• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I enter a nonbreaking space?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am using FM 12. Tried the keyboard shortcut per the user guide: \space. Didn't work for me.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

The "\space" is meant for dialogue boxes. Use Ctrl + Space bar to enter a non-breaking space character in your content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "\space" is meant for dialogue boxes. Use Ctrl + Space bar to enter a non-breaking space character in your content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Your reply just helped me find how to type a double prime. Have been searching how to do that and just gave Esc shift " a try and it worked! You can probably tell, I am not only new to FM, I'm also new to Windows having used a Mac since the 90s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your welcome. You will find many former Mac users among the Windows Frame Users (if for no other reason that it was on Mac OS (version 3.2 or was it 3.3) before Windows (version 4). There are many shortcut sheets available through Frame’s help screens. If you have your old Mac manuals you will find shortcuts for both Mac and Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I mistakenly replies to myself, please see above. Drat! TYVM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use \x11 in dialog boxes, although FM may instantly change it to "\ ".

On Unicode-aware versions of FM, you can also use \u00a0 (the Unicode NBS), although I'm not sure there's any reason why you would in preference to \x11. Don't use \u0011, which is legacy control character DC1.

Unicode also has:

\u202f SPACE, NARROW NO-BREAK and

\ufeff SPACE, ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK

I have no idea if FM supports 202F, which might be useful if it does (as a universal thousands separator in large numbers, for example).

Support and uses for FEFF are likewise a mystery. If FM does support FEFF, I wonder if it survives into PDF or any other delivery formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> ... also use \u00a0 (the Unicode NBS),

> although I'm not sure there's any reason

> why you would in preference to \x11.

\x11 apparently does not survive XML round-trip.

Preserving non-breaking spaces in XML round-trip?

\u00a0 would be worth a try in that case, and if it works, that would argue for using Unicode \u notation rather than \x FM Roman in all cases ...

... which further argues for always implementing such special chars as Variables, thus reducing the number of places they need to be changed, and making it relatively easy to propagate changes) ...

... which further argues for using the Unicode formal name (as all caps) in the Var Def, to avoid the Sorcerer's Apprentice problem of pandemic variable proliferation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was so busy with FM, I didn't see how to say thank you. Thank you so much for your quick reply. It helped immensely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines