• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When editing text, can you follow links to the destination topic?

Jun 28, 2007 Jun 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting the conversion of a large WinHelp project to HTMLHelp, so sorry for the newb question.
When using the editor, is there a quick way to follow a hyperlink. so you can edit the text in that topic quickly? I'm used to this functionality in FrameMaker and several HTML editors, but the keys I'm used to using for this aren't mapped for this functionality in RoboHelp and I can't find mention of it in the help file, so I'm not sure if I can do it. (I hope I can.)

Thanks for the help,
- Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom

Hmmm, there used to be a registry hack you could make that would allow it. But it might depend on your RoboHelp HTML version. I'm not sure the hack will work if you are using 6. Might be worth a try.

Which version are you using?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the version is not compatible with Rick's solution, the next nearest thing is to right click in the topic with the hyperlink and select Show LInks. There you will see the target topic and you can again right click and select Edit.

Not as quick as you want but just two steps.

Hopefully Rick's registry change (hack? tut tut) will work for you.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I'm on X5.0.2

Peter, I didn't even think of that. It's a great backup plan if the hack doesn't work. You're right, I'd rather skip the extra click if I can, but it's better than using the index or topic list.

I appreciate both replies. Thanks guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Okay, give this a try.

Close RoboHelp HTML
Open your Registry Editor (all standard registry editing disclaimers apply here)
Locate the following section:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blue Sky Software\RoboEditor\Defaults
Within this section should be the following key:
AllowNavigationWhenControlKeyIsDown
Double-click the key and change the value from False to True
Close the registry editor and restart RoboHelp.

Let us know how this works for you... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that rocks. It's going to completely change my editing experience.
Thanks so much for that tip.

Dang, now I have to investigate all those other default settings in the registry.
- Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I wouldn't waste too much time on it. There are lots of keys there that were apparently planned for the future or never worked out. Thus they don't really do anything if you change the values.

Go figure... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something to note if others try this.

You need to save changes in your current topic before jumping to another, otherwise RoboEditor gets a bit confused, opens a new window, and hangs. No biggie tho.. you can close the new RoboEditor window thats hanging, save the topic, and then Ctrl+click away.

HTH,
- Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 16, 2007 Aug 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy,

I just wanted to follow up on this work-around.

The registry hack isn't perfect (at least in RHv5). When you follow a link to the next topic, the Topic Properties dialog shows some properties (like file name and index keywords) from the previous topic.

This was enough to scare me away from this work-around when editing. It still is useful to me for reviewing content though.

FYI,
- Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 05, 2007 Dec 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

The registry hack isn't perfect (at least in RHv5). When you follow a link to the next topic, the Topic Properties dialog shows some properties (like file name and index keywords) from the previous topic.

This was enough to scare me away from this work-around when editing. It still is useful to me for reviewing content though.

I tried this in RH7 and got the same results. Guess I'll wait for an official enhancement...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried ticking the Save without Prompt option. Not something I like but it might suit you.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that option is marked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp