• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can get sort by file name not by added order?

Participant ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import, LR for some reasons seems to always default the sort to added order, not filename. Its a real nuisance, anything I can do. thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

This toolbar allows you to change the sort order. To the right of the AZ icon (the sort direction icon) is a drop-down that lets you choose file name order.

The default is not previous import, except when you have just done an import. If you select Folders after that, it stays on folders until you do another import, or until you choose another item from the left-side panel

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have selected "All Photographs" then View->Show Toolbar and select the sort criteria of File Name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj, I do not see show toolbar under view. All I have is show filter bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try View->Show Toolbar ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toggle visibility of tool-bar with the T key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you that came late to the party, like me, use Library mode to sort as mentioned above in LR4.  You can't sort in Develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved me hours of sorting 900+ images, thank you thank you thank you. Have a virtual cupcake!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you stay in "Previous Import" the sort order will always be *added order*.

You can change that only in folders and collections.

"Capture time" is my default, which means the same as file name, depending on your naming scheme.

Cornelia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, found view toolbar, funny, I don't even see the toolbar, what is it. what does it show?  I doubt it's relevant to this conversation...?

Cornelia, thanks. ok, so the default is previous import. Can I get LR to default to Folders?

Ok, so you are like me, if you want capture time as your sory then you have to remember to manually then click the folder name? But still even with the folder name selected LR chooses added order, not what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This toolbar allows you to change the sort order. To the right of the AZ icon (the sort direction icon) is a drop-down that lets you choose file name order.

The default is not previous import, except when you have just done an import. If you select Folders after that, it stays on folders until you do another import, or until you choose another item from the left-side panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ

1), I can already change the sort order with view, don't need toolbar..?

2) LR highlights previous import always, super nuisance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this post is outdated but thanks to dj_paige for the tip about sort order being set by folder. I was getting frustrated that every time I added to my graphics catalogue that it would change the sort order to Capture Date (assuming new data imports to be photographs). It clicked the way you described it and now when I open the catalog it does retain the Sort by Filename - well at least until I add a new folder and then I will have to fix that one. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If someone still has difficulties finding the "Toolbar"- it is not the one at the top, which is the filter bar, but at the bottom, below the image. It only appears in the library view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines