• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I hide a book or entry within the TOC, based on a parameter?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all. I am currently using RH 11.  Is there a way in which I can hide a book or entry within the TOC, based on a parameter passed in the URL?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Rh10 introduced Dynamic User Centric Content, otherwise known as Content Categories. In one SSL you can create different outputs. The idea is the help is opened with a dropdown where the user can select a category. If you look in the output folder, there is a folder for each category and you can open that help to a specific category. However the user can then select the other categories.

The method is described in the Rh Tour on my site and the sample projects have an SSL showing the method.

To op

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I am aware of. Perhaps if you explain why you want to do this, someone can suggest a different approach.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter.  Thanks for the reply, I guess that I should have been more specific.  What I have is an extensive help resource for a shopping cart application.  However, there are some users of the shopping cart system who won't see certain features.  I was going to try to hide those features' instructions from those users, by passing a parameter in the URL (we can assign whatever help "launch" URL we'd like, in the system).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many permutations of user categories? I am wondering if you could just produce a number of outputs and link to the appropriate one when you know the user type. Not quite what you asked for the same end result.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, Peter.  I may end up with up to 15 categories of users, so I was hoping to work out something in the code.  If need be, I can go the manual route and create 15 versions of help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rh10 introduced Dynamic User Centric Content, otherwise known as Content Categories. In one SSL you can create different outputs. The idea is the help is opened with a dropdown where the user can select a category. If you look in the output folder, there is a folder for each category and you can open that help to a specific category. However the user can then select the other categories.

The method is described in the Rh Tour on my site and the sample projects have an SSL showing the method.

To open a specific category, you point to the start page for the category, it bears the name of the category. Thus the TypeA category can be opened from TypeA.htm.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took at look at it over at your site.  Thanks very much, that will be a terrific help and should do nicely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am using Rh9, and I am building a new section of books and I would not like anyone to see them until they are finished. Is there anything I can do in RH9 to hide them until they are complete?

System Attributes:

RoboHelp HTML V9.0

RoboSource Control 3.1

RoboHelp Server V9.0

WebHelp Pro 9.0.1.262

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Simple to do.

Define a Conditional Build Tag named InProgress or UnderConstruction or whatever makes sense. Apply the tag to the topics. Then use a Conditional Build Expression defined as NOT InProgress or NOT UnderConstruction or whatever you used. When you generate the output the topics will not be included. And if the topics aren't there, the book(s) won't be either.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works like a charm. Very easy to set up.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much, guys.  Great options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp