Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Query to Excel

Jul 05, 2007 Jul 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a page that displays results of a search query. I'd like to give users an option to export the results that they see into Excel format by clicking on an icon.
How can I do that?

I do have an UDF that convert query to Excel and takes query as an argument. Anyway I can call it after the page's been rendered?
Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jul 08, 2007 Jul 08, 2007
What you're after in that case, is some form of Ajax functionality. There's a stack of resources out there on Ajax that you'll find with a bit of googling.

You could also achieve this type of funtionality by using frames and making 1 (or more) frames invisible by setting their height to 0. You can then direct action to the hidden frame - this keeps the current page visible while the hidden frame generates your excel.

cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of a couple of possibilities.

1)If you generate the output in a CSV format and deliver that with the
appropiate content-headers using the <cfcontent...> tag, it would open
or download into excell or any other spreadsheet application configured
to handle CSV files on the client machine.

2)A long ago ColdFusion Developer Journal article talked about how Excel
can fairly easily be convinced to read a HTML table as data and showed
how to format data to be download into a client's worksheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use cfcontent. Here's a livedoc article on it.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/6/Developing_ColdFusion_MX_Applications_with_CFML/manageFiles5....

Jump to the section "To create an Excel spreadsheet with cfcontent"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to use the html method which is very simple - generate your output in an html table, save it to a file with an .xls extension and then open it using cfcontent. Excel automatically converts the html table into excel rows and columns and some basic formatting is also retained.

More recently however I've been using Jakarta POI which is simple to use and much more powerful. I won't try explaining how to use it as there's a page that already does a nice job of it >>HERE<<

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2007 Jul 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all,
But my problem is not converting query to excel, i do have a function that handles it: generateExcel(aQuery). This function takes any query as an argument and generates .xls file on the fly.
I need to call this function by clicking an icon and pass the result query whithin the same page that displays the result in HTML format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2007 Jul 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What you're after in that case, is some form of Ajax functionality. There's a stack of resources out there on Ajax that you'll find with a bit of googling.

You could also achieve this type of funtionality by using frames and making 1 (or more) frames invisible by setting their height to 0. You can then direct action to the hidden frame - this keeps the current page visible while the hidden frame generates your excel.

cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation