• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the HTML5 output from Captivate 8 compatible with Firefox?

New Here ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The HTML5 output from Captivate 7 did not work in the Firefox browser.

Has this been solved with the release of Captivate 8?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of FireFox are you testing it on?

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox v. 28.0

From the forums it seems that the Firefox version does not matter.

Firefox is not supported in the Captivate 7 HTML5 output at all.

I want to know whether this issue has been addressed with the new release of Captivate 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of the error message:

Dropbox - Screenshot 2014-05-26 16.04.15.png

Just upgraded Firefox to v. 29.0.1 - same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard some features not working in HTML5 output, but it is surprising that v.24+ is not supporting it. Does non-Captivate HTML5 output work?

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know which features work and which one does not.

I just get the error-message you see in the screenshot.

I just created a small test-project in the trial version of Captivate 8 containing only one slide with a single text-object and a button with a connected sound.

I get the same error message - and when I click "OK" in the error message I can click the button and the sound plays.

Dropbox - Screenshot 2014-05-26 16.42.40.png

So when Captivate detects Firefox it automatically shows the error message. Even though the project is playable.

In my real project though - the first slide does not show up beneath the error message (I do hear the welcome-message that is the start of the program!).

But it is impossible to go on from there and test what works and what doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Same problem/same box appear...in Firefox 29. I'm using CP8 with "responsive" project.

is it a bug?

Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just made a quick test with the Captivate 8 Trial.

I still get the error message in Firefox when I open the HTML5-output in Firefox.

Any suggestions for workarounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the problem still exists regardless of the project type. There are some ways to hide the message, one way is given here Re: Height and Width for Mobile Phones,  but it won't alleviate any potential problems you may run into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 12, 2014 Jul 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same error in both C7 and C8 though the project I am using (very simple) works with the exception of the title not displaying.

You would think that FireFox would work when C8 is aimed at mobile delivery (and it does not work on Windows Phone either).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is directly related to Mozilla not wanting to spend any money on licensing for specific things such as mp3 decoding. Unless Mozilla changes that, Captivate files won't ever work properly with HTML5 in Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My html5 activities work fine on Firefox. However, when the activity loads, the following message pops up leading users to believe that the activity will not work.

Adobe Captivate

This browser does not support some of the content in the file you are trying to view. Use one of the following browsers:

• Internet Explorer 9 or later
  • Safari 5.1 or later
  • Google Chrome 17 or later

I believe that the error message comes from Captivate rather than the browser.  Since my activities work fine on Firefox, is there a way to stop this message from popping up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the message is located in the index.htm file created by Captivate.

With a bit of editing/javascript, you can defeat it. However, like was said above, Firefox may not play the content correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>Yes - the message is located in the index.htm file created by Captivate.

No, this message is located in the CPM.js file, strictly speaking. You can get rid of it by adding the line "SuppressIncompatibleBrowserMessage = 1" (without quotes) to the AdobeCaptivate.ini file that can be found in the installation directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed you suggestion, but perhaps not correctly, since I am still getting the popup message in Firefox.  Here is what my Adobe Captivate.ini file looks like now.  I added the line to the end.  Should it have gone somewhere else? 

In the meantime, I tried changing the cpm.js message to something that won't turn away users. This works and my message appears, but I would prefer no message at all, as well as a fix that will apply to all future games rather than a change I have to make to the cpm.js file each time I make a game.  If I need to do it this way, is there a way to change the cpm.js file so that no message appears?  Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

AdobeCaptivate.ini file content

VistaWin7StartupMessage = 1

LowDiskSpaceMessage = 1

NeedJQueryUI = 0

UseGestures = 1

SystemAudioDriver =Soundflower (2ch)

EquationEditorPathWin =\MathMagic for Captivate\MathMagic for Captivate.exe

EquationEditorPathMac =/Applications/MathMagic for Captivate.app

UserPathForLayoutsAndInteractions = ""

[TRUE STRINGS]

USE_INTELLIGENCE = 1

STRINGS = True;Correct;Right;Yes;T;Y;Wahr;Verdadero;Vrai;Vero;â—‹;ì°¸;Verdadeiro

SuppressIncompatibleBrowserMessage = 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try readding this on line 2 or 3, not the last one. To be 100% sure that it applies, reboot the computer afterwards.

The solution is from https://forums.adobe.com/message/5685567 and is confirmed to work in our team. Hope it works for you as well 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One issue i've seen and is complete deal breaker is that if you have a slide with a smart shape as a buttons - it causes the whole thing to get stuck. You only get a white screen. I've seen most other things work ok in FF including audio and video in various formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fix for Captivate 8 or that it's now possible/available via Captivate 9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CP7 patch for smartshape buttons is available here.

https://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/captivate-7-patch.html

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My initial testing (only minor testing) has found that CP9 is working in the latest version of Mozilla. Both Smart shape buttons and Drop lists are working as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have 15 courses running on IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera, and they were published using Cp8. The only thing is that we have smart shapes in our customized playbar, and hence they're not working right in Firefox. The patch mentioned is to be applied on Cp7, so it wouldn't really for in Cp8. Bottom line: do you have any more data that suggests that Cp9 is compatible with Firefox (something like version 34 and up)? or any alternatives to make it run?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CP9 is compatible with Firefox 38 and up. You can see a full list of compatible browsers and platforms here, System requirements | Captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just confirming, my only solution would be to update my Cp and republish....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct. CP8 and 7 will never have full HTML5 compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources