• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do i contact someone who can troubleshoot my installation?

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i contact someone who can troubleshoot my installation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would help if you would provide a few details to start with: operating system and what exactly is not working correctly. I'd like to help you (along with many others on these forums, I'm sure) but don't know where to start. Help us help you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 3yr old HP running Windows 7.  For a class in Powerpoint the school allowed me to download MS Office 2013.  In a exercise to embed a video from YouTube it said I needed an Adobe Flash video plugin so I downloaded Adobe Flash Player 3 times with a reboot before the last time.  Each time the same message came up.  I initially reached out to this forum to see if there was a phone number for Adobe.  Since the clock is ticking for when the assignment is due I hired the Geek Squad to troubleshoot.  After optimizing my PC this is the message they ended up with after 6 hrs of work.

11:09 PM Agent Tyler A.: As none of the other agents who are on currently are able to offer further steps to resolve this, I'd recommend you reconnect in the morning or bring the computer into your local Best Buy. Also we may need to remove and reinstall office leaving only one version on here (you have 2007 and 2013) as well, so please have your product keys ready. Aside from this issue your computer is fully optimized and up to date! Thank you for using Geek Squad Online Support.  Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with and know that we are here for any future issues you may have. You may close this box to end your session which will bring up a survey page regarding your experience with me. Any comments are appreciated!

I am hesitant to bring it in since I don't know how long it would take to re-install and I kind of feel they didn't know what else to suggest.  I am obviously at a point of frustration and don't have a clue as to why this is such an issue.  Is it Adobe, is it MS, all are guesses.  Forums aren't my favorite which is why I hoped for a live rep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac, but I've got a couple of questions.

1) Are you trying to install Flash 14? Another forum contributor pointed out that the Mac installer on the adobe website, at least, wasn't working. There was a problem-free version on macromedia.com instead of adobe.com.

2) If you're trying to install the latest version of Flash, is it compatible with your computer's processor? You might have to try an older version of Flash if that is the case.

This might be stuff you already know to consider/have considered. Just thought it might be something (infuriatingly) basic. I can't see how having multiple versions of Office would affect your issue. I have Office for the Mac 2011 (I'm on my 3rd upgrade) and Flash has never been part of the Office installation. Maybe they are thinking that there is something corrupted with PowerPoint, though I don't know what would cause it to have an issue embedding a Flash object.

I've probably shed more heat than light, but I hope maybe this helps. I know what a pain it is to have to drag a computer in to the techs. (And I don't trust Geek Squad—they totally hosed my Dad's Windows box and introduced a virus in the process. True story. Not good!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey DD,

I'm on a MacBook Pro with Retina (original) running 10.9.3. I've tried installing the latest Flash version 14 to no avail. I wanna scream! Done all the typical stuff (restarting, uninstalling and doing a clean install, checking the plug-in folder for remnants, etc..) none of it works.

I seem to be able to install Flash v12 with no problem, but that has security issues and I want the latest version on my mac to be safe. But every time I try to install 14, it downloads ok, starts the install, then stops with an error that says "Error: Unable to proceed with the installation".

Can you help?

You mentioned a macromedia site with an installer that works. what is the address for that?

Appreciate any help you can give, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the download link for the installer that worked for me:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player_osx.dmg

Hope it gives you good results. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I actually found your post elsewhere a while back, and it worked!

The funny thing is, it's a completely different style of installer. Seems more streamlined. Why do they have two different types, and why does this work while the other doesn't? I'm always running the latest OSX with a Retina MacBook, so its confusing.

I'll keep using the alt macromedia installers if i have to, but how do I find the next one when there's an update? Your link seems to be to a direct download, not really a page.

Thanks!

Micahel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That download link always contains the latest installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2014 Jun 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

u10mc07 wrote:

it said I needed an Adobe Flash video plugin

Have you actually installed the plugin, or just the ActiveX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines