• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show Deprecated Formats in Output Module Settings don't appear in my output option!

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I'm new at using Adobe After Effects CC 2014 and all the help guilds I look up for After Effects say to change your video output to something like h.264 (MP4) out fit I need to click on the check box called 'Show Deprecated Formats in Output Module Settings', BUT will doesn't appear on my options area. Only three options are in that section, but nothing named that. Can someone please help me with this problem?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

See this for an explanation for this change and for the recommend workflow:

using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just come to here to bring up the same point.

Why is it that you are forcing us to go through Media Encoder just to create an MP4?

I do not need a super high quality version to show a work-in-progress to a client. Going through ME is slower and buggier. I often find that after updating a comp in AE and duplicating the output in ME, ME renders out the comp without the updates in. This is not a good workflow. Please reconsider at least giving us the option of outputting directly out of AE.

If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed the same. My guess is they gave us a transition period with CC that still had the formats added if you dug to get to the preference checkbox, and now for CC 2014 they completely ripped it away from us and we have to use AME instead. I also avoided using AME because it seemed to take longer, would crash sometimes, etc. Overall it just seemed like an unnecessary hassle when I was perfectly happy with the results I was getting straight out of AE.

Edit: Confirmed via bottom of this page :

"

removal of H.264, MPEG-2, WMV, FLV, F4V, and SWF exporters from After Effects

To export to final delivery formats such as MPEG-2, H.264, and WMV, use Adobe Media Encoder. You can either add compositions directly to the Adobe Media Encoder encoding queue (Composition > Add To Adobe Media Encoder Queue) or render and export a lossless master file directly from After Effects that Adobe Media Encoder picks up from a watch folder to encode to various final delivery formats.

The SWF, FLV, and F4V exporters were removed because the recommended workflow for creating movies that play in Flash Player is to create an H.264 video using Adobe Media Encoder and then use Flash Professional to link or embed that video in a SWF container"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok that's all I needed to know thanks alot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spend most days constantly exporting .mp4 files in just a couple of minutes or so and sending them by email to clients for approval. I rarely have any problems with this method.

In AE CC 2014 I can no longer do this and have to use AME.

How is it progress when the 'recommended workflow' with AME takes more than twice as long as exporting from AE using a deprecated format ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. It takes twice as long and is flaky. Now you can no longer just duplicate a render queue item but instead have export the comp to AME AGAIN and then select the correct file path AGAIN as AME always defaults to the folder the AE project is located in. This a huge step backwards, I have no idea what Adobe were thinking when they decided this was a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is the decisions are being made by those whose job it is to just design the software, not actually use it on a daily basis. Hello ? Is there anybody from Adobe who can shed light on this matter ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though it's a year old, I think this thread from CreativeCow sheds some light, specifically Todd Kopriva's post 4 down. Makes sense I suppose, I'll just have to adapt.

Todd Kopriva wrote:

There have been many problems with the H.264 and MPEG-2 exporters in After Effects. The exporters in Adobe Media Encoder (AME) didn't have these problems, and the team that works on AME is continuing to improve these exporters.

If you want the After Effects team to concentrate on things that we're good at (animation and image processing technology), then you should want us to not spend a lot of time on codecs, leaving that instead to the people expert in that area.

Before you ask: No, it is not a simple matter of just dropping the AME code into After Effects. That said, we think that the best long-term solution is to have After Effects call Adobe Media Encoder to do the encoding work when you add things to the render queue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for shedding some light on the situation. However, I have exported thousands of h.264/MP4s out of AE with no issue. It has worked for years and is absolutely fine. Unless they speed up the workflow to AME then they should give us the option to leave them in like in the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the cut and paste from another forum. Already seen this useless response before I went looking further. The thing is WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ADAPT. We are the customers who pay for this software and it being software, as opposed to hardware, this kind of thing CAN be easily changed. When it has an adverse effect on productivity of those who use the software, then it SHOULD be changed. Adobe ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would respond to Mr. Kopriva that I expect your team to be expert at all things AE is capable of. Period. I would also respond, if you're so bad at codecs then why do you render at all. Don't just cut some codecs and cry ignorance. I require you to be better than that. I PAY for you to be better than that.

I have no new info to add, but wanted to make sure another voice is heard on this issue. I don't need another application open, taking up system resources and I don't need to use an app that take WAY LONGER to dump out an mp4. I don't need that. I don't.

This is now added to a long list of, what are you thinking Adobe?! Your illustrator/AE import sucks. And software design is more and more being done in IA and not in PS. But what do I know? I just work for one of the largest software developers on the planet. And the products I build motion for are only used by BILLIONS of people.

Fix this please.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that all the Adobe staff are keeping well clear of this one even though it is the currently the most liked topic on this forum.

Can anyone from Adobe give us further comment on why it is you are so keen on messing up our workflows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried to voice up my voice on this (After Effects CC 2014 - removal of H.264, MPEG-2, WMV, FLV, F4V, and SWF exporters - WHY !?)

NOT being able to render out to FLV from AE CC 2014 at all, provides NO reason of updating...

There is NO format left to be used to EMBED video INTO FLASH!!!!

If one updates to new version, demanding of still keeping the old one is simply REDICULOUS!!!

WHY on earth this was decided? WHAT weird mind thought of this !!?!?

That is REDICULOUS!!

Should we expect or should we abandon the whole idea of updating to CC 2014 at all!?!?

An official response to this would be REALLY appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe: Please do not revert this workflow. The programming reasons are sound, the workflow from AE to AME is both efficient and proper for my business and my clients; I only need compressed clips for approvals and demos. I can do that easily and quickly using AME.

Concentrate on the stuff in AE that improves how my effects are edited and designed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it doesn't affect your workflow, and you apparently don't care in the slightest how it affects someone who may have a different needs.

Rendering low-resolution previews for me is taking 5 mins in After Effects and 28 mins in AME. Could you take a minute to explain how you're getting those "quick" renders out of AME?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, do enlighten us…

If this change presents no problem for you, then what are you even doing on this thread ? Brown-noseing Adobe ? Or just trying to annoy the people who actually have a valid complaint ? Because if there are professionals who are actually take the time to complain, its because they are actually encountering problems, not because they're making them up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a discussion about having one or the other, but having both options. AME is fine for some use, but the speed is horrible. I have AE comps that are extremely heavy and can use up to 2 hours to render directly from AE on a really fast machine. In AME this is almost a joke as it can sit 15-30 hours.

This issue needs to be fixed as this renders after effects pretty useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding multiple steps to the rendering process completely contradicts the new smooth workflow Adobe seems so proud of. SMH

All of my exports are coming up darker using AME. Never had this problem rendering out of After Effects. Has anyone experimented with the AME H.264 presets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this for an explanation for this change and for the recommend workflow:

using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> All of my exports are coming up darker using AME. Never had this problem rendering out of After Effects.

Use the first option specified here, the one with the lossless master and the watch folder:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem… All my exports are significantly darker. So now I have to STILL tie up AE to export a lossless master then re-render in Encoder.  Twice the work… Twice the time...

You guys are really screwing a lot of professionals over.  PUT BACK THE DEPRECATED FORMAT OPTION!~!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used the recommended workflow and unfortunately I'm having the same problem. The image on the left is CC the image on the right is 2014. I am losing money and sleep on this. I'm being given 2014 files and having to recreate them in CC to get the color correct. What is even more a pain is that the colors look correct before rendering. The 2014 settings are identical to CC. This is frustrating. Beyond frustrating.

orange.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me to say again...

BUT...

H.264 may be made through Media Encoder BUT

1) It may NOT be embeded to flash (ONLY flv format is embedable at all in flash!!!!)

2) Does NOT provide ANY kind of transparency!!

WHO decided to brake the workflow THAT BAD is NOT UNDERSTANDABLE at all!!!

Wish this will be addressed somehow, so that it would really make upgrading to CC 2014 meaningfull at all!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I donno if anyone cares, but at this point most of the comments about this are basically people saying how bad the software is... but I didn't come here to start a topic about crap like that my question was answered a few days ago, but I just marked your answer as correct you can just delete this topic or lock it or whatever if you think it's a big bother to have comments and not answers to the main topic thanks alot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that a so-called Adobe expert took the time to mark the previous comment as "helpful" while at no point addressing the real concerns expressed by the many professionals on this thread, shows that this is the wrong place to come if you're looking for real help. Shame on you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines