstal it in the control panel.

Granville

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no uninstall routine for the DNG converter.  There are no extra files or registry entries.  If you want to get rid of the DNG converter, simply delete it.  It is not something strange with Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I have deleted v 6.4 and gone back to v 5.4 which will convert the Canon G10 raw files, but not the Panasonic G2 files. V 5.4 is also not visible in contol panel so I must have deleted it rather than uninstalled it.

Granville

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that info, i couldnt get adobe dng converter to recognise any picture file in any folder anywhere on my computer but when i took your advise and dragged a CR2 file ont the desktop shrtcut to DNG converter it worked fine!!!!

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG Converter only shows FOLDERS when you’re selecting the Source Folder and to select the source folder you should be single-clicking on it to select it, rather than double-clicking on it to open it and show the contents because nothing will show unless the contents are more folders but then you’ve gone too far most likely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 6.3 and 6.4 do not regonise raw files in folder that version 5.4 does and the convert button remains geyed out. I have removed version 6.4 and installed 5.4. it finds files for conversion where 6.4 does not, hovever it is unable to convert the Panasonic G2 file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2015 Jan 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont get this at all. when i try to use the converter its as if there are no files at all there. I cant even see not one???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2011 Sep 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue here.  Downloaded and used the 6.2 version back in July without a hitch for converting 60D CR2 files.  Now after installing the latest release, the CONVERT box is grayed out.  Will reinstall the 6.2 version and see what happens.  Looks like a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definately a bug.  6.2 works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, I had tried 6.3 but not  6.2. It does the files from my new camera and works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried V6.4.0.139 and it would not recognize .CR2 files.  I found V6.2 and installed it instead and it does work.  Definitely something wrong in 6.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with Canon 5D3, CS6, ACR 7.1, and the last version of DNG.

Doesn't see my CR2 files !

Adobe doesnt' see the problem lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For you Vista users this worked for me:

Move the adobe converter program (the .exe) into the folder of your CR2 files and then run it.

I tried several versions of the conversion program and like many posts above the options were greyed out or the CR2 files were not recognized but this worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response. Your solution didn't work.

The solution I found for DNG converter 8.3 : I have installed a "SendTo" DNG converter in Windows Explorer.

Adobe should try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd add my twopence worth here as it's close to my heart and may help.

When I upgraded from a 5D to 5Dii, the DNG was my only option at the time. Slow, not very intuitive to good workflows, but it worked.

I also used a Lumix G10 which also used DNG to do the conversions, all OK.

But upgrading to a G3, now came the grief, and still no DNG upgrade to date.

With the G3 came a free copy of Lightroom 3.2 which quickly upgraded to 3.4, OK now for CR2 files but still won't read G3 RAWs.

Then I found this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3937512#3937512

This gives a link to Lightroom and CameraRaw that sees G3 RAWs which will help some of people.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2011/08/lightroom-3-5-and-camera-raw-6-5-available-on-adobe-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines