• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion Builder 3 Settings Reset on Restart

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded the ColdFusion Builder 3 trial and am experiencing some odd and very annoying behavior.

I've customized some code editor text font and color settings. I've added an entry to the CF Servers panel for an instance of ColdFusion 10 running inside a VMWare virtual server on my laptop.

When I restart Eclipse, all the code customizations I've made are reverted back to the default install settings and the entry in my CF Servers panel is gone.

I've been an IntelliJ user for well over a year, but in doing much more cfscript-based development the CF Plugin for IntelliJ is proving to be a hindrance so I thought I'd give CFB 3 a try and see if there were any improvements over CFB 2. However, I can't take this kind of behavior. Hopefully someone can give me a setting or someone else has seen this before and can give me an idea of where to start looking.

I have CF Builder installed as a plugin into Eclipse Kepler 64-bit for Mac. I added the CF Builder update site and have updated to CF Builder 3.0.0.290000. I also previously installed as the standalone version with no additional plugins and experienced the same behavior.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

Any particular reason you went the Eclipse plug-in route?  Why not just install CFBuilder as a standalone application?

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually did both and experienced the same behavior. I have always used my own install of Eclipse so that I can better manage what version I'm running. In the past CFB stand-alone didn't allow you to install your own plugins. I don't think that's the case now but old habits die hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

Gotcha.  I run on Windows 7 64-bit, and haven't seen the problem you are having.  Also, I've installed my own plugins into CFBuilder 2 and 3 without issue.  I did try running CFBuilder 2 as a plugin on Eclipse because it was the only way to get a 64-bit setup on Windows (no 64-bit standalone installer), but that is no longer the case with CFBuilder 3 (I used the new 64-bit installer).

I hope Adobe staff can help sort out your issue!

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my co-workers is experiencing the same behavior on Windows 7 with the standalone install. I grabbed the installer from the trial page on Friday of last week. I think he downloaded it the day before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the exact version for following are you using:-

• MAC O.S. and Eclipse for plugin installation
  • MAC O.S. for standalone installation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS X - 10.9.3 for both installs

Eclipse Standard 4.3.2 64-bit for Mac for the plugin installation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check this behavior on Eclipse 3.6.2 Cocoa and Mac OS X v10.6 as below are the tech specification for CB3 on MAC machine:-

Mac OS

• Intel® processor
  • Mac OS X v10.6
  • 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended)
  • 1.5GB of available hard-disk space (2GB recommended)
  • Java Virtual Machine: Oracle JRE 1.6
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Eclipse 3.6.2 Cocoa (32 bit or 64 bit) for plug-in installation

Tech specs | Adobe ColdFusion Builder 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaif...the list of requirements on that page you referenced seems to be outdated and is completely different than the ones that are listed on the download page (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=coldfusion_builder&promoid=FDUMG).

• Mac OS X v10.8 or v10.9
  • Intel® processor , 1 GB of RAM (2 GB recommended) , 2.5 GB of available hard-disk space (3 GB recommended) , DVD-ROM drive
  • Java Virtual Machine: Oracle JRE 1.7
  • Eclipse 4.3.2 (64 bit) for plug-in installation

For reference, the output of running "java -version" on my system is below:

java version "1.7.0_60"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_60-b19)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.60-b09, mixed mode)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even through this system requirement link, i am getting the same page as i mentioned previously..

I would also further check for this link redirection and would update you for same..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaif,

I wonder if maybe you and I are getting different version of the page based on our geographies. The OS X 10.6 specified in your list of requirements is 3 versions back of Mac OS X and would have been current when CFB 2 came out. I've attached a screenshot of the requirements popup that I get here.

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 1.27.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dan,

Yes, i was getting the wrong tech specs for Mac O.S. on one of the machine, looks due to cache, checked on other machine, whereas getting correct tech specs for Mac O.S. as below:-

• Mac OS X v10.8 or v10.9
  • Intel® processor , 1 GB of RAM (2 GB recommended) , 2.5 GB of available hard-disk space (3 GB recommended) , DVD-ROM drive
  • Java Virtual Machine: Oracle JRE 1.7
  • Eclipse 4.3.2 (64 bit) for plug-in installation

Regarding the issue, are you either getting this issue only on any specific machine or also on other machine in your domain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaif....

My Macbook Pro is the only development machine that I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your CFB3 and CF10 on same virtual machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFB3 is installed natively on my Macbook Pro. The CF10 instance I was connecting to is installed in a Windows Server 2012 virtual machine running on VMWare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rarely, we got such random issue when one of them is on Virtual machine while other is on Physical machine.

Can you installed CF 10 on the same physical machine just for testing purpose and observe, if it changes this behavior? Bcoz this can be one of the reason too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more concern, have you also noticed this behavior before applying CFB3 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll get CF10 installed locally this evening to test and let you know what I find.

I did see the behavior both with a fresh install from the download link as well as after updating it with the CF Builder 3.0.0.290000 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

If you have not noticed, you can save your custom settings as a profile.

This solution might just be a workaround to your problem but it's worth noting.

This is what I want you to try:

1. Change settings in CFB as you normally do.

2. Go to 'ColdFusion>profiles' tab in preferences.

3. Selected profile must be 'custom'.

4. Hit 'Create New Profile'

5. Save the profile with some name. Your changes will be saved with this new profile.

6. Restart Builder and see if it started with your settings

7. If not, then go to preferences>ColdFusion>profiles, and note which profile is selected. Report this back to me.

8. If your saved profile is not selected, then select it and apply, see if your changes came back.

Go through all these steps and let me know about your findings.

Thanks,

Milan.

CF Engineering Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Milan...

My apologies for taking so long to get back to this. I just did some testing tonight of your instructions as well as those by Kaif above.

Firstly, I installed ColdFusion 10 locally on my Mac. I added the local server to the CF Servers panel successfully. After restarting Eclipse, the localhost entry remained in the CF Server panel.

Secondly, I followed your instructions to make a new profile and make my font/coloring customizations in it. I restarted Eclipse and my font and color selections were maintained (through 3 restarts). I noted that my newly created profile was selected in Preferences after each restart.

I then added a remote CF 10 server to the CF Servers panel successfully (as noted by the panel telling me that the server was running and being able to launch the CF Admin from within Eclipse). At this point there were 2 entries in my CF Server panel--localhost and the one remote server that lives inside my VM. I restarted Eclipse and when it came back up, only the localhost server remained. I might add that the VM has ColdFusion 10 installed in "multi-instance" mode and that the remote server instance that I added to the CF Servers panel was one of 4 CF instances configured and running inside the VM.

All the while, my font and color customizations have remained the way I set them.

So, it appears as though we're down to just one bug relating to remote server registrations in the CF Servers panel.

I saw that another user was reporting something similar in this thread: ColdFusion Builder 3 RDS and Remove Server settings reset on each restart so apparently it's not just me.

Thanks to you and everyone else for all the ideas and troubleshooting help thus far. At least at this point I think I might be able to use this for day-to-day coding, even though I really want the remote server system to work correctly so I can use the step debugger feature again.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dan,

We will verify remote server behavior on our side and will get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Machanda,

I can verify this behavior as well on my installation.  When I restart CFB, defaultLocal is present in the CF Servers tab but my remote server configuration is gone.

One curious detail: The remote sever's RDS information is still on the RDS screen!  Even though the remote sever is no longer in the CF Servers tab, the remote server is still present on the RDS tab.   I can even add it back to the CF Server using the RDS list!

I'm running CFBuilder Version: 3.0.3.290701 on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Hope this helps solve the problem!

Regards,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, that certainly is not expected behavior. But I would suspect the problem is with CFB saving its settings to the workspace.

So first, can you confirm that the workspace (shown when you launch CFB, or viewable via the File>Switch Workspace menu command) is indeed someplace that you have permission to write to? Since you’d be the one launching CFB, it would seem that the folder would need permissions for your account.

Second, related to that, can you try just using a new workspace? Yes, that will cause loss of all your settings, but it’s a good way to try to see if a problem may go away (which otherwise seemed instead to be a “bug” in CFB. I’ve seen it help for years.) And to be clear, you can always switch back to your original workspace if it doesn’t help, or to review what settings you may want to carry into the new one if you decide to stick with that.

Let us know if that helps.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Charlie,

My workspaces are at the root of my home directory (/Users/dskaggs/) and are owned and writable by the user account I'm logging in as.

I did create a completely new workspace alongside the original workspace yesterday and observed the same issues (using the same install of CFB as a plugin to Eclipse).

I have noticed today that the resetting of the color and formatting changes have not occurred on every Eclipse restart (I've not been able to see a pattern of when they reset vs when they do not) but if I configure a server in the CF Servers panel and restart, it disappears every time.

The new workspace I created had one CF project in it that was not under any kind of source control and was not in any DropBox folder just to rule out some external application overwriting those settings files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s curious, indeed. I’d only next wonder if you may see more in either logs or views (like the progress view and others).

HTH.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation