Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some popups not displaying in IE

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2007 Jul 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,
I am a user of RoboInfo ver. 6 and am currently having some difficulties getting all informational popups to display. I am using Robo to create a site with a procedure manual for my department and have lots of screen shots for informational purposes. We recently (during the month of June) upgraded to XP Service Pack 2 and it seems that ever since then SOME popups will not display at all after clicking on the link. It seems as though only the most recent .htm files that I created have this problem and if I view the .htm files directly from the project folder locally the popups work fine. The popups also display properly through the preview option in Robo. I'm guessing the problem has to be with Internet Explorer. The error message states: "Problems with this Web page might prevent it from being displayed properly..." Under the Details section it shows Line: 1348, Char: 2, Error: Access is denied., Code: 0, URL:... Any info that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jul 12, 2007 Jul 12, 2007
Hello Gary -

"I see" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Try this:
1) From the Project Manager View create a new topic.
2) Delete all text from the new topic.
3) Insert your image into the topic
4) Change to TOC View - DO NOT ADD THE NEW PAGE TO THE TOC
5) Display "parent" topic, the one in your TOC, the one to create the link in
6) Create your popup, be it text or an image, by selecting and clicking Insert > Popup

In the Popup window, go down to "Select destination (file o...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jul 09, 2007 Jul 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gary -

Just a guess but it probably is due to Micrsoft "resetting" your Internet Zone security settings as an approach to beef up IE security. You may need to include your Web site in the Trusted Websites zone.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2007 Jul 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response GEWB. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is the answer since most of the popups work fine. It's only the most recent ones that aren't functioning properly. I've tried changing a few settings under Internet Options, namely "Allow Active Content to run in files on My Computer." This eliminates the error message and a window does popup when I select the link, but the window is blank with the image missing. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: 5.0Montecarlo
Thanks for the response GEWB. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is the answer since most of the popups work fine. It's only the most recent ones that aren't functioning properly. I've tried changing a few settings under Internet Options, namely "Allow Active Content to run in files on My Computer." This eliminates the error message and a window does popup when I select the link, but the window is blank with the image missing. Any other ideas?

Hmm, starting to think the SP2 thing was not a cause. I think there may be something in the way you are importing files or generating the project that cause the missing image. Try running some of the RH Reports and see if that helps identify anything.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2007 Jul 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, starting to think the SP2 thing was not a cause. I think there may be something in the way you are importing files or generating the project that cause the missing image. Try running some of the RH Reports and see if that helps identify anything.

Regards,
GEWB

Unfortunately our reports aren't currently set up. If we do get them set up, would you know what reports we could run that might identify what the problem would be?

Thanks,
Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd think that old files would stop working when new ones don't work.

Is something different between the new and old htm files? Did you use the same procedures for inserting links, creating popups, inserting images, storing targets within the same file structure? Did you start using PNG images rather than jpeg and gif? Do the new files try to reach out for targets in an external environment? Double-check hyperlinks for correct paths to targets?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: HKabaker
You'd think that old files would stop working when new ones don't work.

Is something different between the new and old htm files? Did you use the same procedures for inserting links, creating popups, inserting images, storing targets within the same file structure? Did you start using PNG images rather than jpeg and gif? Do the new files try to reach out for targets in an external environment? Double-check hyperlinks for correct paths to targets?

Harvey

I created these popups in the exact same way I did the others (by selecting popup in the insert menu and then finding the target file). For the topics that have popups that don't work, I even tried completely recreating them by making a whole new topic and typing everything up again - didn't work. I used .bmp files for all of the popups (not sure why since they're much larger), but I did try converting one to a .jpg and then importing it and received the same message. The new popups, as well as the old ones, were all imported into the project folder so the links shouldn't be broken. By file structure, do you mean NTFS, ext3, etc? As far as I know file structure hasn't been altered. Thanks for the response. Any other possibilities?

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, as this is your second post, welcome to the forums.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

". . . By file structure, do you mean NTFS, ext3, etc? As far as I know file structure hasn't been altered. . . ."

I should have said directory structure, referring to path/filename consistency.

Are you attempting to pop up the image alone?
Or are you creating a new topic, inserting just the image, and linking to it as a popup from the parent topic?

Another issue is the bmp file type. Some time ago I tried using a bmp but couldn't import it into the topic because the RH insert image dialog didn't show it -- gif and jpg were the best choices. I haven't tried bmps lately.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: HKabaker

Are you attempting to pop up the image alone?
Or are you creating a new topic, inserting just the image, and linking to it as a popup from the parent topic?

Another issue is the bmp file type. Some time ago I tried using a bmp but couldn't import it into the topic because the RH insert image dialog didn't show it -- gif and jpg were the best choices. I haven't tried bmps lately.

H

I created a topic (didn't import an existing file) and typed up all of the text. I then highlighted some of the text and went to Insert > Popup and selected the Display in Frame radio button (wouldn't let me select anything else), located the desired image, selected it and clicked OK. I went back into the Popup Properties dialog and selected Display in custom-sized popup, specified the size and clicked OK. This is the same process I used to create all of the popups. I haven't had any problems with text-only popups.

I'll change a few to .gif and see if that helps.

I stated earlier that I'm using RoboInfo ver. 6 when I'm actually using RoboInfo Publisher 5.0.2. Sorry for the mistake.

Thanks,
Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 12, 2007 Jul 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have noticed RoboInfo earlier, and asked what kind of output you are generating. I'm familiar with WebHelp produced from RoboHelp HTML, where I find the best strategy is to place the image into a topic of its own. The hyperlink from the parent topic pops up the image topic.

Maybe RoboInfo is different.

Colleagues?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 12, 2007 Jul 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gary -

"I see" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Try this:
1) From the Project Manager View create a new topic.
2) Delete all text from the new topic.
3) Insert your image into the topic
4) Change to TOC View - DO NOT ADD THE NEW PAGE TO THE TOC
5) Display "parent" topic, the one in your TOC, the one to create the link in
6) Create your popup, be it text or an image, by selecting and clicking Insert > Popup

In the Popup window, go down to "Select destination (file or URL)" and navigate to where you see the topic you just created above.

Click on the topic in the list and see your image previewed in the right pane.

Select the desired "Hyperlink Options" (how/where to display).

Click the OK button.

Save and generate your project.

Test generated project to see if "popup" now works.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2007 Jul 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux Rules that did the trick. Thanks a lot for the help. Any thoughts as to why this might have started happening?

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2007 Jul 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: 5.0Montecarlo
Linux Rules that did the trick. Thanks a lot for the help. Any thoughts as to why this might have started happening?

Gary

Hello Gary -

You're welcome.

As to "why" - if it was me, I could claim it was a "senior moment"... 8^)

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp