• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does RoboHelp HTML v11.0.1.235 crashes when inserting a script?

New Here ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inserted the following script

"<noscript>

<!--Javascript is not enabled-->

</noscript>".

I used the menu options Insert > HTML > Advanced > Script. Unfortunately, RoboHelp places this tag inside the "<script>" "</script>" tags which causes errors. I was in the procces of moving the tags when RoboHelp froze. RoboHelp (HTML) v11.0.1.235 was installed on my system last week. There is an Add-on to Microsoft Visual Studio (v4.5.50938) where all the files are kept in Source Control. The contents of the problem details are below:

RoboHelp Error.jpg     RoboHelp Error cont.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum, so the exception details won't say much to us.

You say you try to add a script, but you have noscript tags. Are you sure that this problem is related to those tags? It may very well be a fluke that has to do with something else.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to update all HTML files with the noscript tag for browsers that users may have that does not support Javascript. My predecessor entered the HTML coding (script) incorrectly. by entering the text "Javascript is not enabled" at the top of each topic page in the online manual. Unfortunately, users accessing the WebHelp manual discovered that when "full text" or "word" search was performed the text appeared in the search results as part of the title of the page. When looking for assistance on how to correctly insert this tag I came across the RoboHelp Reference for entering this script. Note: I was using RoboHelp v9

Help > Contents & Index > Using RoboHelp 9 > Advanced program features > scripts

or

via URL: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/9.0/RoboHTML/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff59c8c5-7fb0.html

Script window

Scipt-Source.jpg     Script-Tag.jpg

This is how the above is entered in a topic: (HTML view)

HTML view -1.jpg

This is how the script/tags should appear.

HTML view -2.jpg

The system does not freeze up every time. I can work on a few topics (maybe 5 or 6) then it will freeze. I am not sure if the problem has anything to do with inserting a script but this is the only time it freezes. I use RoboHelp on a daily basis and is in it all day long for I am a Technical Writer assigned to preparing and updating online manuals. If I am creating a new topic or updating content on a topic (Design view) the system doesn't freeze up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the script window, this is what I expect you to get. If you want true noscript options, you have to manually add the tags in HTML mode. The scripts window allows you to add JavaScript but noscript is not supported in the RH interface. Perhaps the freeze is related to the noscript tag embedded in the script tag, but that's just a guess. Does RH freeze after you corrected the tags?

But why do you add this code? RoboHelp output is built in such a way that when JavaScript is disabled, it will give a warning to the user itself. So it doesn't seem to add anything y manually adding this information if you ask me.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your question. Customers that use our product contacted our support line to complain about "Javascript is not enabled" displaying on the top of each page. My predecessor entered this text either directly as content for a topic or in HTML view as instructed by our Development team. But, it was typed incorrectly. As I indicated in my previous response, I researched how we are suppose to enter information such as that into the HTML view. I accessed Help > Contents & Index > Using RoboHelp 9 > Advanced program features > Scripts and saw an article located at the following link: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/9.0/RoboHTML/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff59c8c5-7fb 0.html

If we do not provide the script, customers that have browser programs that does not support Javascript will have problems accessing our online manuals. Once I entered the script correctly, I no longer receive script errors when viewing pages via Google Chrome or IE and the text no longer appears in the manuals. Users are now able to perform searches and retrieve the correct results. 

I have completed one WebHelp project and have a few more to do. I am not sure if inserting the script is causing RoboHelp to freeze. It could be the constant switching between Design and HTML mode or it could be the Add-On to Microsoft Visual Studio. We use Visual Studio to store all the files for the online manuals. Additionally, I tried adding the script while in HTML view but it didn't work for some reason or another using RoboHelp HTML v9. That's what started my investigation into how I can add these lines of HTML coding. All I know is that with the hundreds of files I have to update, having RoboHelp freeze so much is presenting a problem for me. Hope this information helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way I took care of this problem is by entering the script in a text file and copy/paste it into the HTML view. The system stopped crashing/freezing and I am able to continue with ease.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp