• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm new to RoboHelp 11. How do I insert an image into my project?

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a simple way to copy or import existing jpeg or gif images used in other applications into the RoboHelp project. I manually copied an image into the RoboHelp Projects folder on my C:\ drive, but when I open the project, I can't see it. From the File drop-down menu there's an Import link, but there's no option to import images. Why isn't this easier or more intuitive?

I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Okay, see if this video helps...

InsertingImages - Magus75's library

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Try clicking the Insert menu and you should see Image as an option. (there are other ways as well)

The thing is, from the dialog that appears you will need to click the folder to browse your operating system and choose the image. Once it has been officially added to your project it will then be available in other dialogs to choose from.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images are only "visible" inside the project once they are referenced by it. For example, if you add an image to a topic. Until then all unreferenced images are only displayed in the Unused Files report available from the Tools > Reports menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After re-reading a bit here it strikes me that you might be able to benefit from some RoboHelp training. So here is some of it.

RoboHelp operates differently than many applications. Sure, you "build web sites" so to speak by linking content together. But unlike other applications, RoboHelp has a database behind it that keeps track of the HTML pages you create as well as images and other assets. So you expected to just see the images when you copied them to the project location. Fair and logical assumption. The problem is that because the images weren't actually yet referenced by any HTML page, RoboHelp doesn't know about them. By inserting them as I described earlier, you are also adding the reference to RoboHelp's project database so the project is now aware of them.

Hope that helps a smidge... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for your help. Yes, admitedly, I would benefit from some RoboHelp training, but I was hoping to pick up from were I left off. Five or six years ago I created an HTML WebHelp project using RoboHelp 6. I'm trying to edit and expand on it now. Miraculously, I got it working--after having to manually rebuild the Table of Contents, Glossary and Index. But now I want to create new html pages.

So, I copied the html content of an existing Robohelp html page, copied into Notepad, renamed it and Imported into my project. Shazaam. It's there, I can view it, edit content, etc. But I now want to add some images from outside of RoboHelp.

In RoboHelp 6, the File, Import menu selection included an option to Insert a graphic file. I don't see that anywhere in my application. What I do see are options to insert the following: HTML/XHTML, Framemaker Document, PDF Document, Word Document, DITA Map, XML File, Adobe Captivate Memo, Master Page, Snippet, Skin, and Skin from the Web.

How, then, can I get a jpeg file off of my hard drive into the newly created RoboHelp html file? There's got to be an easy way, right?

Thanks,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete, click the Insert menu...

Hmmm, this might be better explained in a video. Stand by and I'll whip one up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, see if this video helps...

InsertingImages - Magus75's library

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for sending the video. I learned what I need to do. I can't expect to see the image inside the project until I select: Insert, then Image, then manually type the name of the image on the "Image name"  text window. It then places the image in the Preview area. Click OK and in it goes.

I really appreciate your help with this problem. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to note that you aren't forced to type the image filename. It's just that if you have previously copied the image to the folder (which is what I thought was mentioned earlier) that's all you would need to do.

Otherwise, just click that little file browsing icon from the image dialog. When you select an image, the file name will just pop into the field.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

When I click the Insert menu, the jpeg file that I want is not present on the "All Folders" or "Top Level Folder" list. I'm assuming that's because it has not yet been imported into the project.

And, of course, that's why I'm requesting help. How does one get an external jpeg or gif image into the project. Copying it over in Windows 7 OS works (at least from the Window folder view), but the file does not appear when I try to insert if from within RoboHelp 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp