• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How is the glossary widget useful when the slide won't stop?

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my first day trying to learn Captivate 8. I created a glossary widget on a blank page thinking it might serve as a valuable resource. When I preview it, the widget doesn't even show up until most of ther way through the time duration and then stops. I must be missing something obvious because apparently C8 creates movies, not self timed pages. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rob............

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

LOL, only one of the Adobe engineers can say why it fails to appear during the "Play this slide" type of preview.

Does it appear for the Next 5 Slides or the Project or the Browser preview?

As it's an interaction, perhaps Captivate has to render it before it can properly present it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Indeed Captivate does create something akin to a movie. But you also have the power to command it to stop. You do this by inserting other objects on slides. Perhaps a Click Box, or a Button or a Smart Shape configured as a Button or a Text Entry Box. All of those objects will pause playback until something commands the play to resume.

And as for when it will appear, that too is in your control. It may appear immediately, after a few seconds, your choice.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks! I think part of the problem is that hitting the Preview> Play Slide button doesn't display the widget at all. It sort of works when I use Preview>In Browser. HTML5 display is awful. Looks like I still have a lot to figure out.

Rob..........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I see it all the time in my Captivate classes. Participants seem to always want to preview that way and it's so seldom the way to preview as all it does is give you an idea as to the slide timing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, so maybe they should rename that control 'Play Slide (except everything you want to see on the slide)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it does exactly what it says. It just plays the timeline of the slide.

What you need to understand is that its purpose is just to check timing of when specific elements will appear and disappear. As you have learned on your own, is that any type of interaction is not possible. The playhead moves, you see items appear and disappear and at the end everything simply appears and you are right back in edit mode.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's the case, why does the widget not appear at all? I have it set to start at 0 seconds and remain for the duration of the project. When I hit Preview>Play Slide I see the slide background and nothing else for the 8 seconds the slide is set to play. It's not obvious to me why the widget element remains invisible.

BTW, thank you for your responses. It has been very helpful, though I must say that this is the most difficult and frustrating piece of software I've ever tried to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, only one of the Adobe engineers can say why it fails to appear during the "Play this slide" type of preview.

Does it appear for the Next 5 Slides or the Project or the Browser preview?

As it's an interaction, perhaps Captivate has to render it before it can properly present it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it does. I suppose you're right in suggesting that since it's an 'Interaction' that explains why it doesn't show there. Sure wasted a lot of time on that bit of arcane knowledge, but thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources