• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM vs fonts

Advisor ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While aware that some error messages in no wise indicate a genuine problem … I always prefer to keep my source files clean and my error logs empty. So, I'm a bit peeved that the latest irritation appears to be a present from FrameMaker; even more so that it is intermittent and (for me) unpredictable – but since I've started posting I may as well finish:

The "font not found" message when I try to create a .pdf refers to Stag-Book. The PC has, indeed, no font called Stag-Book – the hyphen only appears in the FPostScriptName attribute buried deep in the .mif file.

<PgfFont

<FTag `'>

<FPlatformName `W.Stag Book.R.400'>

<FFamily `Stag Book'>

<FVar `Regular'>

<FWeight `Regular'>

<FAngle `Regular'>

<FPostScriptName `Stag-Book'>

<FEncoding `FrameRoman'>

What's to do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niels

My workaround for font problems like these is to open the MIF file in Notepad++ and replace all the "Stag-Book" font tags with tags of a font which I do have, for example Myriad Pro:

<Font

<FTag `myriam'>

<FPlatformName `W.Myriad Pro.R.400'>

<FFamily `Myriad Pro'>

<FVar `Regular'>

<FWeight `Regular'>

<FAngle `Regular'>

<FPostScriptName `MyriadPro-Regular'>

<FEncoding `FrameRoman'>

<FSize  12.0 pt>

<FUnderlining FNoUnderlining>

<FOverline No>

<FStrike No>

<FChangeBar No>

<FOutline No>

<FShadow No>

<FPairKern No>

<FTsume No>

<FCase FAsTyped>

<FPosition FNormal>

<FDW  0.0%>

<FStretch  100.0%>

<FLanguage UKEnglish>

<FLocked No>

<FSeparation 0>

<FColor `Black'>

<FBackgroundColor NoColor>

> # end of Font

HTH.

Cheers

Yves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... open the MIF file in Notepad++ and replace all the "Stag-Book" font tags ...

And if that doesn't stick, the font invocation is probably coming in from an external object.

Text insets are an obvious candidate, but this can also happen with imported graphics from file formats that support text as fonts, such as EPS, PDF, and perhaps DXF or DWG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...but this can also happen with imported graphics from file formats that support text as fonts, such as EPS, PDF, and perhaps DXF or DWG..."

Yeah, this can be a problem when you save the file as PDF, you won't see the font tags of those graphics in the MIF file:

<PgfFont

<FTag `'>

<FPlatformName `W.Stag Book.R.400'>

<FFamily `Stag Book'>

<FVar `Regular'>

<FWeight `Regular'>

<FAngle `Regular'>

<FPostScriptName `Stag-Book'>

<FEncoding `FrameRoman'>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Places fonts can hide include:

• Left master Pages not accessible because document is in single-sided mode.
  • Table format defaults that are not part of any Table Designer menus (create a table for each format with ample rows, columns, header and footer to see what it's using).

> <PgfFont    <FTag `'>

Is that really an empty font tag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always use the Font pod to locate the missing font as well as replacing it with one that you do have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake, and my apologies: what I failed to make clear was that the PC does have a font called Stag Book, which generally behaves as it should. The error message, however, mentions Stag-Book with a hyphen; which I can only find as the FPostScriptName – whatever that is.

<PgfFont    <FTag `'> is just copy/paste from the .mif file, as far as I remember. I'll check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Niels,

That's just one of the quirks of the postscript font naming system. You have a PS_FullName, PS_FamilyName and PS_FontName each with length and character restrictions. It's up to each individual font creator to establish their own names for these. For Linotype fonts, here's a document that explains the house rules for the various namings (since you asked...): http://image.linotype.com/files/pdf/LN0005_V1_2.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines