• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2014 is MUCH slower than Photoshop CC in a side-by-side comparison.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can run them side-by-side on the same system and Photoshop CC 2014 is literally 2 times slower when selecting layers, hiding layers and moving vector points in pixel increments. 

Anyone having this issue?  I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro, 8GB of RAM running Mavericks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 142 Replies 142
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it could be system-specific.  I did a very careful comparison some days ago and found the new version a little faster myself.  But I'm on the PC side (I have a reasonably powerful PC workstation).

Just because you mentioned specific things, I tested again.  I have a really deep, huge test image with lots of groups, layers, colors, etc. that someone prepared as a layer operations torture test.  Here's what I found:

• Opening this document, 1.65 GB in size and 8000 x 8000 pixels, took 29.6 seconds in Photoshop CC 14.x and 21.6 seconds in Photoshop CC (2014).
  • The time to select a layer is small enough that it's nearly impossible to measure accurately.  For example if I select a Curves layer the Properties panel is updated nearly instantly, and the highlight in the Layers panel shows up maybe 0.2 to 0.4 second later (the histogram fills in ever so slightly after).  How are you measuring the time to select layers, specifically?  Subjectively it seems that Photoshop CC (2014) is slightly more responsive if anything with regard to selecting layers.
  • In Photoshop CC 14.x hiding the "white dots" or "black dots" layer groups in my test image takes 1.8 seconds.  Showing the same layer takes 2.0 seconds.  In Photoshop CC (2014) the timing is consistently 0.2 second less at 1.6 and 1.8 seconds.  I measured these operations a lot of times with a 0.2 second resolution stopwatch to make sure I got solid numbers.
  • I selected the top layer and created a closed path shape with the Pen Tool.  I then zoomed in to 2500% and selected one of the points with the Direct Selection Tool, then used the arrow keys on the keyboard to move it a pixel.  It took 0.8 second to update the display in Photoshop CC 14.x, and 0.6 second in Photoshop CC (2014).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel .... thank you for taking the time and doing some tests!   Wow ... I really WISH my Photoshop was running like yours, but I guess this could be a Mac-only issue? 

Dunno, but I only have a 250MB file (with lots of layers) opened up in both PSCC and PSCC 2014 on my Macbook Pro right now.  Clicking through & hiding layers is taking up to a full second maybe 1.5 seconds for the layer to refresh on PSCC 2014.  Going to the PSCC version (with the same file open) it's very snappy to click through & hide layers ... way less than a second.  I've double-checked the performance settings in BOTH versions and they are exactly the same ... no difference. 

If Photoshop CC is still working fast, and Photoshop CC 2014 is working slow, I know it's not my system and MUST be something to do with Adobe.  My guess is that the tweaks they did to the Mercury Engine has had a significantly negative impact on my system.  It's like the frame rate dropped dropped, so yeah, in other words, the drivers for the video card. 

Again, thanks for the tests

Anyway Macbook Pro users out there?

- Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something to try - not saying it will help, but worth a look...  In your Layers panel, click the fly-out menu icon at the top and choose Panel Options.

Try changing Thumbnail Contents to Entire Document, then Quit and restart Photoshop.  I'm curious whether that might help.  It was a workaround proposed to a performance problem back in Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad someone is feeling the same as I do today!

I was trying to figure out why — all of a sudden — my Photoshop is so unresponsive and lagging. Nothing at all has changed with my system since yesterday other than installing CC 2014. It's so bad, everyone in my office is having the exact same problem. Kinda shocking actually. It feels like I am working on a system that is 10+ years old! My fingers are crossed that Adobe can identify something specific, and provide a fix. Not holding my breath though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, and simply can not find an explanation or solution. With this configuration, you should not act badly.

My system:

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Gainward GeForce GTX 770 Phantom 4GB

Intel i7 CPU

16 GB of RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have almost the same system but with 32G of RAM and my InDesign 2014 seems to be running in molasses. Like everyone else here, i can't find a word about why or how to fix this from Adobe. Not happy. Very not happy!!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just posted the first update for PS CC 2014 (2014.1) and the update includes a few performance fixes.  Please update to the latest version when you have a chance and let me know if you're still experiencing sluggishness with CC 2014.1 (15.1) compared to CC (14.2.1) on the same system.

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2014/08/new-3d-printing-features-and-enhancements-in-photosho...

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the update this afternoon and so far anecdotally on my Wacom Cintiq Companion the 15.1 update does seem to be running better and handling lots of layers and/or Layer Comps pretty well.  I'll have to test it more this week to say if it is as fast as CC.  The menu speed and selecting tools does seem significantly better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update does seem to run faster, particularly on my files with lots of layers and/or layer comps that were sluggish before. Thanks, Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of you have a sample file that you could post online, and that can be used (along with some specific instructions) to illustrate the problem?  I suspect that if Adobe has a file that makes the slowdown obvious and can be used to reliably reproduce it, you have a greater chance of it being resolved.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help! Please wait, i upload a PSD file. I posted here the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a download link to one of my work. Dropbox - tapeta.zip

Is there much more complex and has multiple layers to work with files, but the new version can not effectively.

The previous (simple CC) version of this document I was able to work without stuttering and tearing. In Photoshop CC 2014 falter the interface, the tools to become slow, slow response to layers; clog the moving objects; clog the zoom and scolling, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent example.  I'm sure the Adobe engineers will want to take a look at this image and test it on their Macs.

By the way on my system I could not detect a degradation in performance with your image, just as with my own test image.  For example, I tried selecting and moving the Csoport14 group, and was able to move it around with about a 5 frames per second update speed in both Photoshop CC 14.x and Photoshop CC (2014), so this does indeed seem like a system-specific issue.

One other thing you might try...   In your Photoshop - Preferences - Performance dialog, have you tried the [ Tall and Thin ] settings preset?  It might help in this case, of a very deep document with lots of layers and groups.  Make sure to fully Quit and restart Photoshop after any of these preference changes.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Noel.

I don't know whether it is possible to send to Adobe developers. There is an option where you can send them for test files?

I tried several different ways to change the performance settings, but unfortunately you do not get results: (

Don't understand, because the system requirements meets the for my configuration, and the previous version is not perceived lag and slow performance.
Many users complain now these errors; Mac and PC platforms.

I hope Adobe engineers read the forum; or looking out for the feedback; because such an expensive program, and we want to work with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting  "font preview size"  to "none" and see if that helps.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is everyone who is experiencing sluggishness with PS CC 2014 on Mac using files that contain text layers?  This is a critical data point I'd like to have.

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Lots of text layers.

Actually for what it's worth, after posting my reply yesterday I quit CC2014 and booted up CC to work on the exact same file and there was a night and day difference. Same exact file running in CC was lightning fast (as it should be).

Here are my specs:

• Mid 2011 27" Mac
  • 3.4GHz Core i7
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • AMD Radeon HD
  • OSX 10.9.3 Mavericks

Hoping this is going to be a known bug, accompanied with a swift fix!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's as slow as ancient time on my computer as well. I’m working on a poster design (with a few text layers, if that matters).

My specs are:

MacBook Pro (I think) late 2011 15"

2 GHz Core i7

8GB DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD

OSX 10.9.3 Mavericks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem. Not only my computer, 5 computers on my company got this.
This version is unusable, we all switched back to the "old" photoshop cc. Really, really annoying and frustrating .

We are all on 64bit PC systems intel i7 with 32gb ddr3 ram, windows8 + windows7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue.  I have a fairly decent PC that isn't even 6 months old. Photoshop CC runs perfectly, but CC 2014 is utterly unusable. I have been afraid to download any of the other updated CC 2014 apps because of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple questions for Windows users:

1.  What specifically is slower compared to 14.2.1?  Everything?  Or specifically interacting with elements on canvas?

2.  Does it get better if you leave PS idle for a few minutes after launch?

3.  When performance is poor, what does Task Manager report for Photoshop CPU usage?

4.  Have you tried un-installing and re-installing 14.2.1? (this has helped some people with performance issues on Windows OS)

Any more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

To answer your questions:

1.  Anything GUI related.  Any of the menus, drawing on canvas, buttons, etc.  There is a serious delay in the response time.  Just clicking the brush tool, for instance, took a good five seconds before it would activate. 

2.  It does not get better with time.  I left it along all night long and came back to it in the morning and it is still sluggish.

3.  CPU Usage ~18%

4.  Yes, I have uninstalled the previous version of Photoshop and have re-installed it.   No change in the performance of CC 2014

PC Specs: 

Windows 8.1

AMD FX (tm)-6300 Six-Core 3.50 GHz

Radeon HD 7700

8GB DDR3 RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed reply.  One more question: have you tried disabling Font previews (Type > Font Preview Size > None)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have.  No change.

Another piece of info that might be useful is that once Photoshop CC 2014 opens, all of the menus/buttons are very responsive.  It's only when a new document is created or when an existing document is opened that it starts acting up, the cursor/spinner wheel freezes and from that point on, things go down hill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines