Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPUB file won't open in Apple iBooks

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I'm creating ebooks for a client using InDesign CC and she reports that the most recent EPUB I've created for her won't open in iBooks. As I don't own a smartphone or tablet I can't error-test on my end, but if you can think of anything that would lead to this error please let me know! I can't think of anything I've done differently in creating the EPUB, so maybe it's an issue with a recent CC or iBooks update? Has anyone else had this problem recently? The other ebooks I've made for her open fine.

Her report on what happened: "when I go to my downloads folder and double click the file -- it opens the book shelf in ibooks and shows that the file is there but it has no cover. When i double click the book the program doesnt do anything. it doesnt open."

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Haley,

Which version of iBooks is your client using? Is she testing on Mac OS or on iPad?

Regards,

Pooja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pooja,

Not sure which version, but I know she's on a Mac OS and NOT an iPad. I'm going to try to replicate the error on my end with a few Apple devices that my friends own, but haven't had the chance to do so yet. Do you have any clue at all what might be happening? Right now I'm sitting on my hands because I don't know where to begin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried running an EPUB checker on your file to make sure it isn't actually anything on your end? Other than that I would just suggest making sure she has the most up to date version of iBooks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually no, I haven't! Good idea. Can you suggest an ebook checker that you find reliable? I'll go hunt some down on my end.

Another suggestion I found is to convert the file to an epub in Calibre's Ebook Manager. Any thoughts on that game plan, Adobe Hivemind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever you do, don't touch Calibre. It will never ever help you in a conversion environment. Try running it through FlightDeck to get a sense of what's wrong with the file (https://ebookflightdeck.com/).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Laura! I'll use that from now on, and I appreciate your advice on Calibre.

It looks like this might be an issue on my client's end... hopefully I can clear this up in another week or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2014 Jul 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

So I tried running the ebook through two ebook checkers and also opened it up just fine on another iOS device (which *should* be the only thing you can use iBooks on--so why my client said she was running it on a Mac is a mystery to me). So far so nothing--there were a few errors about best use practices and inline objects that I'll tweak, but nothing catastrophic.

Any other thoughts on what might be causing this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In your last post here, you also had the same problem with the cover, which I think was due to the CMYK mode settings. Now I have no idea if iBooks doesn't display cover images that are CMYK, but usually images should be RGB (or Grayscale) in EPUB in order for them to display in ADE and Nook.

Are there any other problems in the EPUB, i.e. other than the cover?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines