5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2014 8:59 AM by Noel Carboni

Please add a "CC 2014 compatible" filter to the add-ons browser

Samoreen Level 3

Hi,

Now that almost all existing extensions are incompatible with PS CC 2014 (thanks a lot for this strange move), it would be useful to add a corresponding filter in the add-ons browser. Currently, you can only discover that an extension is not compatible with CC 2014 when you try to install it. You can acquire it but it doesn't actually installs and doesn't appear in the Extension Manager CC. You try and try again until you understand that a lot of extensions have been broken and will never install PS CC 2014. Sometimes you get the following error message :

error -411

Compatible CC app not found.

Solution: Install a compatible Adobe application before installing Add-ons.

which is rather funny after all.

Of course, installing such a filter would result in a very short list.

• 1. Re: Please add a "CC 2014 compatible" filter to the add-ons browser
          Wolf Eilers Level 4

I agree with the filter in the add-on browser. I have no idea what Extensions/Add Ons are compatible in CC 2014. (Indeed, what is the difference between an "extension" and an "add-on"?)

The only extension (add-on?) that seems to have installed in Ps CC 2014 is Adobe Layer Namer. My other extensions -- Tych Panel and Adobe Paper Texture Pro -- are listed as installed in Extension Manager CC but do not show up in Ps CC 2014. Is it because they are Flash based?

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2. Re: Please add a "CC 2014 compatible" filter to the add-ons browser
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I suspect this is not going to end well in the short term.  Flypaper Textures will probably be fixed because Russell Brown is employed by Adobe, and is an evil genius who will have no problems with HTML5, but as for the rest of our favourite extensions, it's too much to expect all of the authors to recode them in HTM5.

This is not strictly relevant, but Lazy Nezumi — which is not an extension so still works thank goodness — is only available for Windows.  It's the greatest aid to drawing with Photoshop since they invented graphics tablets, and a lot of people have paid for a license.  I exchange the odd email with Guillaume, the author, and he says he knows he should make a Mac version, but it never happens.  My guess is that coding for the Mac is too different to coding in Windows, so the job remains stuck in the too hard basket, and Guillaume misses out on significant income.  It's not that he can't be arsed, because he constantly updates the Windows version with really nice new features.   I have no idea how different coding in HTML5 is to coding in Flash, but I really hope the answer is 'not very'.   Fixing our extensions will still be a big ask, because even if it is not that hard, most of them are completely free, so where is the incentive?

• 3. Re: Please add a "CC 2014 compatible" filter to the add-ons browser
              Samoreen Level 3

Wolf Eilers wrote:

Indeed, what is the difference between an "extension" and an "add-on"?

Hi,

For me Extensions and Add-ons are the same. These are modules that modify or extend the user interface, giving another way to access some features, giving some additional information or easing some operations by automating them. They are usually not directly involved in editing operations, which is what plugins do. Plugins use another programming interface allowing them to directly modify the image. They add new editing features to Photoshop.

• 4. Re: Please add a "CC 2014 compatible" filter to the add-ons browser
                Samoreen Level 3

New version of Adobe Extension Manager CC available but still no way to filter out non CC 2014 compatible extensions in the add-on browser. Or did I miss something? Sigh!

• 5. Re: Please add a "CC 2014 compatible" filter to the add-ons browser
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Trevor Dennis wrote:

My guess is that coding for the Mac is too different to coding in Windows, so the job remains stuck in the too hard basket,

That's a fair assessment.

Developing commercial software takes more than basic effort - usually to be able to sell something useful it's got to be complex enough a product that it's all the engineer(s) can do to manage a release for one platform.

Add the complexity of a second platform (which may have a few things in common, such as OpenGL, but have a tremendous number of things different, such as how to manage the UI) and it goes over the edge of practicality for all but a big, well-funded organization.

-Noel