• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need expression for text marked with multiple conditions

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In FM 8 (Windows XP), how can you show a specific condition (A) when it is the only condition applied to a block of text? I have some text that has two conditions applied (A+B), and I want that text hidden.

I've tried different approaches in the Build Expression dialog box, but get an "Invalid expression" message no matter what I try. What I need Frame to do is "Show A NOT A+B."

We're going to newest version of FM later in the year, so if this cannot be done in FM 8, can it be done in the current version of FM?

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the original FM condition tag approach (Show/Hide logical OR model) and simply set condition A to show and condition B to hide. Any text that has both tags applied will also be hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

If by "the original FM condition tag approach", you mean the Show as Per Condition Show/Hide shuttle boxes, then I do not believe there is a way to specify "OR logic" based on the hidden tags. Before the introduction of conditional expressions, FM always showed conditional text if any of the applied tags were shown, as Show as per Condition still does. I agree with Winfried on this one.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gloria,

With Show as per Condition FrameMaker will show all text which has A applied, no matter, if other conditions are applied as well. This is the OR logic.

If A should be shown and AB should be hidden, you must use this expression:

"A"ANDNOT"B"

A will be shown.

Then the expression checks for B. and hides all text with B.

I admit I experiment, if I want to achieve a specific result, specifically when there are more conditions involved.

Probably this is easier in FrameMaker 12 as it allows to use brackets.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With OR logic, hiding B will hide B along with any combined tags containing B (i.e. A+B).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all very much for your replies. Winfried's approach worked. Sorry, Arnis, the others seem to be right about how the basic logic works. Simply telling FM to show A and hide B does not hide text that has both conditions applied. The ANDNOT expression Winfried provided does work, however. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for any confusion - I was visualizing the AND logic truth table and thinking it was OR; Winfried and Lynne are absolutely correct. [That's what you get for not trying it out... ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't worry about it, Arnis. You're allowed a mistake once every few decades.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines