• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH6 User-defined Variables not operating

New Here ,
May 07, 2007 May 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed RH6 as an upgrade. I right-click the User-defined Variables table in the Project Manager, and then click New Variable. Not a thing happens. I insert a cursor onto a page, on the Insert menu, I click User-defined Variable. Since I don't have any yet, I click New. Nothing happens. It does not allow me to create one. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2007 May 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi US,

Are you experiencing any issues with other RH6 specific features?
For example, can you apply conditional tags to the TOC?

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am able to apply conditional build tags to the TOC. And yes, RH6 was installed by me on my machine.

If I use the Insert menu, the 'Fields and Variables' window appears. I can add and delete dates and times, but it won't allow me to add a new variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2007 May 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK US, let try and get this sorted.
So when you open up RH6. You click on Insert - User Defined Variable. Then you highlight the Variable option in the Value section of the dialog? Then you click on the New button?

Are you saying that absolutely nothing happens when you do this. What should happen in the New Variable dialog should appear?

If it does not, my guess is that it is an install issue and you need to reinstall RH from scratch with FULL Admin Rights. Otherwise, please contact support directly who should be able to run through this with you. It is not an error I've seen before or seen reported.

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must work your project on your local machine, and RH must have been installed on that machine by you with administrative rights.

Hmmmm??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2007 May 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled, and then reinstalled. Same problem. How does one install with full admin rights? Not sure what that means since there didn't seem to be an option for such a thing during the install process. I'm the admin of my workstation (and was logged in as such). Guess I'll have to call. Thanks for your ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 20, 2007 Jun 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just had the same problem with not being able to create a user defined variable.

After some poking around, I discovered that the rhvariable.apj file wasn't created. (I wonder if it is some funky interaction with RH and VSS source controlled projects - I've encountered a few of those beasts...)

So I created a blank text tile called rhvariable.apj. added it to sourcesafe, checked it out and voila! I can now create and modify variables in my project.

I'd sent a bug report to Adobe before I found this out, so we'll see what they say. (I have four or five projects I can practice on later. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2007 Jun 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amebr

Out of curiosity, if you create a couple of new projects, are they also missing this file?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 01, 2007 Jul 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I created a new project and the rhvariable.apj file is correctly created. When i get a chance, I'll get a copy of one of my projects, remove the source control references and see if it is a problem with upgrading a project or a weird source control thing - I've had a couple of those,

I haven't heard anything from Adobe about the bug report, but I'm not sure if they routinely reply to submitters. It's also possible something went wrong with the submission. I've had a few flaky things happen with my computer and internet recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2007 Jul 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You won't get a reponse to a bug report. I've not known cases of that file not being reported so given your comment about your computer, I would be more inclined to think it is something there and this is, hopefully, a one off thing.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp