Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion & Image Uploading

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2007 Jul 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone:

I'm trying to determine why Im getting an INSERT error when I run this ColdFusion page on my server. If anyone would be kind enough as to take a look at my code and show me what I've done wrong (if anything?) I would appreciate it. I am running this from a Microsoft Access Database named cfwtf, and the test table is defined. The test table consists of 2 columns, an autoIncrement Id, and a text field named 'image'. When ColdFusion tries to execute the attached code, I continually receive an INSERT error.

When looking at the error I see that it does have the value for image defined (e.g. when I upload an image named "sometestimage.jpg", the ColdFusion code spits it back to me in the error statement, and the file gets uploaded in the correct location). All I'm trying to understand is why it won't copy that file name into the database when everything else seems to be working correctly.

Thanks in advance!!

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you attach the error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message is as follows:

Error Executing Database Query.
Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.

42 :
43 : VALUES (
44 : '#cffile.SERVERFILE#'
45 : )
46 :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SQL INSERT INTO test ( image ) VALUES ( 'test.jpg' )
DATASOURCE cfwtf
VENDORERRORCODE 3092
SQLSTATE  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2007 Jul 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think "image" is a reserved word in the MS Jet SQL engine. Try changing the field name and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image is not a reserved word in Access 2002 - see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q286335/. Try pulling the CFIF statement out of the CFQUERY and making the assignment to a temporary variable. Use that variable in the VALUES clause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image is a reserved word according this documentation:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HP010322491033.aspx

The CFIF isn't the problem since the error message that is returned shows the SQL statement:
INSERT INTO test ( image ) VALUES ( 'test.jpg' )

That 3092 error often indicates a SQL problem usually related to a bad or invalid field name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try escaping the field name image with brackets and putting the filename value in a parameter in case the characters in the filename need to be escaped as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2007 Jul 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So "image" is not a reserved word in Access 2002, but is a reserved word in Access 2003. Which version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2007 Jul 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If the problem still exists then try this code

<cfset thisFile = Evaluate("cffile.SERVERFILE") />
<cfif Len(Trim(thisFile)) >
<cfset filename = #cffile.SERVERFILE#/>
<cfelse>
<cfset filename = " "/>
</cfif>

<cfquery datasource="cfwtf">
INSERT
INTO test
(image)
VALUES
(#filename#)
</cfquery>

Hope this will help you.

Cheers

Amit Rana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 17, 2007 Jul 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Amit 9808
<cfset thisFile = Evaluate("cffile.SERVERFILE") />
<cfset filename = #cffile.SERVERFILE#/>
<cfelse>
<cfset filename = " "/>
</cfif>

I don't think Evaulate() is needed here. The error is most likely what dempster mentioned: image is a reserved word. They just need to check the form field and if its not empty perform the upload and insert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2007 Jul 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with u that Evaluate() is not required here, the value of the cffile.serverfile can be assigned to a variable without using it.
But the thing which needs to concentrate is that i am using
for checking the length of the value.
as i think its better to use this rather than using <cfif isDefined()>
because if you just click upload button without selecting any file ( In this case he is selecting the file but suppose) then sometimes you will get error. Just try it once.
Please correct me if i am wrong
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. IsDefined() won't work because the file field will always be defined.

I should have been more specific. When I said "check the form field and if its not empty perform the upload and insert" I meant use your len(trim(...)) check on the form field.

<!--- If a file was uploaded --->
<cfif len(trim(form.theFileField)) gt 0>
.... do the upload
</cfif>

Though its interesting to note that if you type anything in the file field (like 5 space characters) the #len(trim(form.theFileField))# value will be greater than 0. So it will still pass the CFIF test, but CF will throw an error when you try and upload with cffile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. How about the simple fact that "image" is not defined as a variable prior to that. stForm.image is what you want in there.

Even if image is not a reserved word, it is best NOT to use it as a variable name because it MIGHT cause problems. But I bet if you use the entire variable name here (stForm.image) it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 19, 2007 Jul 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Dinghus
Hey. How about the simple fact that "image" is not defined as a variable prior to that. stForm.image is what you want in there.

No.

Look at the error message and query they posted. Its a SQL error. Since their code produced a valid sql statement the error has nothing to do with the stForm variable. The problem is that "Image" is a reserved word. They must either rename the column or use square brackets around it in their query:

INSERT INTO test ( [Image] ) VALUES ( 'test.jpg' )

I don't know what the purpose of stForm.Image is (or if its even needed). But any other issues with that variable are secondary. The primary problem is they've used a reserved word as a table column name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2007 Jul 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the MS Access driver with unicode support, try the MS Access driver without unicode support. I get the same error code in an insert statement in CFMX 6.1. Switching to the MS Access driver without unicode support resolved the issue for me.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 29, 2007 Jul 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It gets back to the issue of "image" being a reserved word. Switching drivers would work (the other Access driver isn't as strict with things like field lengths and reserved words) but it would be better practice to change the field name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation