• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator cc 2014 grid snap problem

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Updating to the whole cc2014 suite last week, grid snapping in Illustrator has been terrible. Literally Nothing really snaps to the grid.

Does anyone share this problem? Anyone has a solution to this?

And Yes, i've turned off 'align to pixel grid'.

I'm working on a mac with OSX 10.9.3 running.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2014 Jul 05, 2014

It's not a bug.

New rectangles are always live rectangles. Live rectangles cannot be aligned to the pixel grid because it would break them.

What you need to do is convert your live rectangles to paths (using the command in Object > Shape) and then align them to the pixel grid (by checking the option in the transform panel). You can do this for all of them at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced the very same problem. Snap to grid works only on creating new shape. After that, I cannot resize shape using Selection Tool and snap it to the grid. None of changes I've made in settings actually works. It's crucial feature and without this my workflow is ruined. I'm working on PC with Windows 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2014 Jul 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact issue. Before I upgraded to Illustrator CC 2014 I was using Illustrator CS6 and resizing a rectangle that's *off* the pixel grid would snap it to the pixel grid correctly. The snapping to pixel grid is the main reason I use Illustrator for web UI design. There were some bugs in CS6, like if the artboard was not snapped to the pixel grid then all the elements on the page would be off the pixel grid at the same distance that the artboard was off. That was an easy fix - just realign the artboard to the pixel grid and all the rectangle objects would snap to the grid when resized. But with Illustrator CC 2014 nothing snaps to the pixel grid.

HOW TO REPRODUCE:

1. Create a new document.
  2. Go to Pixel Preview.
  3. Zoom in to pixel level.
  4. Drag a rectangle on the screen.
  5. As you can see - IT IS snapped to the pixel grid (it happens only on creation).
  6. Grab the free transform anchor point and drag it up and to the right.
  7. As you can see - IT IS NOT snapped to the pixel grid.
  8. Try to drag the corner to free transform it to snap to the pixel grid. It doesn't work.
  9. Try to snap it to the pixel grid - it doesn't snap.
  10. Try to snap it to the pixel grid - it doesn't snap.
  11. ...
  12. Profit? No.

SCREENCAST:

http://quick.as/y0rwhymv

GIF:

As you can see it's very hard to snap to pixel. And even when it looks like it snaps, it actually is not on the pixel grid line.

cc2014_bug.gif

cc2014_bug.gif

Dragging new rectangle:

1create.png

1create.png

Resize it using free transform - gets off the pixel grid.

2drag.png

2drag.png

Continue to try to snap it back to the pixel grid using the transform tool, but still doesn't work:

3drag.png

3drag.png

Rinse and repeat. Still really bad. Snapping to pixel doesn't work anymore!

4drag-but-nothing.png

4drag-but-nothing.png

As you can see there is no way of snapping a rectangle back to the pixel grid!! Here are my settings:

5settings.png

5settings.png

Illustrator team - PLEASE FIX THIS BUG! I love using Illustrator for web design and UI mockups, but this bug makes it almost useless. There's no way to create pixel perfect designs with this bug. I hope all the information I provided above helps pinpoint the bug. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a bug.

New rectangles are always live rectangles. Live rectangles cannot be aligned to the pixel grid because it would break them.

What you need to do is convert your live rectangles to paths (using the command in Object > Shape) and then align them to the pixel grid (by checking the option in the transform panel). You can do this for all of them at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh got it! So now when I create a rectangle on the canvas, it's this new "Live Rectangle" instead of a normal rectangle that I came to love. Hmm okay that's good to know. I was wondering what was with all those fancy new anchor boxes.

Is there a way for me to turn off this "Live Rectangle" feature for new rectangles? It's more cumbersome to have to do a Object > Shape > Expand Rectangle operation for every new rectangle I add. Feels odd to force every user to fit to this workflow, specifically those that use AI for web design. If there's no easy way, maybe there's a shortcut to expand the rectangle? Or a script that will run when i add a new rectangle? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same question here: how to turn off the ‘live rectangle’ by default?

This is really annoying when you have to do it each time for each object when you work with grids. As for me the fact that ‘Live rectangles cannot be aligned to the pixel grid because it would break them’ is a HUUUUUUGE BUUUUUG!

This a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another example of trying to come up with smart little adjustments that aren't really needed but look sexy.  By all means Adobe feel free to add such nonsense functionality but please do not lock everyone out of previously existing functionality - it really, really annoys people and shows a real lack of understanding that when your established customers use your products for a purpose they do not appreciate it when you make such arbitrary decisions - big fail, please sort it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great conclusion !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx pxc - I take no pleasure in venting my frustrations - but this is software upgrade 101 stuff and not worthy of Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m having the same problem here... When I try to re-size a logo, it got completely ruined. Normally I have the Bounding box preview on, so the problem is not related to that. I also like to use the directional tool to transform and it worked fine until 2014 update... I have been using Illustrator since forever and I never thought that I would be annoyed by using it. But this problem with transform tool/living rectangles is too ANNOYING! I can´t work properly. This issue is delaying my work badly.

Please fix it!!!! Illustrator used to be my favorite Adobe app and now just can´t stand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't there been live rectangles since Illustrator CC (2013)?

CC 2013 didn't have the transform window properties, but you could still change the corner radius or type using the direct selection tool.  What features of the new Live Rectangle tool make it unable to snap to the pixel grid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

louiesolomon wrote:

Haven't there been live rectangles since Illustrator CC (2013)?

No. The previous version had live corners.

In case you didn't notice: once you apply live corners to a rectangle, "align to pixel grid" will be turned off automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHAT?! Is this like Steve Jobs saying we're holding it wrong? I don't care if it's live or whatever. it used to work in CC and now it's broke. Please fix. Rectangles should align to the pixel grid if that's what's selected. DUMB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn't really "Snap To" then- it is "Convert Shape->SnapTo".  A "Snap to" feature should be intended to be cursor driven, not menu driven.  I would like to see my rectangles align only with interces and page boundaries- nothing else, if I wnated items to be 4 pixels off of anything, I would move them 4 pixels off.

—Not trying to sound irritated at you of course, just irritated at this previously useful function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also turn off the New Objects Align to Pixel Grid in the Transform flyout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I have the same problem.

If "align to pixel grid" is on from the transform window, the object will snap to the grid, but the object boundaries are not, so width and height are never whole numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you (in Preferences) have Use Preview Bounds checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turn on Use Preview Bounds, the width / height are now right, but the actual preview bounds don't align to the shape. The shape size preview that appears when you drag the shape are not whole numbers either, even if Align To Pixel Grid is on.  See screenshots attached.

Screen Shot 2014-06-27 at 11.29.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-27 at 11.27.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2014 Jun 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Object doesn't snap to grid when re-sizing. Or when moving (with selection tool) either. I've tried all the other suggested options: New Objects Align to Pixel Grid, Align to pixel grid, Bounding box on (from View menu) and Preview bounding box. None of these works for me. OK I wasn't working in pixels but it shouldn't matter what I work in.

Went back to CS6 but with the update, Adobe have messed it up as well.

I am at a loss for words why they would change this function and render it useless (it seems).

ADOBE, CAN WE HAVE THE OLD FUNCTION BACK PLEASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello danny,

Could you please share a screenshots/recording showing the exact problem of snapping? It might be a different problem than the live rectangles behaviour with the Align to Pixel Grid which others in the thread are discussing.

It looks like some of the users are having problems with live rectangles not getting aligned to the pixel grid. This is a behaviour of live rectangles since Align to Pixel Grid (ATPG) breaks a live shape and hence needs be unchecked. To get rid of the given behaviour (ATPG getting unchecked/turned OFF on editing a live rectangle), users can simply expand a live shape via Object>Shape> Expand Rectangle and then continue doing their normal work by turning ON ATPG for those normal rectangles.

Please let us know your feedback. Appreciate your help!

Regards,

Dhirendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dhirendra,

(I'm not Danny but I assume you are directing the email to me.)

When I say it's not snapping to grid, I mean I don't get the little magnetic pulls that snap the edges to one of the gridlines, as Illustrator used to do. I tried your suggested method but I'm still not getting the snapping action – the shape just slides smoothly along the grid.

I attach some screenshots which show:

1) the rectangle not 'snapping' to any lines as I m creating the shape (by dragging on one corner)

2) with ON ATPG off – doing Object>Shape>Expand and then moving or expanding the shape 

3) with ON ATPG on – doing Object>Shape>Expand and then moving or expanding the shape 

I don't get a snapping action with any of these. You can see as the X & Y values are not whole numbers.

I tried it with an ellipse and again there is no snapping going on (with ON ATPG off) when I create it or when I move it around.

SNAP TO GRID just doesn't seem to work on any shape in my Illustrator CC 2014 or the updated CS6. I know I'm not dreaming because i went back to CS4 and the snapping action is working there.

If SNAP TO GRID is working for you, please tell me what you are doing and with what shape.

I am running MAC OSX Mavericks.

Thanks.

Kyun

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry. I got confused and replied to an email directed to Danny.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I have shared my problem. Here are the screenshots

1)

Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 13.56.26.png

2)

Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 13.56.26.png

3)

Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 14.03.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kyunlin,

Will it be possible for you to join the connect session (Adobe Connect Login)? I would be available for next 2 hours. I would like to see the problem here.

Regards,

Dhirendra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dhirendra,

I'm sorry but your reply did not appear on my email and I was unaware that you had contacted me. I would love to accept your invitation to join Adobe Connect Login. Please let me know when you are next logged in.

By the way I am based in the UK, so I am on a different time zone to the US.

Thanks.

--------------------------------

Monika,

I'm sorry but what you said does not work for me. (I think it's the same thing that Dhirendra said and which I tried)

1) Draw rectangle

2) Object/Shape/Expand Rectangle

3) Check 'Align to Pixel grid'

4) View/Snap to Grid

5) Move rectangle around but it's NOT snapping to grid

I'm sorry but it just DOES NOT SNAP to grid.

Next I drew an ellipse. That's not a live rectangle. Well, that DOES NOT SNAP to grid either.

Other people seem to have got the snapping to grid working when they expanded the rectangles but not me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I now realise why Snap to grid wasn't working for me. I think it's because I had 'Align New Object to Pixel Grid' checked (from the flyout of the Transform window) when I created the rectangle and the ellipse.  (At least, that's what I think. I'm sure I didn't have it checked when I first fired up CC2014 and it wasn't snapping to grid then. Maybe one has to open and close Illustrator 20 times before this functionality is working). When this is unchecked, Snapping to grid does work for the ellipse. And for the rectangle, it works after Object>Shape>Expand.

That's the good news.

The bad news is I'm now totally confused as to what 'Align to Pixel grid' actually does if I have to leave it unchecked to have my objects snapping to grid.

And there are some weird things happening when I check it. E.g. after I change a rectangle to a 'dead' rectangle (Object>Shape>Expand) vs live rectangle, and I then go and check the 'Align to Pixel Grid' box, the dimensions of the rectangle changes. I had a 10x10mm square and after I check the ATPG box, the dimensions changed to something like 10.283W x 9.872H. And of course, it doesn't snap to the grid anymore. ?????????

And if I had 'Align New Object to Pixel Grid' checked when I create a circle, the left and right arrows do not move it by 1 grid box. In my case, one move right should be 1mm but it moved by 1.411mm. ??????????

All this is really frustrating, not to mention that I, and other folks, have had to spend so much time just getting the STG basic functionality to work. Surely, surely clear instructions about how you can get this new live rectangle to snap to grid should have been part of the roll-out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines