• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I scale an image proportionally?

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In older versions of InDesign, simply holding down the Shift key while scaling an image would keep its proportions. This doesn't seem to work in CC. Anyone know how to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + Shift (Windows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and command + shift (Mac)...!

Cheers!

-Mikey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also getting the same problem since downloading the new CC. Strangely enough, the Shift key works to scale proportion in Illustrator, so it's just InDesign that has this problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

morganporterdesign wrote:

In older versions of InDesign, simply holding down the Shift key while scaling an image would keep its proportions.

Well actually, that constrains the proportions of the frame containing the image. To include the image itself in the scaling, add Cmd/Ctrl, as others have already said. The modifier keys must be held down before you click the corner handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately holding Cmd +Shift and then clicking the corner handle doesn't have any effect for me. Again, Shift key works fine in Illustrator and Photoshop too. Have looked through Keyboard shortcuts but there doesn't seem to be anything for just Shift key. Running on Mac here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, when you hover your cursor over the corner (without clicking) does it change to a double headed arrow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the arrow changes and I can drag and scale as per us. but Shift doesn't trigger a proportional movement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarted my computer and Shift works again in InDesign. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad you figured it out.

My recommendation: The first time something appears not to be working as expected, (1) quit out of InDesign and restart your computer. (2) If that doesn't fix it, restore your InDesign preferences.

A good deal of the time, that will fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines